Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bk4life

No Holt?

Rubio is not a great defender, but the steals stat isn't misleading if you are looking for guys who force a lot of turnovers.  He isn't lucking into those numbers because of the scorekeeper.  And the name of the stat doesn't imply he is a good defender, just that he is good at "stealing" the ball from the offensive player, which is true.

Eh, a number of people only look at stats, and they assume, "Hey this guy has a lot of steals! He is an amazing defender!!!!!!!!!!! LOLZ!" But if you actually watch the guy you realize he isn't really anything special defensively (Rubio in particular holds on just about every single defensive possession). My thing is stats really aren't the end all be all that people make them out to be

I was looking for him to get at least 5 but troy and Stan played really well maybe crean decided to not take people out as soon as they made a good play and let them get momentum in their first game back

This is true...I am the first one to complain about Crean and his substitutions when a kid has a hot hand so,,,,,

Holt's time is coming. Last night would have been an awful time to test Holt out. Tomorrow will be perfect. Unless Hanner steps up big time, Holt could eat into those minutes but last night wasn't worth the risk. Crean played that very well.

Hanner was so darn passive under the basket. He needs to get his timing and jump for blocks at the right time. He either bit on the fake or didn't jump at all. Credit for those 2 charges drawn but that's about it. IMO he was terrible defensively and that is why is foul count was down. He was passive. I have faith he can and will be a lot better this year.

Tomorrow we see what Holt offers. Troy should get 7-10 of Hanner's minutes BTW.

This is true...I am the first one to complain about Crean and his substitutions when a kid has a hot hand so,,,,,

hopefully it stays like that, that has always been my biggest gripe on crean

Eh, a number of people only look at stats, and they assume, "Hey this guy has a lot of steals! He is an amazing defender!!!!!!!!!!! LOLZ!" But if you actually watch the guy you realize he isn't really anything special defensively (Rubio in particular holds on just about every single defensive possession). My thing is stats really aren't the end all be all that people make them out to be

I agree that anyone attempting to determine the ability of a defender by just looking at steals can easily be misled.  As long as you take the stat at face value, steals are very good at determining a players ability at forcing (non-whistled) turnovers.  Anyone trying to place more value on the stat than it's stated purpose is simply misusing it. 

Of course the missapplication of statistics has a long and honored tradition...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

-Mark Twain

Actually it is the fact that we won and Crean made good coaching decisions to help us win that game. It's that simple. You can analyze all the negative aspects of a game all you want but the bottom line is that we won against a quality team.

They may be a decent team but does anyone really think that's a top 20 team in the present state they're in. Interior defense is going to be a major weakness for this team even with Holt and or April.

Hanner needs to stay on his feet and not react to every fake thrown his way.That's fundamental basketball

.He gave up at least 4 easy baskets in the first half getting faked out of his jock.

Top 20 no but will they be dancing? I'm betting they will. I agree Hanner needs to stop falling for the fake. He was in bad position to begin with which is something he'll have to work on. All I know is that on a bad shooting night where we clearly got out rebounded, we still managed to grit it out and pull out the w. Last year this would've been a double digit loss at home.

I think the lineups we saw last night are indicative of the way this team will play and how Crean will sub.  Especially in a game like this where SMU was slowing things down and forcing us to effectively play a half court game the most important aspect of winnning will be limiting mistakes.  

This was a really important game for the Hoosiers.  To risk putting in a freshman who had never played in a D1 game would not have been smart.  I thought the 10 minutes where we played lineups that included 4 guards plus Troy or Hartman were effective and gave us some mismatches.  Those lineups can be important to this team as it allows us to force bigger teams to play how we want to play.  The misconception is that a bigger team will always have the mismatch but I really think the 4 guard with a wing at center give us a big advantage depending on the team.

The only reason this is being discussed is because this was Holt's first game back from suspension.  I don't see any "No Priller?" threads or "No April?" threads.  Crean went with the guys he felt could win this game for the Hoosiers and that is something many criticized him for last year.  I welcome a more tight lineup.  

Excited to see what Holt can bring to the table but I do not expect him to contribute more than 10 mins a game.  I am fine with Hanner giving empty minutes from a box score perspective so long as he is eating minutes, staying on the floor and limiting mistakes, which he did last night.  

I view the center position for IU this year the way I view the starting rotation of my Baltimore Orioles.  We need guys who will eat minutes the same way an average starting pitcher will eat innings.  Win the game by exploiting your other advantages.

Holt's time is coming. Last night would have been an awful time to test Holt out. Tomorrow will be perfect. Unless Hanner steps up big time, Holt could eat into those minutes but last night wasn't worth the risk. Crean played that very well.

Hanner was so darn passive under the basket. He needs to get his timing and jump for blocks at the right time. He either bit on the fake or didn't jump at all. Credit for those 2 charges drawn but that's about it. IMO he was terrible defensively and that is why is foul count was down. He was passive. I have faith he can and will be a lot better this year.

Tomorrow we see what Holt offers. Troy should get 7-10 of Hanner's minutes BTW.

I agree with everything you said except Troy getting some of Hanner's minutes. I think we played our best last night when Troy and Hanner were in the game together. Hanner needs all the minutes he can get. Id play him until he fouled out. Thats the main thing he needs right now is game experience. He has sat on the bench long enough. The only way he gets better and more comfortable is if he plays 

I find it hilarious that there tends to be this jump to personal offense when criticizing any part of the team...I am not saying Hanner is a horrible person just because he is just not that great at his position....Lets have some perspective. We have Holt and April sitting on the bench with scholarships..They were brought in late because they were supposed to be ready to jump right in and contribute. If that is not the case, then maybe Crean should do some evaluation of his recruiting process. Are we going to have another Jurkin or two? Holt's awesome wingspan does us no good on the bench unless we are going for most impressive clapping from the bench award....

I don't think you read the 2nd response...

We did win the game but I think everyone is just trying to look forward to future games. HMP will improve or hopefully will improve. If he plays like last night we aren't going to be any of the really good teams but he should improve. We just need him to rebound and play good defense. He didn't do much of either last night, except some deflections and whatnot. We don't need him to put up 15-10 like Noah or Cody as we have tons of guys that can put the ball in the hoop. We just need to keep improving as this is a better team than I thought. I was thinking a 6-7 point lost last night. I am ready for the Pitts game in about 2 weeks

Ok, I will cave...RAH RAH SIS BOOM BAH! We WIN! King of the world, mah! Etc etc etc....Reality? Who needs it? critical thinking? Nah, we beat an overrated SMU team without their best player! We are gonna run the table!!! WOOHOOOO!!!! Indiana, oh Indiana we're all for you!!! Clap clap clap clap, sweat on forehead..3feet on the floor..clap clap clap...<rolling eyes>....Are some of us under the impression that Crean walked off the floor last night and popped a champagne bottle with the team and then took off for Hawaii??? I guarantee you he is watching film and concentrating on Hanner stats..Hell, interview with Jim Jackson he brought up Holt and it was impression that he must have forgotten about the kid being on the bench...

Once again, glad we won but moved on past that this morning....time to start applying some critical thinking to our performance and figuring out how to address a double zero before Big Ten season starts...

Sorry if I offended some of you that just cannot stand one big of criticism levied at the coaches or team....its not like I asked for the kid to be shot or Crean to be fired...PERSPECTIVE ( looks better in caps)

They weren't missing their best player

When it comes down to it, I personally could care less about individuals stats of players. All I care about is that we won a great game that last years team would've lost. Shows we've improved.

Exactly. If Hanner grabbed 14 rebounds and we lost by 2, we'd be hearing about his awesome job and how we'd have gotten beat by 20, if he hadn't rebounded so well....