Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

God I hope so 

I'm interested in seeing what happens with the B1G/ACC Challenge because those big games air on ESPN. I'm assuming if it's a home game for Indiana, it'll be on Fox, CBS or NBC and if it's Duke it'll be on ESPN. No more Super Tuesday games between Indiana-Michigan State now though for sure. I'm assuming no GameDay Ohio State-Michigan game either. 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

You left out the best part of Rothstein when talking about the NCAA and waivers --

The NCAA continues to hand out waivers like they're seedless watermelon at a 4th of July Party.

They're about to change the rules again to allow for unlimited immediate eligibility transfers instead of just one so that isn't surprising.

Re: Izzo's new contract:

I'm surprised by the lack of "he's too old to coach" posts which were a very common refrain from many posters when we hired Woody.

3 hours ago, DWB said:

I'm surprised by the lack of "he's too old to coach" posts which were a very common refrain from many posters when we hired Woody.

That's not true. The posts were that he was too old to learn how to run a college program. VERY different. 

3 hours ago, DWB said:

This comment makes absolutely zero sense. Izzo has coached MSU for 26 seasons. Woody was coming in and building a program from scratch (with zero college coaching experience). Completely different situations. 

1 hour ago, IUc2016 said:

That's not true. The posts were that he was too old to learn how to run a college program. VERY different. 

49 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This comment makes absolutely zero sense. Izzo has coached MSU for 26 seasons. Woody was coming in and building a program from scratch (with zero college coaching experience). Completely different situations. 

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think they are completely different situations at all, and what makes anybody think that coaching college basketball is so much tougher than coaching pros with salaries and egos in a different galaxy from the coaches?

I just think those of you who portray college as some special kind of situation that only "experience" college coaches can fathom is, well, lets just say I find it hard to comprehend.

4 hours ago, DWB said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think they are completely different situations at all, and what makes anybody think that coaching college basketball is so much tougher than coaching pros with salaries and egos in a different galaxy from the coaches?

I just think those of you who portray college as some special kind of situation that only "experience" college coaches can fathom is, well, lets just say I find it hard to comprehend.

No dog in this back and forth, but chiming in on the big differences between college and NBA coaching - program building. It’s not that college is some special situation, it’s that it’s different in major ways from coaching pro ball.

As a college coach you’re recruiting every year, almost all the time, rebuilding your team all the time with the same win now expectation, meanwhile you’re coaching guys right out of high school, sometimes most of the team, you’re bound by NCAA rules, you’re beholden to the U pres and admin, you’re a, often the face of the school and have to live your life accordingly. 
NBA coaches don’t recruit, that itself is a major difference, they’re coaching professionals, mostly grown men, all of whom are basically the best players in the world — they made the NBA, you’re not rebuilding your team every year, you’re not a face of a University you’re a pro coach answerable only to the owners and League