Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Welcome aboard @SamIam.  Hope to see you as a frequent poster. 

Big thing for a bball coach at ND is much like it is for Holtmann at O$U.  Football is the #1 priority.  Certainly there's a lot of ND alums with serious cash but ponying up for bball vs. Touchdown Jesus I'm not so sure.

29 minutes ago, SamIam said:

While I will always root for Indiana teams, Shrews to ND could be bad for us. First, ND has serious cash. I'm not sure we could outbid them if it came to that. Second, while he wouldn't be in the B1G anymore, he will be in direct competition with us in recruiting. There are very few people on the planet as well connected in this state as Shrews. He recruits La Lu very well already and if he goes to ND he will be right down the street. I obviously don't want him at PSU but its easier for IU if ND sucks haha

I'm not sure I buy that ND had tons of cash relative to IU but I'm pretty sure if they do football is option 1, option 2, and option 3 of where to spend it. That is certainly not the case with IU. Also, if the rumors are true, ND is reluctant to spend it on recruiting. 

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

I'm not sure I buy that ND had tons of cash relative to IU but I'm pretty sure if they do football is option 1, option 2, and option 3 of where to spend it. That is certainly not the case with IU. Also, if the rumors are true, ND is reluctant to spend it on recruiting. 

Thats a fair point but I do think we underestimate how much easier it is for a football school to spend. They might not even need to go to the booster money. They have a top 5 apparel contract, their own TV contract, and they already outspend Purdue on basketball. 

2 hours ago, SamIam said:

While I will always root for Indiana teams, Shrews to ND could be bad for us. First, ND has serious cash. I'm not sure we could outbid them if it came to that. Second, while he wouldn't be in the B1G anymore, he will be in direct competition with us in recruiting. There are very few people on the planet as well connected in this state as Shrews. He recruits La Lu very well already and if he goes to ND he will be right down the street. I obviously don't want him at PSU but its easier for IU if ND sucks haha

This isn’t the 90’s where NDs TV deal sets them apart. On top of that they are really behind the 8 ball on the NIL. If you think some of our alumni are sticks in the mud about NIL you should hear theirs. Their AD even made a half hearted threat to go D3 over the issue. Their football team has lost several recruits over it. 

Otherwise I agree with you about recruiting. But I think he hurts Purdue the most. They kind of recruit the same territory/kids up there. 

15 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

sounded as if he had issues with ND's rules on NIL. 

There are a not-insignificant amount of ND alums who think that kids should get nothing and go solely to ND for the dorm experience and  Sunday service. 

Did anyone else see where Antoine Davis says he feels "cheated" that he didn't get one more game to break the scoring record....what a clown.  Your team was 14-18, you don't deserve a postseason tournament of any kind.  He also played two more season than Marovich...I just couldn't believe when I heard him say he was "cheated"..

8 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

Did anyone else see where Antoine Davis says he feels "cheated" that he didn't get one more game to break the scoring record....what a clown.  Your team was 14-18, you don't deserve a postseason tournament of any kind.  He also played two more season than Marovich...I just couldn't believe when I heard him say he was "cheated"..

Blame the rims that you shot 7/26 on in the Horizon tournament game lol.

That's loser stuff right there.

45 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

And followed it up by saying he still thinks he's the best scorer of his generation ha.

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

Agreed, if there weren't other teams with similar records that got in.

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

I don't remember if it was Maravich's son or grandson, but he said it quite well. Said he would be fine with Davis broke the record if the team he was on had a record that deserved post season play. Pistol Pete is one of my favorite all time players, so I'm glad it wasn't broken.

13 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

I don't remember if it was Maravich's son or grandson, but he said it quite well. Said he would be fine with Davis broke the record if the team he was on had a record that deserved post season play. Pistol Pete is one of my favorite all time players, so I'm glad it wasn't broken.

People do seem to forget, though, that while Maravich set the record in three years, he did so on pretty bad teams (only was above .500 in the SEC once) and he averaged 40+ shots per game on a team on a team that was in the bottom  ten in ppg defensively every year he was there.  Maravich was a great player — obviously Davis doesn’t compare — but his dad was the coach and built a system that really wasn’t built to win but rather get his son shots.

26 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Jalen Wilson has now passed Edey but it’s a close three way race.  Wilson 29.8%, Edey 29.5%, TJD 27.8%.

I just voted and TJD is catching up a bit. TJD 28.5%. Edey 28.9%, and Wilson 29.7%.

3 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Were those the Twitter poll percentages or the Naismith fan vote percentages?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Twitter poll. The Naismith fan vote doesn't show them.

On that note, I checked again and TJD now has ~3% point lead at 31.7% to Wilson's 28.8%. Edey dropped to under 28%. It would be great if the actual votes are close to the twitter ones.

11 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Twitter poll. The Naismith fan vote doesn't show them.

On that note, I checked again and TJD now has ~3% point lead at 31.7% to Wilson's 28.8%. Edey dropped to under 28%. It would be great if the actual votes are close to the twitter ones.

In just 11 minutes, TJD expanded the lead even more.  TJD at 32%, Wilson at 28.8%, Edey 27.7%.  Obviously a lot of this is about voting base, but suck it Purdue.