Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

10 hours ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

Looks like the double bye comes down to IU beating Michigan and Penn State beating Maryland. I’d say it’s a 50% chance of happening.

If I’m figuring this correctly, the most efficient double bye with Indiana as a 3 seed is if:

Michigan beats Illinois.

Rest of Big10 finishes as predicted (Indiana over Michigan, Rutgers over Minnesota, Purdue over Wisconsin, Michigan St over Ohio St, Iowa over Nebraska, Wisconsin over Minnesota, Maryland over Penn State, Purdue over Illinois, Rutgers over Northwestern). Northwestern beating Rutgers would kick Indiana out of the double bye.

A double bye and a 4 seed for Indiana if:

Indiana beats Michigan, Maryland loses to Penn State, and rest of Big10 finish as predicted.

Or (less likely), Nebraska upsets Iowa and the rest plays out as predicted.

If Michigan beats Illinois and Indiana beats Michigan (after their performance against Iowa this is a bold prediction), then Indiana is a 3 seed and out of Purdue’s side of the bracket…barring a whole lot of rather surprising upsets…and even then, I’m not sure it changes anything for Indiana.

Probably 4 of the 10 would make it prior to bid steals:

Arizona State, Clemson, Michigan, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Penn State, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Utah State.

Utah State's lack of a quad one win could be a killer.  Clemson seems out despite 21 wins.  Wisconsin really needs a win when they host Purdue.  Oklahoma State might have played themselves out.  Of those ten, I like Arizona State, Mississippi State and West Virginia the most.  

North Texas really has no chance at an at-large, but that's a team I really like.

18 minutes ago, ray said:

If I’m figuring this correctly, the most efficient double bye with Indiana as a 3 seed is if:

Michigan beats Illinois.

Rest of Big10 finishes as predicted (Indiana over Michigan, Rutgers over Minnesota, Purdue over Wisconsin, Michigan St over Ohio St, Iowa over Nebraska, Wisconsin over Minnesota, Maryland over Penn State, Purdue over Illinois, Rutgers over Northwestern). Northwestern beating Rutgers would kick Indiana out of the double bye.

A double bye and a 4 seed for Indiana if:

Indiana beats Michigan, Maryland loses to Penn State, and rest of Big10 finish as predicted.

Or (less likely), Nebraska upsets Iowa and the rest plays out as predicted.

If Michigan beats Illinois and Indiana beats Michigan (after their performance against Iowa this is a bold prediction), then Indiana is a 3 seed and out of Purdue’s side of the bracket…barring a whole lot of rather surprising upsets…and even then, I’m not sure it changes anything for Indiana.

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

This seems to confirm that. But if we've learned anything the past few days, every other game going as planned is nearly impossible. Based on some travel next week, the most likely, and maybe only chance I'll have to watch on Friday would be if we're the 3 seed. So they need to do this for me.

The most likely scenario they need to get a double bye is Penn State beating Maryland this weekend.  Michigan winning tonight at Illinois would also help as would Nebraska somehow upsetting Iowa in Iowa City.  This all depends on IU taking care of business against Michigan of course.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

North Carolina wouldn't even be sniffing the NCAA if they weren't North Carolina. 

They got bailed out by the NCAA on the academic cheating but then the NCAA came to a really insane conclusion by saying that not only were athletes taking these classes but so was everybody else. I think in that case the NCAA missed the mark as they always do.

7 minutes ago, OliviaPope40 said:

They got bailed out by the NCAA on the academic cheating but then the NCAA came to a really insane conclusion by saying that not only were athletes taking these classes but so was everybody else. I think in that case the NCAA missed the mark as they always do.

Not everyone else but they were available to the whole student body. At that point it becomes a question of academic quality, which is outside of the purview of the NCAA and a matter of accreditation. UNC risked accreditation to cheat but that was a loophole of the NCAA's own making. 

18 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Has Purdue played a team at full strength this season? 

Both of their remaining B1G games may be against teams without their point guards; Hepburn tonight and Jaden Epps on Illinois on Sunday (who is almost certain to be out). 

Matthew Mayer may also be out for Illinois because, like an unattended Labrador Retriever puppy, it is entirely likely that he will ingest an entire box of Ex-Lax (thinking they are tasty, healthy chocolates) a few hours before game-time.