Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Thought it convenient the officials gave the Buckeyes a free timeout at the end of the game with some sort of review or discussion when they had none left.  Fortunately, it didn't help them win the game.

I think it was for the foul out of a player.

33 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m guessing after the second time you step into the lane they will give a team a delay of game warning.   If they do it again it would be a tech 

I'm thinking you could probably get away with it an extra time or two if it is a different player each time. It wasn't at the end of the game nor was it very recent but I seem to recall a game with multiple lane violations in a row on the same team.

12 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Strategy question:

Let's say you are up 3 with a few seconds left.  You foul your opponent and they go to the line.  They hit the first.  The only chance they have is to miss, get the rebound and make the shot.

1.  Can you simply not step into the lane for a lane violation?  If they miss they get another free throw, but can you not just keep doing that until they accidentally make it?

2.  Barring that can you simply not step into the lane and block the ball at the rim to give goal tending to make the free throw good so they have no chance at a rebound?

These are really interesting. I'm sure they have to have something in place to stop this or would introduce something quickly.

delay of game technical for one or both?

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

These are really interesting. I'm sure they have to have something in place to stop this or would introduce something quickly.

delay of game technical for one or both?

I believe I've actually seen #2 occur -- where the team blocks the free throw at the rim to give the automatic goal tend.

I actually found it -- video talking about when Kentucky actually did it but the situation was different.  It wouldn't work in the scenario I listed above.

Goaltending a free throw is a technical foul and the shooting team is awarded two free throws.  This is the situation in which Kentucky did it, knowing full well of the technical:

Georgia was up one in the SEC tournament and at the line with 1.2 seconds left.  No timeouts for Kentucky.  The Bulldogs were going to intentionally miss the second free throw as 1.2 seconds likely was not enough for UK to get the rebound and then get off a desperation heave.  UK intentionally blocked the free throw, giving Georgia a two point lead and two free throws.  So now Georgia had a 2 point lead and two free throws but UK would get the ball after the free throws.  If Georgia misses either, UK has a chance to throw it down the court on the in bounds and score.  Georgia didn't miss so it was moot.

My midweek updated top 25 WAR values

1.  Kansas 16-2 +5.93

2.  Purdue 17-1 +5.87

3.  Alabama 16-2 +5.78

4.  Gonzaga 15-3 +5.04

5.  Houston 18-1 +4.51

6.  Kansas St 16-2 +4.43

7.  UCLA 16-2 +4.01

8.  Xavier 15-3 +3.55

9.  Iowa St 13-2 +3.38

10.  Virginia 14=3 +3.37

11. Auburn 15-3 +3.24

12. Texas 15-2 +3.24

13. Marquette 15-5 +3.14

14. Arizona 15-3 +3.12

15. Tennessee 15-3 +3.06

16. U Conn 15-5 +3.05

17. Miami (F) 15-3 +2.78

18. Florida Atlantic 15-1 +2.68

19. Charleston 17-1 +2.66

20.  San Diego St 13-4 +2.37

21. Baylor 13-5 +2.34

22. Arizona St 15-3 +2.33

23. New Mexico 15-2 +2.28

24. Missouri 14-4 +2.04

25. NC State 15-4 +1.97

Close:  TCU 14-3 +1.89, St. Mary's 15-4 +1.82, Boise St 14-4 +1.8, Nevada 14-5 +1.77, Wisconsin 12-5 +1.7

Thought it convenient the officials gave the Buckeyes a free timeout at the end of the game with some sort of review or discussion when they had none left.  Fortunately, it didn't help them win the game.

I think it was for the foul out of a player.

I actually think it was a review of getting the game clock EXACTLY right for the second time in about as many possessions after Nebraska made the bad inbounds pass that led to OSU’s final possession. I remember thinking it’s crap that Holtmann used all their timeouts essentially without the consequence of not being able to set up a final play. I could be wrong, though.

This makes me wonder if they would ever institute something in the particular scenario that would keep things the way they were intended. Getting a free timeout has the potential to affect the outcome of the game although there’s no way to ever prove it. Some could also argue that both teams get to use that time equally. It just irks me that a team who burned all of their allotted timeouts still gets to utilize more than ample strategy time, often longer than a typical timeout, while officials have a convention at the scorer’s table. Maybe the 5 players on the floor should be required to stand under their basket instead of going to their benches. Yes, coaches could still communicate from the bench but that wouldn’t be much different than the likes of in-game communication from coach to player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 hours ago, lillurk said:

I thought IU should’ve nabbed Holtmann during the cycle they got Archie, at least assuming Donovan was out of reach and Sean Miller was radioactive.

Holtmann has clearly been one step better than Archie was, but at this point I think it’s clear the outcome would not have been much different.

In retrospect that 2017 coaching candidate board was pretty grim.  Archie, Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, Steve Alford, Chris Holtmann, Dane Fife, Mike White, etc.  Archie wasn't the answer but man that list was full of misses. 

12 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I actually think it was a review of getting the game clock EXACTLY right for the second time in about as many possessions after Nebraska made the bad inbounds pass that led to OSU’s final possession. I remember thinking it’s crap that Holtmann used all their timeouts essentially without the consequence of not being able to set up a final play. I could be wrong, though.

This makes me wonder if they would ever institute something in the particular scenario that would keep things the way they were intended. Getting a free timeout has the potential to affect the outcome of the game although there’s no way to ever prove it. Some could also argue that both teams get to use that time equally. It just irks me that a team who burned all of their allotted timeouts still gets to utilize more than ample strategy time, often longer than a typical timeout, while officials have a convention at the scorer’s table. Maybe the 5 players on the floor should be required to stand under their basket instead of going to their benches. Yes, coaches could still communicate from the bench but that wouldn’t be much different than the likes of in-game communication from coach to player.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Or there could be another official or group of officials that are reviewing plays. If there is a question about a play they could quickly provide the information (possession, time, etc.) to keep the game flow. They could also cap the time allotted for reviews.

1 hour ago, craigyv88 said:

In retrospect that 2017 coaching candidate board was pretty grim.  Archie, Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, Steve Alford, Chris Holtmann, Dane Fife, Mike White, etc.  Archie wasn't the answer but man that list was full of misses. 

Yeah, I didn’t mention it in the post you’re quoting but the best real option IU had then might have been just getting Coach Woodson four years earlier.

We know he wanted the job. Would’ve gotten slightly ahead of the mini-boom of NBA coaches using clout. Obviously not everyone has been pleased with the last six weeks but I think there’s a case even if you’re in that camp that having him here earlier would’ve been better than what we had or could’ve had on the list you have

Edited by lillurk
Added “or could’ve had on the list you have” at end

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ND head coach Mike Brey has announced his retirement at the end of the current season.  He's the winningest coach in ND history with 481 wins.

And just like that Brady Dunlap, and Parker Fredrichson are available again. Both are intriguing for IU.

6 hours ago, craigyv88 said:

Well, you forgot Billy Donavan, lol.

I have in the back of my mind -- and I'm guessing a lot of folks here do as well -- that in 2-3 years, when Woody decides it's time to hang up the clipboard, we just head up to Muncie and have a little chat with Michael Lewis. 

So far, he seems to be doing pretty well at BSU -- 13-5 after they won just 14 games all of last season. 

Wonder if Notre Dame might see an instate commodity, give him a look and foil those plans!  

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I have in the back of my mind -- and I'm guessing a lot of folks here do as well -- that in 2-3 years, when Woody decides it's time to hang up the clipboard, we just head up to Muncie and have a little chat with Michael Lewis. 

So far, he seems to be doing pretty well at BSU -- 13-5 after they won just 14 games all of last season. 

Wonder if Notre Dame might see an instate commodity, give him a look and foil those plans!  

I agree, I think Mike could've had a number of jobs.  Might be a reason he chose Muncie?!