Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Not sure that's racist. Age discrimination, maybe. Stereotype of an athlete, maybe. Not sure it was racist though. But then again I don't know the character of the individual.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Questioning whether an african american player can read is pretty obviously racist.

Doubt they make that comment if it were Trey Galloway or Miller Kopp

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

Questioning whether an african american player can read is pretty obviously racist.

I believe the professionals that name this stuff would call it "implicit bias," or, in layman's terms, stereotyping. 

And while we won't know, it seems less likely that Miller Kopp or Gallo would have received that comment.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I believe the professionals that name this stuff would call it "implicit bias," or, in layman's terms, stereotyping. 

And while we won't know, it seems less likely that Miller Kopp or Gallo would have received that comment.

In my career, I deal with this very very often. Do you want him to explicitly say black people can't read to call it racism? Or is that still stereotyping?

Implicit bias is unintentional and unaware. You will be hard pressed to get me to believe that comment fits that bill

14 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Lol. Not racist at all. More likely, "he's an IU player, he can't read" type of stupidity from a Purdue fan or "he's too young and never learned cursive."

Can we just talk about how stupid the 'joke' was?  First poster says that cursive is becoming a lost art -- meaning kids aren't taught it.  Follow up 'joke' is to say 'I'll bet that an IU player can't understand it!".....well, yeah, because as the first poster pointed out, it isn't taught.

Analogy:

Me:  College kids today don't know how use a rotary phone

Indiana Jokester:  I'll bet a player on Purdue can't do it!

Me:  So your joke is basically to repeat what I said but replace 'college kid' with 'Purdue'?

Point being:  the joke is either racist, stupid, or both.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Can we just talk about how stupid the 'joke' was?  First poster says that cursive is becoming a lost art -- meaning kids aren't taught it.  Follow up 'joke' is to say 'I'll bet that an IU player can't understand it!".....well, yeah, because as the first poster pointed out, it isn't taught.

Analogy:

Me:  College kids today don't know how use a rotary phone

Indiana Jokester:  I'll bet a player on Purdue can't do it!

Me:  So your joke is basically to repeat what I said but replace 'college kid' with 'Purdue'?

Point being:  the joke is either racist, stupid, or both.

It's just stupid and childish. 

42 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Semi-related, I still remember walking into 7th grade and being told we would never write in cursive again.

I was like, what? Why did I have to learn how to do it then?? Lol

My 3rd grade year, 02-03, we had to write in cursive for literally everything... Never had to use it again. 

Apparantley Chris Beard was given the option to resign and chose not to.  Probably going to examine his legal options to get paid.

However, from what I've heard he's not going to have a case.  He had a 'just clause' in his contract that stated he could be fired if he were charged with a felony -- not just if he was convicted.

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

You missed the point about cursive. They don’t teach people cursive in schools anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

What’s sad is that when something like this is said the first reaction of so many is that it IS racist.

Tell me more. Is is sad that’s the reaction because there are racist people ? 

Or because we want to pretend it doesn’t exist

10 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Racism does exist and is a big enough problem on it's own accord that it doesn't need to be brought into things when it's not likely the issue. It gets used haphazardly quite a bit, which only fuels the divide.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Nobody thinks it doesn’t exist. But to take that post about cursive writing and wonder if a 21 year old can read it and immediately jump to “it’s racist” is a Gumby sized reach

28 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Tell me more. Is is sad that’s the reaction because there are racist people ? 

Or because we want to pretend it doesn’t exist

I don’t doubt racism exists, same as I can’t tell 100% sure it WAS racist.

What I CAN tell you is that every time something happens, when a person of color is involved it doesn’t automatically mean it was intentional racism.

This very easily could be a idiot Purdue fan trying to dog on an IU player, period. All because someone is a tactless idiot doesn’t necessarily make them a racist.