Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

2019-20 Michigan State is really that distant.  22-9 overall, finished ranked 9th before the season was called.

I think PU will lose 10 when it's all said and done. 12-8 in B1G reg season.

Not just HOW we lost to them but HOW we looked losing to them.

Glad Woody brought rebounding up in a recent interview. I’m sure it’s not the first time he’s mentioned it to the team but several on here brought it up in the first handful of cupcakie games. Unfortunately, our ceiling is limited by what’s between the ears and that hasn’t and won’t change with this group.

Just shows there is still a gap for IU when competing with really good teams away from home.    IU has played the 4, 6, 16, and 21 NET all away from home and ended up 1-3.   Would have been nice if they had found a way to compete better but at the end of the day a team full of players that have never had success away from home  struggled.     The telling quote from Woodson to me has been in those games they learned they have to play harder.   That’s easily noticeable in these games when you rewatch them.  Until they get a culture where they play hard every single night they will continue to struggle on the road against top level teams and struggle with lesser teams on the road.   I’m curious as to how they respond on the road with teams like Iowa,  Northwestern, Sparty, Penn st.   They have already shown they can’t compete with the upper level teams on the road but who will they look against these teams.    Small margins for error.   Basketball is funny.   They have 3 losses and have some good wins and have put themselves in great position but with the way they competed in those losses I can see why some are worried.    They are a solid 5 seed as of today but the crazy thing would be if they flipped just one of those losses to a win then they are probably a solid 3 seed.   Buckle up January should be interesting 

20 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just shows there is still a gap for IU when competing with really good teams away from home.    IU has played the 4, 6, 16, and 21 NET all away from home and ended up 1-3.   Would have been nice if they had found a way to compete better but at the end of the day a team full of players that have never had success away from home  struggled.     The telling quote from Woodson to me has been in those games they learned they have to play harder.   That’s easily noticeable in these games when you rewatch them.  Until they get a culture where they play hard every single night they will continue to struggle on the road against top level teams and struggle with lesser teams on the road.   I’m curious as to how they respond on the road with teams like  Iowa,  Northwestern, Sparty, Penn st.   They have already shown they can’t compete with the upper level teams on the road but who will they look against these teams.    Small margins for error.   Basketball is funny.   They have 3 losses and have some good wins and have put themselves in great position but with the way they competed in those losses I can see why some are worried.    They are a solid 5 seed as of today but the crazy thing would be if they flipped just one of those losses to a win then they are probably a solid 3 seed.   Buckle up January should be interesting 

And this is why I am worried. The past decade, and this group of players especially, has found every way possible to lose those types of games. Games where the IU is probably more talented, but just finds ways to lose due to bad culture

21 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just shows there is still a gap for IU when competing with really good teams away from home.    IU has played the 4, 6, 16, and 21 NET all away from home and ended up 1-3.   Would have been nice if they had found a way to compete better but at the end of the day a team full of players that have never had success away from home  struggled.     The telling quote from Woodson to me has been in those games they learned they have to play harder.   That’s easily noticeable in these games when you rewatch them.  Until they get a culture where they play hard every single night they will continue to struggle on the road against top level teams and struggle with lesser teams on the road.   I’m curious as to how they respond on the road with teams like  Iowa,  Northwestern, Sparty, Penn st.   They have already shown they can’t compete with the upper level teams on the road but who will they look against these teams.    Small margins for error.   Basketball is funny.   They have 3 losses and have some good wins and have put themselves in great position but with the way they competed in those losses I can see why some are worried.    They are a solid 5 seed as of today but the crazy thing would be if they flipped just one of those losses to a win then they are probably a solid 3 seed.   Buckle up January should be interesting 

This Iowa game is gonna be interesting for more than a few reasons. Some of the story lines:

• Does Trayce look like the active, healthy Trayce of pre-back injury UNC?
  • Can Malik Reneau turn up his motor against solid competition? That freshman wall came very early for him.
  • Can Jordan G show out like he did at the end of last year? Against Kennesaw he was much more active.
  • Can Tamar Bates sustain his new status as a primary offensive option? It's a lot easier to do so against other teams backups - now he's gonna try to be one of our first options against starting lineups.
  • Can we get a tough-it-out road win? Other than Minnesota those are all gonna be hard in conference, but getting one would be a major confidence boost.
  • Can Gallo become the player that other teams hate? I'm not seeing that the way we used to.

There's a lot to like; Gallo, Bates, Kopp, and JHS are all upgrades over last year. If we can get things generally squared and THEN get a healthy X back it could be a special year. No guarantees any of this will happen though.

Obviously the closing margins were disappointing, but IU was within striking distance deep in the second half in both the Rutgers and Arizona games — Kansas was the only truly non-competitive one. (Which makes sense, as the one elite team they played on the road thus far.)

If, indeed, they learned, then hopefully the non-conference road/neutral games pay dividends in the B1G.

4 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just shows there is still a gap for IU when competing with really good teams away from home.    IU has played the 4, 6, 16, and 21 NET all away from home and ended up 1-3.   Would have been nice if they had found a way to compete better but at the end of the day a team full of players that have never had success away from home  struggled.     The telling quote from Woodson to me has been in those games they learned they have to play harder.   That’s easily noticeable in these games when you rewatch them.  Until they get a culture where they play hard every single night they will continue to struggle on the road against top level teams and struggle with lesser teams on the road.   I’m curious as to how they respond on the road with teams like Iowa,  Northwestern, Sparty, Penn st.   They have already shown they can’t compete with the upper level teams on the road but who will they look against these teams.    Small margins for error.   Basketball is funny.   They have 3 losses and have some good wins and have put themselves in great position but with the way they competed in those losses I can see why some are worried.    They are a solid 5 seed as of today but the crazy thing would be if they flipped just one of those losses to a win then they are probably a solid 3 seed.   Buckle up January should be interesting 

Mostly agree, but with some caveats. 

I would put Xavier in the "upper level teams" category (now 12-3 and a hell of a W against UCONN), that was a strong road W, and saying IU hasn't shown it can compete with the upper level teams on the road glosses over that we were without JHS against AZ (and did still make a run at it in the second) and for that matter @Rutgers. Both JHS and X, imo, are critical to our ability to win against good teams and especially on the road. Losing X for at least most of the season is a real obstacle to our getting to where we expect(ed), Gallo is not a point but is really going to have to step up.

21 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Yes, but no telling how many -- they had 11 points but the polltracker link only lists the media votes.  FWIW, 11 points would put them 37th in the coach's poll

Using the same logic, purdoodoo (#1 in the coaches poll) would be #13 in the AP. That seems to make sense

How many people truly felt we were going to win @Rutger or neutral vs. Arizona in the second half? The only uncertainty for me was the final margin of defeat. This team doesn't have "it" and it shows. That doesn't make we're a bad team (we're not Minny or NW bad, although they could beat us on the road) but it does mean we're just somewhere in the middle of the Big 1.o.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

How many people truly felt we were going to win @Rutger or neutral vs. Arizona in the second half? The only uncertainty for me was the final margin of defeat. 

I would say that I got pretty hopeful in that 2nd half of Arizona.  I thought there was a chance we could "steal" it.  

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

How many people truly felt we were going to win @Rutger or neutral vs. Arizona in the second half? The only uncertainty for me was the final margin of defeat. This team doesn't have "it" and it shows. That doesn't make we're a bad team (we're not Minny or NW bad, although they could beat us on the road) but it does mean we're just somewhere in the middle of the Big 1.o.

In the Arizona game I did. Also when we had the lead in the second half at Rutgers I had no reason to think we couldn't pull the game out.

NCAA recommending 25% of teams eligible to participate in championships. That would bump the men's and women's tourneys from 68 to 90 teams. 

You get a tourney bid! You get a tourney bid!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/35372595/ncaa-recommendations-call-bigger-championship-events

NCAA recommending 25% of teams eligible to participate in championships. That would bump the men's and women's tourneys from 68 to 90 teams. 
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/35372595/ncaa-recommendations-call-bigger-championship-events
Ha! Beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Using the same logic, purdoodoo (#1 in the coaches poll) would be #13 in the AP. That seems to make sense

Not sure what you are referring to.  Rutgers isn’t ranked in the coaches poll and didn’t receive votes.

33 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Would be a step towards ruining a great product.

I'd have to imagine every team from a power conference over .500 would get a tournament bid if this gets adopted.  

Forget making the regular season meaningless, it would make the first round of the tournament meaningless.

But they've already ruined college football's postseason, so why stop them now?