Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Tonight’s takeaways.

Winning on the road is very tough. Great wins for Tenn and Xavier.

Sean Miller is a helluva coach. That win was always going to be huge. Not sure we’d beat them right now but that doesn’t matter.

Always fun to see UK get rocked. Hate that Nike$$ always gives them a shot at a reload. Their class next year is ridiculous. Doesn’t even matter what they do on the court this year. Frustrating.

As far as the IU vs UK debate this season? Hard to say. I have IU about 18-25 and UK somewhere slightly behind us. We’ve looked bad as have they. Not a lot separating us.

Great games tonight! Still too long of a wait for @Iowa. Not feeling overly confident in that one. Murray will be back. Expecting a L.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I get why their fans are panicking right now though.    Preseason #4 team with 0 Q1 wins.   1-4 against real competition with their only Power 6 win against Michigan team that lost their pg mid game.   As of now 0 wins against any projected field teams.   They need some wins against some good teams.    Yale and Duquesne can’t be some of your top wins heading into the new year 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I get why their fans are panicking right now though.    Preseason #4 team with 0 Q1 wins.   1-4 against real competition with their only Power 6 win against Michigan team that lost their pg mid game.   As of now 0 wins against any projected field teams.   They need some wins against some good teams.    Yale and Duquesne can’t be some of your top wins heading into the new year 

They'll have their chances.... They have LSU coming up(though hard to say what direction LSU will go), AT Bama, AT Tennessee, Kansas, Arkansas, AT Mississippi State, Tennessee, Auburn and AT Arkansas. 

9 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Tonight’s takeaways.

Winning on the road is very tough. Great wins for Tenn and Xavier.

Sean Miller is a helluva coach. That win was always going to be huge. Not sure we’d beat them right now but that doesn’t matter.

Always fun to see UK get rocked. Hate that Nike$$ always gives them a shot at a reload. Their class next year is ridiculous. Doesn’t even matter what they do on the court this year. Frustrating.

As far as the IU vs UK debate this season? Hard to say. I have IU about 18-25 and UK somewhere slightly behind us. We’ve looked bad as have they. Not a lot separating us.

Great games tonight! Still too long of a wait for @Iowa. Not feeling overly confident in that one. Murray will be back. Expecting a L.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

For me it's not hard to say about the IU vs UK debate this year so far:

USPS covered the "IU vs UK resume test" so far this year; it's not remotely comparable. UK has beaten no one, and at times has struggled to beat "no-ones." FAMU cut the UK lead to seven at Rupp last week at the under 8 minute second half timeout. That's KenPom #357 FAMU with zero wins against D1 teams and nail biters against Edward Waters College and Albany State.

As for the eye test? As usual during the past five or so years, UK looks great on a "talent out of high school ranking list" and they have the returning National Player of the Year, but if you have been watching their games? They look disorganized on both ends, and their body language when faced with adversity is really horrible; below any other supposedly above-average team that I've seen. If UK played Nebraska on a neutral site this weekend I'd take Nebraska even. I'm fine with $$ giving them a shot at a reload because a new, reloaded roster next year won't likely change their culture.

Last night Gates coached his team and Calipari yelled at players. Trey Gomillion and Sean East, guards that had a combined zero hs ranking stars and were at Cleveland State and John Logan Community College last year, ate Kentucky alive last night simply because they played hard and with confidence. Could it change? Sure, I guess. But while UK will likely get a feel-good day against a 2-10 Louisville team at home this Saturday, after that they play SEC teams, and even if they play better they're going to have to deal with adversity. Right now they have a bunch of five stars on the bench who look sad that they don't get run.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me it's not hard to say the about the IU vs UK debate this year so far:

USPS covered the "IU vs UK resume test" so far this year; it's not remotely comparable. UK has beaten no one, and at times has struggled to beat "no-ones." FAMU cut the UK lead to seven at Rupp last week at the under 8 minute second half timeout. That's KenPom #357 FAMU with zero wins against D1 teams and nail biters against Edward Waters College and Albany State.

As for the eye test? As usual during the past five or so years, UK looks great on a "talent out of high school ranking list" and they have the returning National Player of the Year, but if you have been watching their games? They look disorganized on both ends, and their body language when faced with adversity is really horrible; below any other supposedly above-average team that I've seen. If UK played Nebraska on a neutral site this weekend I'd take Nebraska even. I'm fine with $$ giving them a shot at a reload because a new, reloaded roster next year won't likely change their culture.

Last night Gates coached his team, and Calipari yelled at players. Trey Gomillion and Sean East, guards that had a combined zero hs ranking stars and were at Cleveland State and John Logan Community College last year, ate Kentucky alive last night simply because they played hard and with confidence. Could it change? Sure, I guess. But while UK will likely get a feel-good day against a 2-10 Louisville team at home this Saturday, after that they play SEC teams, and even if they play better they're going to have to deal with adversity. Right now they have a bunch of five stars on the bench who look sad that they don't get run.

I remember there being chatter on here several years ago about East, while he was at New Albany. I watched a couple of their games and even though he was small, he impressed me. Awesome to see him getting a shot and taking full advantage. 

13 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Pshhhh… 

Missouri doesn’t look that good. But they play hard and Kentucky most certainly does not.

Why Kentucky is still ranked as an 8-3 hot mess is beyond me.

Kobe Brown for Mizzou is the definition of a terrific college player. Game doesn’t translate to the next level and he’s about to turn 23. But, he’s just a tough, physical kid who wants it more than the other guy. Winning player. Love him. If Trayce had his temperament he’d actually be the player the national guys love to tell us he is.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

Kobe Brown for Mizzou is the definition of a terrific college player. Game doesn’t translate to the next level and he’s about to turn 23. But, he’s just a tough, physical kid who wants it more than the other guy. Winning player. Love him. If Trayce had his temperament he’d actually be the player the national guys love to tell us he is.

Gates has a team that fits his personality to a tee. Kobe Brown, Nick Honor from Clemson is 5'9" 210 lbs and looks like a retired football player, Gomillion, Sean East. 

"I have always maintained that in basketball the importance of the mental to the physical is about four to one."  Quote by you know who. 

13 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And Kentuckys 3 losses are against Michigan State in Indy in double OT, at Gonzaga by 16 and to UCLA by ten on a neutral court. Out losses are by 15 at a mediocre Rutgers where they treated us as Mizzou is treating UK right now. To Arizona who pretty much handled us with ease on a neutral court. And then made to look like a SWAC team at Kansas. 

I know Stuhoo already covered this, but you can't ignore the fact that IU has 2 quad 1 wins and UK has none. UK shouldn't be ranked, taking Mizzou on the ML last night was easy money.

40 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

A ton of games today but not many good ones for the power conferences.   Butler/Providence and Iowa/Nebraska. 

north Texas/FAU probably going to be game of the night 

Murray is back for Iowa. Is an intriguing match up of two teams who are going in opposite directions 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Gates has a team that fits his personality to a tee. Kobe Brown, Nick Honor from Clemson is 5'9" 210 lbs and looks like a retired football player, Gomillion, Sean East. 

"I have always maintained that in basketball the importance of the mental to the physical is about four to one."  Quote by you know who. 

Very much so. They are really mentally tough, that KU whuppin’ notwithstanding. But, it does annoy me just a hair that in every Mizzou game the announcers go on and on about how it’s a completely new roster. It is, but they’re grown-a$$ men and they’ve played a lot of ball. It’s not like Bama working with 4 freshman in rotation.

43 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

A ton of games today but not many good ones for the power conferences.   Butler/Providence and Iowa/Nebraska. 

north Texas/FAU probably going to be game of the night 

IU alumnus Dusty May is doing a hell of a job at FAU. The Owls are a traditional doormat, but he has them at 11-1 with a win over Florida, and the only loss was at Ole Miss. 

11 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

IU alumnus Dusty May is doing a hell of a job at FAU. The Owls are a traditional doormat, but he has them at 11-1 with a win over Florida, and the only loss was at Ole Miss. 

Didn't realize that, pretty cool. He's in his 5th year and has never had a losing record there. On his way to a 3rd consecutive season with a winning record in conference as well

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

I know Stuhoo already covered this, but you can't ignore the fact that IU has 2 quad 1 wins and UK has none. UK shouldn't be ranked, taking Mizzou on the ML last night was easy money.

I'm not. But you also can't ignore we've been dominated in our 3 losses. Indiana and Kentucky have the same problems. Low energy teams with terrible offensive schemes. Are we better? Maybe? Hard to say with X being out now. I guess we are going to find out. 

Both teams have stud big men in TJD and Oscar. 

Both have very good freshman guards in JHS and Wallace(though Wallace is better at this point in time)

Both have veteran forwards who haven't lived up to the expectations this season in Race and Toppin(Though Toppin is losing minutes fast)

Both offenses are built on pick and roll and little ball/people movement

Indiana obviously has a massive game coming up. Kentucky has a freebie. But we are going to have wait to see how good Indiana can be without X. We may very well be on Kentucky's level now. 

29 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm not. But you also can't ignore we've been dominated in our 3 losses. Indiana and Kentucky have the same problems. Low energy teams with terrible offensive schemes. Are we better? Maybe? Hard to say with X being out now. I guess we are going to find out. 

Both teams have stud big men in TJD and Oscar. 

Both have very good freshman guards in JHS and Wallace(though Wallace is better at this point in time)

Both have veteran forwards who haven't lived up to the expectations this season in Race and Toppin(Though Toppin is losing minutes fast)

Both offenses are built on pick and roll and little ball/people movement

Indiana obviously has a massive game coming up. Kentucky has a freebie. But we are going to have wait to see how good Indiana can be without X. We may very well be on Kentucky's level now. 

• Both teams have arenas that seat over 15,000.
  • Both teams have had some very bad moments this year.
  • Both teams have great size that doesn't always play with force.
  • Both teams have high hopes and have had to diminish expectations.
  • Both teams have had to deal with key injuries.
  • Both teams both teams have athletic forwards that don't show their athleticism. 

Oh, by the way, I'm comparing the Los Angeles Lakers and the Florida Panthers. In other words, your list is a red herring salad.

UK is currently a train wreck with no accomplishments - one win against a Power 5 Conference team, and as USPS said, that was against 7-4 Michigan who lost their 30mpg point guard in the first half.

Say Kentucky was 9-2,  only had losses to top 75 teams, but had beaten Michigan State, and also had easy wins against Power 5 mid 100's KenPom teams DePaul and Georgetown. They'd be Northwestern! lol

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:
  • Both teams have arenas that seat over 15,000.
  • Both teams have had some very bad moments this year.
  • Both teams have great size that doesn't always play with force.
  • Both teams have high hopes and have had to diminish expectations.
  • Both teams have had to deal with key injuries.
  • Both teams both teams have athletic forwards that don't show their athleticism. 

Oh, by the way, I'm comparing the Los Angeles Lakers and the Florida Panthers. In other words, your list is a red herring salad.

UK is currently a train wreck with no accomplishments - one win against a Power 5 Conference team, and as USPS said, that was against 7-4 Michigan who lost their 30mpg point guard in the first half.

Say Kentucky was 9-2,  only had losses to top 75 teams, but had beaten Michigan State, and also had easy wins against Power 5 mid 100's KenPom teams DePaul and Georgetown. They'd be Northwestern! lol

They are a trainwreck. Didn't say they weren't. But to think we are just so far ahead of them is just oblivious to reality. Some extra crimson colored glasses. 

51 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I’ve never been more torn on something as a B1G/Bears fan. 

I'll never forget his decision to cancel the season then reverse course based on flawed science. 

It would be such a Bears move to hire such an incompetent leader. Dude is worthless.