Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think as a teammate... it'd be pretty hard to see someone make 400K or whatever and you are getting nothing. 

I worked for 20 some years for several companies where my boss made a boat load more than me. He was the leader of the team. He had earned his place. 

If you don't like it as a team member, then you either need to work harder, and smarter, or go find a job where you're the leader.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I worked for 20 some years for several companies where my boss made a boat load more than me. He was the leader of the team. He had earned his place. 

If you don't like it as a team member, then you either need to work harder, and smarter, or go find a job where you're the leader.

I didn't think these were jobs? I thought they were just mistreated student-athletes? 

I am all for making these jobs. Contract the players, pay them a salary, and let's regulate. They better start performing though.. or they should be fired. 

I don't see what your example means in regard to this topic at all. QB gets paid 400K for example, do you think that Center or Left guard that protect him are getting paid that?But sure, they should just suck it up and accept that?... I thought that is what these players couldn't handle in the first place. Confusing times. 

I didn't think these were jobs? I thought they were just mistreated student-athletes? 
I am all for making these jobs. Contract the players, pay them a salary, and let's regulate. They better start performing though.. or they should be fired. 
I don't see what your example means in regard to this topic at all. QB gets paid 400K for example, do you think that Center or Left guard that protect him are getting paid that?But sure, they should just suck it up and accept that?... I thought that is what these players couldn't handle in the first place. Confusing times. 
I thought this was all suppose to be so that players would be compensated for their NIL which I agreed with. That doesn't really seem to be a component at all and instead it's just used as a way to legally do what they were doing illegally before and contract mercenaries. Idk I knew this was all going to get stupid and it didn't take long at all for that to be true. There has to be some way to regulate all of this but if it's up to the NCAA then there's no point in even trying. I want athletes to have options and to be compensated for their NIL but I hate what college athletics has become. Be interesting what takes place with all of this in the future.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I thought this was all suppose to be so that players would be compensated for their NIL which I agreed with. That doesn't really seem to be a component at all and instead it's just used as a way to legally do what they were doing illegally before and contract mercenaries. Idk I knew this was all going to get stupid and it didn't take long at all for that to be true. There has to be some way to regulate all of this but if it's up to the NCAA then there's no point in even trying. I want athletes to have options and to be compensated for their NIL but I hate what college athletics has become. Be interesting what takes place with all of this in the future.

I can't agree with the idea that they weren't compensated before, but I don't disagree with anything you're saying. 

4 hours ago, DWB said:

THEY ARE.  That is why the transfer portal is so full.  How’s that working out for stability?

Or maybe if a team wishes to keep players — or company wish to retain staff — they find a way to compensate proportionate to role.

Sad. Hope he finds happiness. An example of sometimes it's best to stay and get that free education in case things don't go as planned. Hope he finds his happiness. Does Stanford honor scholarships if players leave early?

That’s an extraordinarily well-written letter by an extraordinarily self-aware young man. Seems like he’s now well on his way to finding success and happiness.
Stanford kids? Hire ‘em
Unless you're looking for a 14 year career at QB. Not that I blamed Luck at all but as a Colts fan that was a real kick to jingle bells. They're still jingling.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

THEY ARE.  That is why the transfer portal is so full.  How’s that working out for stability?

Or maybe if a team wishes to keep players — or company wish to retain staff — they find a way to compensate proportionate to role.

It's not proportionate to the role, it's often proportionate to what the kid, his family and hangers-on think he's worth. Oftentimes there is a wide gulf.