Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I don't know the ins and outs of the whole legal process, but after watching this, he has a $10K bond, court dates, a protective order, and there was no mention of charges being dropped.

Just for the hell of it, I went to the UT website. It just had a preview of tonight's game against Rice, with links providing answers to questions like: 

When will doors/gates open? 
Where is parking? 
Where is will call located? 
Where should students enter? 

It lacked the most relevant query ... 
Who will be coaching the team? 

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

First, let's just get this part out of the way, my rate is $450/hour. I'll send you the bill, hey, maybe I'll even accept a Zelle transfer. :)

Second, and unrelated to the first point, I'm a financial institutions litigator (civil), not a criminal attorney. (I'll bill you anyway.)

Third, directly related to the first point, I'm now billing my time to participate on a basketball board. $$$$

With those most important points covered, on to the substance.

Assault charges are set out in Chap. 22 of the Texas Penal Code (again, I don't practice criminal law, but remember, I'm billing you anyway).

In our fabulous State of Texas, an assault charge under Sec. 22.01(a)(1) -- which includes intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse -- is a misdemeanor (Class A). Except under certain enumerated circumstances it is upgraded to a felony of the third degree (the stated charge here). One of those circumstances is where the the offense is committed against a person whose relationship is described in certain Family Code sections, and the offense is committed intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly 'impeding the normal breathing or circulation of the blood of the person by applying pressure to the person's throat or neck or by blocking the person's nose or mouth." Haven't been reading the follow up reports etc. but that seems to be the charge here from the initial limited news flash I read above. 

"Punishments" of such offenses are separately delineated in the Title 3 of the Penal Code, and at Sec. 12.34 for third degree felonies. That statute provides that an individual adjudged guilty of a third degree felony "shall be punished by imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years." (And there's also a permissive fine not to exceed $10,000 -- which will be less than my first invoice to you).

I take it you pulled that up to see the 2-10 years you mention, but I wanted to go through all of this detail to ensure my bill is high enough.

On whether the Texas criminal court judge could deviate from the statute, if the case were to go forward and to trial, I don't know (you still have to pay my bill), but my general understanding here is that the statutory language "shall be punished" is mandatory, and thus cannot be deviated from. I'm now going to ruminate on that, and charge you some more.

Pretty much my experience with attorneys. Especially the bill you for "ruminating" part.

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

I don't know the ins and outs of the whole legal process, but after watching this, he has a $10K bond, court dates, a protective order, and there was no mention of charges being dropped.

$10K bond means he can post (and probably already has) 10 percent ($1,000) to be released subject to bond terms. The initial court dates are all subject to re-setting, dismissal, etc. A protective order is standard in this kind of case. There won't be any mention of charges getting dropped, that will be for consideration by the assigned prosecutor.

Bill will be in the mail

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

Might be tough without victim's testimony?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Most Law Enforcement Agencies take photos of the scene and all person's involved to avoid just the situation described above.

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The fact that he was placed under official arrest is interesting to me.   Hard not to believe the police didn't know who he was and possibly try to mediate the situation on the spot.  Was the evidence of abuse that compelling?

Hey now, this is Texas. He's not the football coach.

So apparently Texas still has not determined whether Beard will be on the sidelines tonight??? I mean the only path here is to at least put him on leave until you've gathered info right?

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So apparently Texas still has not determined whether Beard will be on the sidelines tonight??? I mean the only path here is to at least put him on leave until you've gathered info right?

Yeah kind of sad that this news broke early this morning and 8 hours later, Texas still hasn't announced that Beard is not coaching tonight. I think that shows which was this is going to go. 

Yeah kind of sad that this news broke early this morning and 8 hours later, Texas still hasn't announced that Beard is not coaching tonight. I think that shows which was this is going to go. 
This is just epically bad from a PR standpoint for UT if they let him coach tonight. How pivotal of a game is Home against Rice that you can't just say "hey coach you're sitting this one out"? Regardless of your long game play here.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yep. I predict the charges will be dropped or at most end up as a misdemeanor. UT will probably wait for it to go through the courts before doing anything. He'll keep his job but they'll wait for it to go through the courts which will probably be after the season. If it ends up a misdemeanor, they'll suspend him for an exhibition game next season.

That's my guess at how this will end up. That's a shame if he did do what he's accused of (which I'm guessing he probably did). Society is starting to take domestic violence more seriously but still not serious enough.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

Yep. I predict the charges will be dropped or at least end up as a misdemeanor. UT will probably wait for it to go through the courts before doing anything. He'll keep his job but they'll wait for it to go through the courts which will probably be after the season. If it ends up a misdemeanor, they'll suspend him for an exhibition game next season.

That's my guess at how this will end up.

But I do agree with RCS above just say Coach you spent 12 hours locked up today, just go home and we'll let someone else coach tonight and go from there.

Just now, Chris007 said:

But I do agree with RCS above just say Coach you spent 12 hours locked up today, just go home and we'll let someone else coach tonight and go from there.

Definitely, that is what should happen. I don't think it will.