Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

10 years ago I'd say he would be back on the court this year. Today? Unlikely. Will have to see how things play out, obviously, but I doubt UT wants thus kind of bad PR. Will be interesting. If he were at IU he would've been fired at 2:10 a.m.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

10 years ago I'd say he would be back on the court this year. Today? Unlikely. Will have to see how things play out, obviously, but I doubt UT wants thus kind of bad PR. Will be interesting. If he were at IU he would've been fired at 2:10 a.m.

I have a weird feeling that Texas does not care lol. They'll suspend for 5 games, spend 35 million on some PR and move on. 

1 minute ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I seem to recall a few folks saying they heard "things" about Beard during our last coaching search which led them to believe he would not be considered an option for IU. But no one would give specifics. Most people just assumed he was a lock for Texas and that was that but now I am wondering if this was the sort of "thing" they were talking about. I don't know... I just find it interesting.

I always thought it was a little weird that it appeared IU had no interest in Beard as coach because he seemed to be a good fit on several fronts. However, with this news, I am very glad we went with Woody. If the IU search committee uncovered a few potential "red flags" that caused us to go in another direction then good on them. IU certainly doesn't need someone like that as the head basketball coach.

Yep.  I heard rumors that Beard had some legal issues in Lubbock.  Never heard what they were.

19 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Wow. What else can anyone say to this? 

On those allegations and the felony assault charge, would have to think he's done (and should be) unless somehow the charges are false/disproved, and that, at this point, seems at best unlikely.

12 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

IMO it'll be a small miracle if he's not fired, if for no other reason than it being located in Austin.

Might this help us with Liam McNeely?

13 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I seem to recall a few folks saying they heard "things" about Beard during our last coaching search which led them to believe he would not be considered an option for IU. But no one would give specifics. Most people just assumed he was a lock for Texas and that was that but now I am wondering if this was the sort of "thing" they were talking about. I don't know... I just find it interesting.

I always thought it was a little weird that it appeared IU had no interest in Beard as coach because he seemed to be a good fit on several fronts. However, with this news, I am very glad we went with Woody. If the IU search committee uncovered a few potential "red flags" that caused us to go in another direction then good on them. IU certainly doesn't need someone like that as the head basketball coach.

Your takes are always gold - this one included.

7 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Wow. What else can anyone say to this? 

On those allegations and the felony assault charge, would have to think he's done (and should be) unless somehow the charges are false/disproved, and that, at this point, seems at best unlikely.

Would assume there will be an announcement today of an unpaid administrative leave pending investigation and that Rodney Terry will take over. Then they’ll drop the hammer after enough time has passed that they can claim due diligence.

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I have a weird feeling that Texas does not care lol. They'll suspend for 5 games, spend 35 million on some PR and move on. 

3rd degree felony.

If true, he's 100% gone.

27 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Didn't we allow Knight to keep coaching? 

Strangling? That's bad. It's hard to coach from a jail cell.

1. From the initial read this is very different than the worst of any story about Bob Knight.
  2. This is about as bad as it gets for university PR, and for recruiting when parents inquire about team culture.
  3. Finally, some speculation: it is rare that someone becomes a domestic abuser for the first time at age 49. And, he's hyper-wealthy. Expect more incidents and corresponding lawsuits to come out in the next few weeks.

Dior Johnson, Pitt freshman who has been suspended all season, just got his felony DA charges dropped down to a misdemeanor. 1 year of probation. His charges were also related to strangulation. Not sure if that can be used as a comparison, but if Beard has his charges plead down to misdemeanor I wonder if they do drop the hammer. 

I guess it will depend on how the jurisdiction handles DA charges.

Edited by IGotMeAWoody
changed from commit to freshman

HoosierHoopster is the guy I'm listening to on this one. 

Looks like in Texas a third degree felony carries from 2-10 years, but it could be pled down. Without a plea down to a misdemeanor? Some states have mandatory minimums, and some allow the sentencing judge to deviate.

Hey HH - in Texas is that a min/mand or can the judge sentence down on a felony?