Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I guess I don’t care that much. A quad 4 win is a quad 4 win. I don’t care that much about sos.  Whatever Woodson thinks is going to develop the young guys best is my guess. 

Once again it’s probably not what I would do. But it’s a sound strategy. I think back to the Little Rock game. Say that was a decent team. 150 or so range. Without TJD we weren’t going to be able to let the guys make mistakes without running the risk of a loss 

There are ways to game the system while getting run for the younger players. I just don't see the need to have that many 300+ opponents. There is never a doubt about the outcome only the margin. I'd guess the win expectancy would be in the 90% range against the 200ish teams too.

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Agree with this. I really want to play Virginia. Off top of my head we have play what 4 different teams In the last 10 years in the challenge. I might be wrong on that but feels like that 

Without looking it up, I have Duke several times, UNC several times, a couple trips to Syracuse, a Pitt game and an FSU game. We played ND every other year and had a short series with Uof6 in the 2014-17 range so they were usually out of the running.

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Also the financial part of scheduling that makes team’s schedule so many of those +300 teams.   It’s cheaper.  To get better mid majors you have to pay more and in the past IU wasn’t willing to do so.   Not sure the stance know but it was reported that Miller was stunned by it in the beginning of his tenure 

Our administration would never hamper our ability to schedule noncon opponents... I'm sure they could find some "specialty groups" willing to pay if they got something in return.

4 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

4 (I’m assuming, at this point) overtimes before flying cross-country then coming to Bloomington Wednesday? That’s a shame. 

Breaks my heart. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

There are ways to game the system while getting run for the younger players. I just don't see the need to have that many 300+ opponents. There is never a doubt about the outcome only the margin. I'd guess the win expectancy would be in the 90% range against the 200ish teams too.

Teams can game the system by scheduling these +300 teams as well.   As long as you are smashing them and keeping your efficiency numbers up your NET will continue to grow but it starts to backfire when your efficiency numbers are bad and you barely win or worst case lose to one of them.    Not saying it’s right but teams will find ways for the best numbers with least resistance.   If you want to play better teams I would at least make them 135 net or better.  At least that way you are making those games Q2 home games 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Teams can game the system by scheduling these +300 teams as well.   As long as you are smashing them and keeping your efficiency numbers up your NET will continue to grow but it starts to backfire when your efficiency numbers are bad and you barely win or worst case lose to one of them.    Not saying it’s right but teams will find ways for the best numbers with least resistance.   If you want to play better teams I would at least make them 135 net or better.  At least that way you are making those games Q2 home games 

Neutral court game or away game. Not this season, playing at Xavier and at Kansas this season is great. Using KP numbers since we don't have NET numbers yet.

Neutral vs #10

Away vs #18

Home vs #21

Away vs #31

I like that schedule but the cupcakes we chose are extremely cupcake-y.

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

i messed the numbers up.   Those would only be Q3 home games.  Would need to be 75 or less to be a Q2 home game 

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Neutral court game or away game. Not this season, playing at Xavier and at Kansas this season is great. Using KP numbers since we don't have NET numbers yet.

Neutral vs #10

Away vs #18

Home vs #21

Away vs #31

I like that schedule but the cupcakes we chose are extremely cupcake-y.

Add that to at least 18 conference games of teams in the top 55 with most being top 25 sprinkling cup cakes in isn’t necessarily a bad thing in my opinion.    Better smash them if you play them 

50 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

All this talk about non-con scheduling made me think of our batsh*t crazy (by today's standards, anyway) schedule in 2001-02:

at Charlotte

at Alaska-Anchorage (Great Alaska Shootout)

Marquette, in Alaska

Texas, in Alaska

at North Carolina

at Southern Illinois

vs. Notre Dame (first home game, December 4th)

vs. Ball State (ranked #15)

Miami, in Miami, but a neutral site

Kentucky (RCA Dome)

Eastern Washington (Indianapolis, Hoosier Classic)

Butler (Indy, Hoosier Classic)

No Power 5 team will ever play a schedule like this again. Kenpom ranked it #2 in the nation by the end of the season. 

We had a crazy one in 04-05 as well. Our non-con looked like...

Indiana State

Western Illinois

#9 North Carolina(won the title that year with May, Felton, McCants, Williams, Noel.)

AT #7 UConn(had Marcus Williams, Boone, Villanueva, Denham Brown, Rashad Anderson and Rudy ***)

Notre Dame

#10 Kentucky at Freedom Hall

AT Missouri

Charlotte(Went 21-8 and was a 7 seed that year)

Ball State at Conseco Fieldhouse

Oral Roberts(who ended up being 25-8)

Furman

Yea we went 5-6 through... Including losing 6 in a row from UNC through Charlotte. Players that started throughout that stretch?

Bracey Wright

Marshall Strickland

Pat Ewing

Robert Vaden

Sean Kline

Mike Roberts

DJ White

James Hardy

16 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Blackmon is on fire.   Just hit another 3 to put Stetson up 3 with 1:33 to go.    He has 21 

Brown was out with flu hope he didn’t give it to anyone else ….Blackmon was on a hot streak for sure but I don’t like that he took 19 shots and made less than half when Swenson and smith were 80% and 100% respectively …:I was also really surprised with as small a lineup as they ran that blackmon had zero assists and zero rebounds I think he’s letting his shooting slump effect his play …..he took a contested 3 on second to last possession when only down one and then Stetson took another wild 3 on last possession down 2 ….they are young and will get better jones seems to be a good teacher 

Seth Davis showing the Toiletmakers some serious love -- he took them all the way to No. 1 in his weekly rankings. 

I'm fine with them jumping ahead of us. They handled Duke and Gonzaga while we beat Little Rock and Jackson State. 

But from 24 (their actual ranking; not sure where he had them last week) to No. 1? I cannot imagine a bigger leap. 

Oh well. We still have UNC, Arizona and Kansas coming up -- so there will be plenty of chances to prove how good (or not good) we are ... 

And it is a weekly poll. Nobody was better than the PUs last week. 

26 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seth Davis showing the Toiletmakers some serious love -- he took them all the way to No. 1 in his weekly rankings. 

I'm fine with them jumping ahead of us. They handled Duke and Gonzaga while we beat Little Rock and Jackson State. 

But from 24 (their actual ranking; not sure where he had them last week) to No. 1? I cannot imagine a bigger leap. 

Oh well. We still have UNC, Arizona and Kansas coming up -- so there will be plenty of chances to prove how good (or not good) we are ... 

And it is a weekly poll. Nobody was better than the PUs last week. 

Agreed on all points

10 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Woodson would not be able to give them as long of a leash without risking a loss.  These cupcakes reduce the risk of a loss while giving the guys the maximum leash possible to grow. 

This schedule was done it would seem to let the team do the maximum amount of growing because come big ten time the rotation is going to be reduced. 

Once again I’m not sure I would have done it.  But it’s a sound strategy. Hopefully it works out 

We simply disagree about the strategy to achieve “maximum amount of growing.”   

Btw, I don’t think Woody designed this schedule, so I’m not confident he agrees with you, either. He’s taken steps to improve the schedule, imo. Two big away games and a big neutral site game are great additions. We’ll see where it stands next year. 

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

All top teams at buy games and by the end of the non conference schedule we will play as tough of one as anyone. People get caught up with feast week and see teams playing other top teams but that is just one week

All top teams do not play the number of 300-ish teams we do. We’ve been bad about it for some time.  

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m ok with this. Gives Woodson the flexibility to schedule a marquee game 

Won’t be surprised to see it replaced. They’re already saying the ACC will now be doing an SEC challenge. 

Edit: which is in the tweet lol nevermind