Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

What a play call by Portland. 

“WE GOT FU**ED” from their coach had me rolling. 

Not sure I agreed with him specifically, but a hell of a play call and execution. Respect to Portland. Balled hard all weekend.

I did feel his pain though. Lol

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Exactly. I could not care less about gaming the NET. I’m more worried about getting the team ready and those 250-300+ games are pretty worthless besides making the AD money.   

Every one of those games saw our guys out athlete those squads eventually, but that strategy was not helpful versus Xavier when we had to shorten the bench and play TJD most of the game. That’ll be more typical of B1G play than games where we get Banks and Gunn a bunch of minutes. I think we learned more about the team in the one Xavier game than all the other games combined. 

We play UNC and then start conf play. So only two real games to prepare for conf play. It’s not an optimal setup for performance. 

There’s good and bad to it. I’d much rather have a few more games against solid competition over the 300+ teams. I believe that would help more than hurt. Some coaches and programs don’t want those possible Ls on their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

But I think it’s very valuable that all of our freshmen and Bates have had the ability to play thru mistakes and learn  hopefully that pays off 

Our top freshman and Bates would play through those mistakes against better teams and be better off for it. They’re going to play through mistakes against B1G opponents.  Trading that experience for our young rotation guys for garbage minutes for Gunn and Banks (both of whom I like) seems like a sub-optimal trade-off to me.  

17 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Our top freshman and Bates would play through those mistakes against better teams and be better off for it. They’re going to play through mistakes against B1G opponents.  Trading that experience for our young rotation guys for garbage minutes for Gunn and Banks (both of whom I like) seems like a sub-optimal trade-off to me.  

All top teams at buy games and by the end of the non conference schedule we will play as tough of one as anyone. People get caught up with feast week and see teams playing other top teams but that is just one week

24 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Woodson would not be able to give them as long of a leash without risking a loss.  These cupcakes reduce the risk of a loss while giving the guys the maximum leash possible to grow. 

This schedule was done it would seem to let the team do the maximum amount of growing because come big ten time the rotation is going to be reduced. 

Once again I’m not sure I would have done it.  But it’s a sound strategy. Hopefully it works out 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All top teams at buy games and by the end of the non conference schedule we will play as tough of one as anyone. People get caught up with feast week and see teams playing other top teams but that is just one week

Plus, we're one of the only teams with a quality, true road win.

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Woodson would not be able to give them as long of a leash without risking a loss.  These cupcakes reduce the risk of a loss while giving the guys the maximum leash possible to grow. 

This schedule was done it would seem to let the team do the maximum amount of growing because come big ten time the rotation is going to be reduced. 

Once again I’m not sure I would have done it.  But it’s a sound strategy. Hopefully it works out 

I'm not suggesting we go crazy and play all power 6 opponents but 5 of our 6 opponents are 258+. Keeping those teams 250ish teams while swapping those 300+ teams for 200ish teams wouldn't change much except increase our noncon SOS. It's a debate every season, there is plenty of room for improvement there.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I'm not suggesting we go crazy and play all power 6 opponents but 5 of our 6 opponents are 258+. Keeping those teams 250ish teams while swapping those 300+ teams for 200ish teams wouldn't change much except increase our noncon SOS. It's a debate every season, there is plenty of room for improvement there.

We'll make up for that, in the coming weeks.

Edited by J34

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Things are pretty hampered by the forced schedules we get. 20 conference games, ACC/B1G challenge and the Gravity Games. I am 1000% in favor of the Gavitt and ACC/B1G going away completely. Gavitt Games just suck and really don't give any great matchups that anyone cares about. ACC/B1G challenge has become boring and repetitive. Would rather just have the flexibility to schedule as we please.

4 minutes ago, J34 said:

Plus, we're one of the only teams with a quality, true road win.

Not taking away from that Q1 road road win, it's good. That combined with the other games has us in the 350 range of noncon SOS so far. It will improve greatly with UNC, KU, and Arizona. We could do better with the rest of it though.

Just now, J34 said:

We'll make up for that, in the coming weeks.

Just from glancing over it my guess would be there is only 4 more games in the Q4 and Q3 range.   The rest will be Q1 and Q2.   With how well the B1G is doing if they do well in the challenge next week IU could be looking at 14 Q1 games in conference, 4 Q2 and 2 Q3.    IU only plays Minny and Nebraska once.   Less landmine opportunities to have a bad loss.  This is just my opinion and early estimation.  This will clearly change but every B1G team will deal with that type of schedule 

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I guess I don’t care that much. A quad 4 win is a quad 4 win. I don’t care that much about sos.  Whatever Woodson thinks is going to develop the young guys best is my guess. 

Once again it’s probably not what I would do. But it’s a sound strategy. I think back to the Little Rock game. Say that was a decent team. 150 or so range. Without TJD we weren’t going to be able to let the guys make mistakes without running the risk of a loss 

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Things are pretty hampered by the forced schedules we get. 20 conference games, ACC/B1G challenge and the Gravity Games. I am 1000% in favor of the Gavitt and ACC/B1G going away completely. Gavitt Games just suck and really don't give any great matchups that anyone cares about. ACC/B1G challenge has become boring and repetitive. Would rather just have the flexibility to schedule as we please.

Agree with this. I really want to play Virginia. Off top of my head we have play what 4 different teams In the last 10 years in the challenge. I might be wrong on that but feels like that 

All this talk about non-con scheduling made me think of our batsh*t crazy (by today's standards, anyway) schedule in 2001-02:

at Charlotte

at Alaska-Anchorage (Great Alaska Shootout)

Marquette, in Alaska

Texas, in Alaska

at North Carolina

at Southern Illinois

vs. Notre Dame (first home game, December 4th)

vs. Ball State (ranked #15)

Miami, in Miami, but a neutral site

Kentucky (RCA Dome)

Eastern Washington (Indianapolis, Hoosier Classic)

Butler (Indy, Hoosier Classic)

No Power 5 team will ever play a schedule like this again. Kenpom ranked it #2 in the nation by the end of the season. 

Also the financial part of scheduling that makes team’s schedule so many of those +300 teams.   It’s cheaper.  To get better mid majors you have to pay more and in the past IU wasn’t willing to do so.   Not sure the stance know but it was reported that Miller was stunned by it in the beginning of his tenure