Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

25 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So I decided to check in on Rhode Island's board. Third post I read is this. Kind of want to let them know.....562ed9ce678a7d4fda181e128d6d8826.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Are people ganging up on him calling him simply negative?

By far game of the year so far.  Won’t by too many games moving forward this good.    What a game.   Maui always delivers and college basketball delivers night in and night out.   Creighton with a heck of a win.   Arkansas is a problem and they are going to be a bigger problem when Smith Jr starts playing.   

Right now the 4 teams that have stood out over two weeks are: Arkansas, Creighton, Houston, and Texas. I'd put IU in that 2nd category with teams like Gonzaga, Michigan State, Virginia, etc.. Arkansas is going to be a problem when Smith plays for them. I think Houston and Creighton have two of the best starting lineups in all over college basketball. Really like Texas' backcourt of Hunter and Carr. 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

By far game of the year so far.  Won’t by too many games moving forward this good.    What a game.   Maui always delivers and college basketball delivers night in and night out.   Creighton with a heck of a win.   Arkansas is a problem and they are going to be a bigger problem when Smith Jr starts playing.   

Yes. Yes it does. I'm all football still but it's hard not to watch College Basketball in November. Factor in great basketball and IU having a good team. Sorry Dickie V..college hoops is just fine starting in November. 

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

@Uspshoosier looking for a good Tuesday night game to watch.  Don't work tomorrow and time isn't a factor.  Have DirectV.  Any thoughts?  Currently watching the end of Liberty/Northwestern.

Arizona-San Diego State about to start on ESPN. Curious to see how Arizona looks. 

53 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

@Uspshoosier looking for a good Tuesday night game to watch.  Don't work tomorrow and time isn't a factor.  Have DirectV.  Any thoughts?  Currently watching the end of Liberty/Northwestern.

San Diego st/Zona is about all there is late tonight.  Cuse/st John’s is in the second half.     You got basketball all day tomorrow as well.  Kansas/Nc State plays at noon 

I ran a spreadsheet last year that measured how a team's number of wins compared to the number of wins that the 50th best team would expect to get based on their schedule.  It was meant to determine what teams deserved to be in the NCAA tournament.  While it was far off on where teams ended up actually were seeded, if a team ended up as a +1 (one more win than would be expected from the 50th best team based on a team's schedule), it was pretty much a lock that team made the tournament (as an FYI, the expectations are based on Ken Pom's ratings of their opponents).

I ran IU's schedule -- based on their 31 game regular season, a team that was 50th best should:

go approximately 13-5 in IU's home games (12.8 wins, 5.2 losses)

go approximately 4-8 on the road (3.9 wins, 8.1 losses)

lose their neutral court game to Arizona (0.3 wins, 0.7 losses)

Overall record for the 50th best team having IU's schedule:  17-14 (17.0-14.0).  So to be assured of an NCAA at large berth and be a +1 team, IU would need to be 18-13.

Comparison to last year:  the 50th best team having IU's shedule would have been projected to need to go 18.6-11.4 in the regular season (they actually were 18-12).  19-11 would have had them at +0.4, so to get to the magic +1 they would have needed to be 20-10.  I had them at a -0.6 entering the BTT;  after the BTT I had them as a +0.4 which projected as a might be in tournament team but not a lock.

Long winded here, but basic point I'm trying to make is that the tougher schedule basically is a full two games difference from last year.  IF IU were to play to the projections that KenPom and Torvik had, they be at about a +6 after the regular season (with a 23-8 record).  This would project out to about the 10th best total and a 2/3 seed.

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

OT

St. John’s is going to win it.   St. John’s is always a trip to watch.    They took the lead by 7 with 30 sec to go and they get a steal and the dude instead of dribbling it out or getting fouled just jacks a 3 up lol.  Anderson lost it