Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I won’t bet my house on it yet …you’re right …part of why I watched last night was he captivated me in hs play and I wanted to see how that translates to a floor full of athletes …he will take some lumps but I think he will surprise a lot of people …painter starting him was something I certainly didn’t immediately expect 

Painter has absolutely no choice but to start him.

His other opinions are Morton, who is not a ball handler in any way, or Jenkins, who is not a ball handler and has been erratic and not very good at bad programs.

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

His other opinions are Morton, who is not a ball handler in any way, or Jenkins, who is not a ball handler and has been erratic and not very good at bad programs.

Gotta love Painter's opinions!

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They are an interesting team. Loyer and Smith both very confident players. Lacking in size but not a lot else. Great ball movement per usual. They shouldn’t be a threat but this is a Painter team I’m curious to see how it works out. Smith, Morton, Loyer starting when you have Kaufman and Furst is interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

A team that could be a TEAM in two years 

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

...when you have Kaufman and Furst is interesting.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I understand why Kaufman didn't want to play for Archie, but the Purdue call was/is baffling to me.  The last Purdue forward (or big for that matter) to see any level of success in the NBA was Carl Landry...drafted 15 years ago.  Purdue makes sense for giants and others like Furst who lack the athleticism and range to make it to the league, because Painter plays to their strengths.  I wish Kaufman luck, but first redshirting and then not starting in year two?  Ouch!

55 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I agree that he didn't look bad last night but let's see him play against a little better competition. I think he's going to get abused on defense in the Big Ten.

He might but he definitely puts in the energy and effort. At least that's what he showed last night. He always seemed to be running and making the smart pay, which I think was expected of him anyways. He's definitely put on some weight and muscle though. He may struggle just because of the grind and B1G Rugby, but he'll be good for them. He fits what Painter wants. 

19 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

He might but he definitely puts in the energy and effort. At least that's what he showed last night. He always seemed to be running and making the smart pay, which I think was expected of him anyways. He's definitely put on some weight and muscle though. He may struggle just because of the grind and B1G Rugby, but he'll be good for them. He fits what Painter wants. 

He won’t struggle because of B1G rugby; that’s his strength.

He may struggle because of B1G length and quickness.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I may be confusing him with someone else, but didn't Miller try to recruit Morton as a PG? It's hilarious (and typical Miller) if he can't handle the ball.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Ben Allen must have been at a Purdue practice because Jenkins is out with a facial injury caused at practice. 

44 minutes ago, triple said:

I understand why Kaufman didn't want to play for Archie, but the Purdue call was/is baffling to me.  The last Purdue forward (or big for that matter) to see any level of success in the NBA was Carl Landry...drafted 15 years ago.  Purdue makes sense for giants and others like Furst who lack the athleticism and range to make it to the league, because Painter plays to their strengths.  I wish Kaufman luck, but first redshirting and then not starting in year two?  Ouch!

I admit I was pretty disappointed when Kaufman chose PU over IU. It's starting to look like he might not be as good as advertised and not as big of a miss as I thought. Instead of having an immediate impact he red shirted last year. This year he's coming off the bench and was only 8th in minutes played in their first game. He still has a lot of time to improve, but that certainly takes away the sting of missing on him.

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of all the oohing and aahing every time Purdue looks halfway decent or somebody has a big game? Tell me they've owned us in the last 6 years without telling me they've owned us in the last 6 years. 

I've decided not to be a jerk and bump the posts from last November when people were afraid they would go undefeated. 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of all the oohing and aahing every time Purdue looks halfway decent or somebody has a big game? Tell me they've owned us in the last 6 years without telling me they've owned us in the last 6 years. 

I've decided not to be a jerk and bump the posts from last November when people were afraid they would go undefeated. 

Maybe PU should be afraid of IU this year? 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

He won’t struggle because of B1G rugby; that’s his strength.

He may struggle because of B1G length and quickness.

There is the million dollar question …can he adjust and overcome that consistently and can he maintain a 40% three point accuracy over a prolonged period …if so he will be great if not he’ll just be another guy 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

I admit I was pretty disappointed when Kaufman chose PU over IU. It's starting to look like he might not be as good as advertised and not as big of a miss as I thought. Instead of having an immediate impact he red shirted last year. This year he's coming off the bench and was only 8th in minutes played in their first game. He still has a lot of time to improve, but that certainly takes away the sting of missing on him.

When watching him in high school I always thought he downshifted a gear when playing people his size ( which was rare ) or physical opponents …I wasn’t sure he has the outside game necessary to not have to do heavy dirty work ….I agree lots of time to fix it but I always viewed him as a solid contributor at big ten level not a future all American or anything 

1 hour ago, triple said:

I thought it was a strange destination for him as well but likely a product of the times.   He committed to PU in late October 2020 when there was no in-person recruiting and hadn't been for quite a while, and I think if he could have taken an actual OV to Virginia he would have wound up there.  Seemed like because of the circumstances in-state schools were almost the only viable options.  And, as you mentioned, I can see why he didn't want to commit to Archie and probably get stuck playing the 5 in the big ten.