Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

At the risk of repeating myself, three things:

1. Replacing Parker Stewart with Jalen Hood Schifino,
  2. Replacing Michael Durr with Malik Reneau, and most importantly
  3. Year two of a majority of the team fully experienced in the system.

That makes us a realistic national contender IMO.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say we can be a national contender, but I think we should and will contend for top of the B1G, and depending on the draw, health etc. that we should have a good showing in the NCAA tourney. 

I can't tell yet what our outside shooting is going to look like -- how much Woodson/staff will use it. With this team, we have scoring and playmaking we didn't have or we're just starting to grow last season, I don't see 3-point shooting as holding us back from contending in the B1G, but I am in a wait and see mode on how Woodson / staff utilize the arc  -- and really how often -- guys like Kopp and Bates are shooting deep. Kopp is a set shooter, he's not going to be creating his own shots, but he should have lots of open shot looks, here's to hoping he's taking them, unlike last year, and that Bates -- and JG -- are taking and making more -- if that comes together, sky's the limit, imo.

8 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I'm not sure I'm ready to say we can be a national contender, but I think we should and will contend for top of the B1G, and depending on the draw, health etc. that we should have a good showing in the NCAA tourney. 

I can't tell yet what our outside shooting is going to look like -- how much Woodson/staff will use it. With this team, we have scoring and playmaking we didn't have or we're just starting to grow last season, I don't see 3-point shooting as holding us back from contending in the B1G, but I am in a wait and see mode on how Woodson / staff utilize the arc  -- and really how often -- guys like Kopp and Bates are shooting deep. Kopp is a set shooter, he's not going to be creating his own shots, but he should have lots of open shot looks, here's to hoping he's taking them, unlike last year, and that Bates -- and JG -- are taking and making more -- if that comes together, sky's the limit, imo.

What do you think would be an acceptable result for the four marquee non-conference games?

56 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

What do you think would be an acceptable result for the four marquee non-conference games?

I'm thinking 2-2. UNC is a beast but I think we pull it out at home, probably lose away at X (but have the talent to win), we'll definitely lose @KU imo, and I think we take down AZ on the neutral floor. But I can see either 1-3 or 3-1. I suppose 1-3 would be acceptable, but imo not if we're laying claim to our pre-season ranking. Time to step up!

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm hoping to split them...2-2.  I believe we can beat Xavier on the road and Arizona in Vegas.  North Carolina and Kansas will be tough.  Not impossible, but unlikely.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

14 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I'm thinking 2-2. UNC is a beast but I think we pull it out at home, probably lose away at X (but have the talent to win), we'll definitely lose @KU imo, and I think we take down AZ on the neutral floor. But I can see either 1-3 or 3-1. I suppose 1-3 would be acceptable, but imo not if we're laying claim to our pre-season ranking. Time to step up!

8 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

I'm hoping to split them...2-2.  I believe we can beat Xavier on the road and Arizona in Vegas.  North Carolina and Kansas will be tough.  Not impossible, but unlikely.

Bingo!

2-2 against national contenders means y'all think we are on par with national contenders. 

I rest my case, counselor HH    :)

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

At the risk of repeating myself, three things:

1. Replacing Parker Stewart with Jalen Hood Schifino,
  2. Replacing Michael Durr with Malik Reneau, and most importantly
  3. Year two of a majority of the team fully experienced in the system.

That makes us a realistic national contender IMO.

Right... But it is still a roster that to this point, hasn't done anything in their collegiate careers as a team. Especially nowhere near where expectations are. But that's the great thing going into this season, everyone seems to have massive question marks. Can UNC play like they did in the tourney all season? Timme will be good but Strother make a leap or does someone else for Gonzaga? Sasser will be great but who else steps up? How does Kansas fill in for Braun and Ochbaji leaving? Who helps take the weight off Oscar at Kentucky? Duke returns a veteran PG but are freshmen loaded and have a 1st year coachetc etc etc. It's like that for every team. I'm not sure the last time it looked so wide open going into the season. There is normally at least 1 team you can point to that'll be head and shoulders above everyone and this year doesn't have that. Reminds me a lot of the 12-13 season in a way. A season lead more by upperclassmen than it was the dazzling freshmen. I could have ranked anywhere from 10-25 honestly. 

20 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

THAT IS INSANE!!!  You might as well dissolve the NCAA.  They have been completely neutered.

Seems like they are only effective when a school is willing to needlessly punish themselves. Or, when bumper stickers are involved. That **** can't go unpunished!

While the ruling is asinine, it has been fun (living in the Lousville area) to see the NCAA cloud completely kneecap the Lousviille program. They couldn't recruit at all. 

Plus I feel confident Kenny Payne wont br making the tourney for at least a year or 2. 

Archie can't be overly happy.

From Matt Norlander -- 

Former Louisville assistant Kenny Johnson has been hit with a two-year show-cause that will prohibit him from recruiting. Johnson was hired in the spring by Archie Miller at Rhode Island. Former U of L assistant Jordan Fair also assessed a two-year show-cause.

Kenny Johnson's two-year show-cause punishment is an unusual one, but here are the particulars: Johnson is prohibited from any recruiting in April and July live periods for the next two years. Otherwise, he'll be able to continue his assistant-coaching duties as normal.

Johnson will be able to recruit for Rhode Island during the year and go to high school games, etc. That is still allowable. He'll be on the bench for games, in practices, all of it. But he'll be banned from any recruiting in the April and July live periods in '23 and '24.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Archie can't be overly happy.

From Matt Norlander -- 

Former Louisville assistant Kenny Johnson has been hit with a two-year show-cause that will prohibit him from recruiting. Johnson was hired in the spring by Archie Miller at Rhode Island. Former U of L assistant Jordan Fair also assessed a two-year show-cause.

Kenny Johnson's two-year show-cause punishment is an unusual one, but here are the particulars: Johnson is prohibited from any recruiting in April and July live periods for the next two years. Otherwise, he'll be able to continue his assistant-coaching duties as normal.

Johnson will be able to recruit for Rhode Island during the year and go to high school games, etc. That is still allowable. He'll be on the bench for games, in practices, all of it. But he'll be banned from any recruiting in the April and July live periods in '23 and '24.

I think Archie Miller is an intelligent person, but his decision making instincts as a head coach kinda really suck.