Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

4 hours ago, DWB said:

Guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think they are completely different situations at all, and what makes anybody think that coaching college basketball is so much tougher than coaching pros with salaries and egos in a different galaxy from the coaches?

I just think those of you who portray college as some special kind of situation that only "experience" college coaches can fathom is, well, lets just say I find it hard to comprehend.

I don't think the people you're referencing (including myself) were concerned with Woodson's in-game college coaching because of his age or lack of college experience. I was concerned with his coaching ability (and still am, honestly), but that was because of his NBA coaching resume. He was pretty average as a head coach. 

College is a special kind of situation because you have to go out and recruit teenagers to come play for your school. A man in his 60s having to recruit for the first time in his career is a lot different than a Tom Izzo with 25+ years of recruiting experience and networks continuing what he's been doing for the past 25+ years. If Mike Woodson had Tom Izzo's college coaching resume do you really think anyone would've been concerned with his age? Because I don't. 

A good comparison would be Juwan Howard. He was an NBA guy with no college coaching experience. He was 46 years old when he took over Michigan. Or Eric Musselman. He had mostly NBA experience, though he was an assistant in college for a few years. He was 51 years old when he got his first head college coaching job. 

It's not that college basketball is so wildly different that guys with no college experience can't ever find success in college. It's just that it's harder for a guy in his mid-60s to come to college for the first time and have the energy you need to build up a college program. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think the people you're referencing (including myself) were concerned with Woodson's in-game college coaching because of his age or lack of college experience. I was concerned with his coaching ability (and still am, honestly), but that was because of his NBA coaching resume. He was pretty average as a head coach. 

College is a special kind of situation because you have to go out and recruit teenagers to come play for your school. A man in his 60s having to recruit for the first time in his career is a lot different than a Tom Izzo with 25+ years of recruiting experience and networks continuing what he's been doing for the past 25+ years. If Mike Woodson had Tom Izzo's college coaching resume do you really think anyone would've been concerned with his age? Because I don't. 

A good comparison would be Juwan Howard. He was an NBA guy with no college coaching experience. He was 46 years old when he took over Michigan. Or Eric Musselman. He had mostly NBA experience, though he was an assistant in college for a few years. He was 51 years old when he got his first head college coaching job. 

It's not that college basketball is so wildly different that guys with no college experience can't ever find success in college. It's just that it's harder for a guy in his mid-60s to come to college for the first time and have the energy you need to build up a college program. 

While his NBA HC career may not be eye popping good, he's still coached in the NBA for 25 years, which is a feat in and of itself.

And he still has the best Knicks one season record looking back 20 years. He inherited an awful situation in ATL. 

Not really worried about it. He seems to have plenty of energy. And his passion for IU makes up for any age related concerns. 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:49 PM, Southside said:

And he still has the best Knicks one season record looking back 20 years. He inherited an awful situation in ATL. 

As I’ve pointed out several times, going back to before he was hired, his NBA stints were at least above average if you look at anything beyond winning percentage (which is a tough feat for most fans, I confess). He was also very well respected around the league. 

The recruiting thing is/was a much bigger question mark—one that he is hopefully on his way to dispensing with. 

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

RIP to Pete Carril. Incredible Coach. Princeton offense is the basis for so much modern offensive basketball. Jay Wright, John Beilein, Randy Bennett, Nate Oats, all of their structures germinated from Princeton. 

Loved that I was able to be there in person when he finally was able to win a tournament game against UCLA

5 hours ago, DWB said:

HH podcast with X is out.

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/144459442

X comes in at the 29 minute mark.

Appreciate you letting us know we need to fast forward 29 minutes. :)

Their previous interview, with Lawrence Frank, was very good. Highly recommend it but as always  you first need to fast forward past their two-man/boy “banter”.

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

one and done is about to go away 

Excellent news, IMO. For the very few able to go directly to the NBA, why the facade of college for a year? For the vast majority that aren't NBA ready, there are still professional options if they don't want to go to school. 

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

BTW, I hope this absolutely wrecks Cal & Duke's evil empires. Doubt it, but I sure hope so. 

Will not.  The top 10-15 or whatever will try to jump to the NBA like the old days.  The next 20 will Pick Duke, Kentucky, BlueBlood du jour.  The best recruiting schools will still get the next best players.  Maybe they stay in college an extra year or 2 and clog up the cycle just a tad.  

10 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Will not.  The top 10-15 or whatever will try to jump to the NBA like the old days.  The next 20 will Pick Duke, Kentucky, BlueBlood du jour.  The best recruiting schools will still get the next best players.  Maybe they stay in college an extra year or 2 and clog up the cycle just a tad.  

Generally I agree, but this will upset the apple cart a little bit, and there is no telling how what the eventual consequences will be.

--------------------------------------

Other thought: Does this mean that we're not getting Naas Cunningham at IU?

#disappointed

All,

Just hid a few posts.

While it is only natural to want to comment on the state of Emoni Bates' arrest for gun charges, one of the things that makes this board a refuge for good discussion, separated from non-sports related vitriol, is because of our standard of not letting topics veer into political commentary. That may seem unnecessary at times, but we have found that in the long run, it keeps the board a better place.

Therefore, while the mods understand that it may be natural to have strong opinions generally about arrests and guns, we are not going to let the 'College Basketball' thread go there. Hova's "oof" says it well about Bates, without venturing into larger societal problems. BTW, any Bates-related updates are a-okay.

Thanks

I feel bad for Bates clearly he’s made his own decisions but I also think he’s got the wrong people giving him advice.  I am all for kids learning their own lessons but I feel better about it when they are clearly disregarding good advice.  Instead of probably being advised poorly by self interested people who don’t care about them