Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Miles Colvin…

we are now watching you.

Do I say “ouch” or ha ha???

Wonder if it has something to do with PU’s weak NIL??
On a side note I read a lot about our BB players NIL deals but zero about our football players.  Is that impacting our 2023 FB recruiting?

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Coming off a season that was the biggest abject failure in program history probably has a lot more to do with it. 

Yep, No doubt that hurts but I’m still curious  if any IU football $$$$NIL is happening. I hear a lot about bball but nothing about football.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Yep, No doubt that hurts but I’m still curious  if any IU football $$$$NIL is happening. I hear a lot about bball but nothing about football.

Hoosiers For Good NIL program has Mullen, Barner, Shivers, and Tuttle in it. 

29 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree and that was my point.

You mention his lack of shooting….A number of posters criticized Crean back in the day because Cody didn’t get more perimeter shots, “but he hit shots  in high school” etc etc., but years in the pros showed that the perimeter game was never a strength of his. Not to disparage Cody, as I think he was one of the most important IU players in the last 20 years, but I don’t get the narrative that Crean severely under utilized him.

Completely agree! I'm a big Zeller fan too, but not sure he's hit more than a handful of shots outside the paint in 9 years in the NBA. 

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hoosiers For Good NIL program has Mullen, Barner, Shivers, and Tuttle in it. 

That’s good to hear but I’d also be curious as to how much they received and how many other football players are participating. We don’t need to be at the $1,000,000 for a QB level, as we were never getting those guys anyway, , but we do need some jingle $$ for the OL/DL/DB etc guys. At least something decent.

2 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

That’s good to hear but I’d also be curious as to how much they received and how many other football players are participating. We don’t need to be at the $1,000,000 for a QB level, as we were never getting those guys anyway, , but we do need some jingle $$ for the OL/DL/DB etc guys. At least something decent.

I’m guessing low five figures each.

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree! I'm a big Zeller fan too, but not sure he's hit more than a handful of shots outside the paint in 9 years in the NBA. 

I think it brings up another point about him. Just how insanely intelligent he is when on the court. His crazy athleticism allowed to do some thing and his intelligence got him into spots and spaces to take advantage of that. Once he got to the pros, he was smart enough to carve in a role as a hustle player and really good defender. Unfortunately just can't stay healthy which really sucks. Looking like injuries will end his career. Almost the same for Oladipo. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:48 PM, TheWatShot said:

I'll believe that game is at Gonzaga when I see them tipping off on a court that says Gonzaga on it. Still plenty of time for Cal to "negotiate" to have it moved to the nearest NBA arena. 

Saw on Twitter that this will indeed not happen on campus 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Saw on Twitter that this will indeed not happen on campus 

That was an easy prediction to make. He's so full of sh*t. Gonzaga had better not play them in Lexington, but they probably will. 

On 8/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, Demo said:

Trying not to be hyperbolic here, but this may be the single bone-stupidest basketball take I have ever read. Yeah, what fan of the game wants to be subjected to beautifully run 4-out motion with all sorts of cool little wrinkles?
Are you insane?!?

For me it's secretly praying that Gordon Hayward's shot was going to go in and also beating Maryland in the 2002 finals.

This is a former JC kid that Archie kicked the tires on but never offered. Kind of liked him so kept a little track of him. Had a really tough childhood. Nothing terribly significant here other than I just love the phrase, “First generation college graduate.” 

36 minutes ago, Demo said:

This is a former JC kid that Archie kicked the tires on but never offered. Kind of liked him so kept a little track of him. Had a really tough childhood. Nothing terribly significant here other than I just love the phrase, “First generation college graduate.” 

I don't remember him but good job. First generation college grad and didn't stop at the bachelor's degree. Nice 

On 8/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

Vic was NOT a point guard,

Right. I’m not sure how you’re having trouble putting 2 and 2 together. He wasn’t a pg. then became one. What do you think changed?  

He was bad with the ball in his hands as a frosh.  Maybe you can catch some games on YouTube and see for yourself. 

On 8/3/2022 at 11:39 AM, BGleas said:

I actually don't get all the talk about Crean not using Zeller right? How was he supposed to use him that he didn't?

Zeller is an extremely athletic big man that can't shoot and doesn't really have above average post moves. 

Crean built a fast-paced offense that utilized Zeller's end-to-end speed, athleticism and bball IQ. We often gave Zeller the ball at the top of the key to break down bigger, more plodding bigs and used his IQ with surrounding with shooters, etc.

The guy averaged 15.6ppg as a freshmen and over 16ppg as a sophomore on a team that had another All-American on it. 

Creans offense ground to a halt in the half court. Having an AA big man on your team might mean you try and get him some post touches in those scenarios. We didn’t do that nearly enough.  

A long time ago there was a stat showing Zeller got about an average amount of touches a game compared to other centers. But as you point out he got a ton of those due to his athleticism in transition and on 2nd chance points. When you back those out, it leaves him with a below average amount of touches in the regular half court offense.  

He wasn’t a monster with his back to the basket but he was athletic enough, smart enough, and a good enough passer that he could put a ton of pressure on the defense by getting the ball on the block. We did a poor job of that.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

Right. I’m not sure how you’re having trouble putting 2 and 2 together. He wasn’t a pg. then became one. What do you think changed?  

He was bad with the ball in his hands as a frosh.  Maybe you can catch some games on YouTube and see for yourself. 

Bro, you’re on another planet, just drop it