Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

6 hours ago, str8baller said:

Yes. Every game, unfortunately.  I think you’ve lost the plot somewhere. You just admitted “Vic wasn’t a point.” (Yet, he turned into one in the pro’s…hhhmmm). Now think about it and ask yourself “why?” I think you’ll figure it out pretty quickly. 

Here’s a hint: it wasn’t because Verdell Jones and Austin Rivers were good point guards who took care of the ball. 

I honestly have no idea why you're pursuing this ridiculous argument. Right, newsflash, Vic was NOT a point guard, he was a 2/off guard, he was not a primary ball handler in high school or college, and you think that supports this ridiculous, senseless argument that he could barely dribble?? Why you continue this inanity is beyond me man. And I'm not buying you watched the team then, or you (hopefully) would not pursue this ridiculous argument. That's all I can stand, I'm out of this.

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I'll believe that game is at Gonzaga when I see them tipping off on a court that says Gonzaga on it. Still plenty of time for Cal to "negotiate" to have it moved to the nearest NBA arena. 

Is Key Arena still a viable venue?

On 7/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Zeller has really became super underrated for some reason. I guess people feel he should have been way better. I don't know. I don't know. I think if Crean would have done some things differently he could have dominated more. But the narrative around him is just weird to me. 

I agree.
As a Sophomore Zeller was surrounded by Yogi, Hulls, Victor, C-Wat etc (ie other guys that could put it in the hole) so he did not need to be the focus of the offense to the degree that TJD, as an example, had to be.

It’s not as if Zeller scored 8 points a game and was forgotten due to Creans ineptness. In spite of  a great supporting cast as a Sophomore Zeller was the highest scoring big man in the BT, first team all BT, on multiple All American teams and ended up being the 4th pick in the draft. Not shabby for a second year player. Am I saying he was always used perfectly? Absolutely not but things certainly worked out for him and the team (until the Cuse).

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I agree.
As a Sophomore Zeller was surrounded by Yogi, Hulls, Victor, C-Wat etc (ie other guys that could put it in the hole) so he did not need to be the focus of the offense to the degree that TJD, as an example, had to be.

It’s not as if Zeller scored 8 points a game and was forgotten due to Creans ineptness. In spite of  a great supporting cast as a Sophomore Zeller was the highest scoring big man in the BT, first team all BT, on multiple All American teams and ended up being the 4th pick in the draft. Not shabby for a second year player. Am I saying he was always used perfectly? Absolutely not but things certainly worked out for him and the team (until the Cuse).

I actually don't get all the talk about Crean not using Zeller right? How was he supposed to use him that he didn't?

Zeller is an extremely athletic big man that can't shoot and doesn't really have above average post moves. 

Crean built a fast-paced offense that utilized Zeller's end-to-end speed, athleticism and bball IQ. We often gave Zeller the ball at the top of the key to break down bigger, more plodding bigs and used his IQ with surrounding with shooters, etc.

The guy averaged 15.6ppg as a freshmen and over 16ppg as a sophomore on a team that had another All-American on it. 

Will be interesting to see what Gibbs-Lawhorn does considering he's only got two other verifiable offers at this time, those being UC-Santa Barbara and IU.  Not to mention his IU offer was from Archie and I don't think Woody & Co. followed up on it much.  There seemed to be a lot of interest from bigger programs but not a lot of actual offers.

16 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

Checked in on Gold and Black.  Not much discussion going on over there except for a lot of "I told ya so's".

By the way, a big thank you to all of the moderators on BTB for keeping this site clean, civil, and on topic.  Their forum is a complete disaster.

True; the mods here are very excellent.

And good looking.

And young—---------------------------------------------------------------------------ish.

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh… you’re the good looking one.

Hova covers “young-ish.”

Me and Demo have excellent dental health. That’s all we got.

Oh, boy. No one has told you about your breath? I can smell it from here...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh… you’re the good looking one.

Hova covers “young-ish.”

Me and Demo have excellent dental health. That’s all we got.

Young-ish, but Old Fart still absolutely bodybags me in productivity. 

Oh and don’t forget; Stromboli is……….the tasty one.  

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I actually don't get all the talk about Crean not using Zeller right? How was he supposed to use him that he didn't?

Zeller is an extremely athletic big man that can't shoot and doesn't really have above average post moves. 

Crean built a fast-paced offense that utilized Zeller's end-to-end speed, athleticism and bball IQ. We often gave Zeller the ball at the top of the key to break down bigger, more plodding bigs and used his IQ with surrounding with shooters, etc.

The guy averaged 15.6ppg as a freshmen and over 16ppg as a sophomore on a team that had another All-American on it. 

I agree and that was my point.

You mention his lack of shooting….A number of posters criticized Crean back in the day because Cody didn’t get more perimeter shots, “but he hit shots  in high school” etc etc., but years in the pros showed that the perimeter game was never a strength of his. Not to disparage Cody, as I think he was one of the most important IU players in the last 20 years, but I don’t get the narrative that Crean severely under utilized him.