Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

On 7/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, Hovadipo said:

Crean being on the illustration for this article is hilariously on-point. The college athletics mindset behind working hours is nuts and not conducive to being productive at all.

“So you get two good hours on the field about every day, you get about an hour and a half in the meeting room and that’s pretty much all you need to thoroughly coach your team.”

-- Steve Spurrier

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

“So you get two good hours on the field about every day, you get about an hour and a half in the meeting room and that’s pretty much all you need to thoroughly coach your team.”

-- Steve Spurrier

I think there's a stark difference in the amount of practice and meeting room time, to the amount of total time spent by coaches. 

Recruiting certainly isn't measured. And it's vastly different these days.

Spurrier was great in the day. Long time ago. And his comments are about team time. 

Not saying a HC needs to be 24/7. But we do need to competitive in whoever it is that's staying in touch. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-transfer-portal-is-about-to-get-even-wilder-when-the-ncaa-allows-players-to-transfer-multiple-times/amp/

So it's about to become unlimited immediate eligibility transfers. How long before schools want to start paying the players so they can sign them to professional contracts? Lol

43 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-transfer-portal-is-about-to-get-even-wilder-when-the-ncaa-allows-players-to-transfer-multiple-times/amp/

So it's about to become unlimited immediate eligibility transfers. How long before schools want to start paying the players so they can sign them to professional contracts? Lol

"College" Sports are well on their way to jumping the shark. Pretty soon players will be able to change teams during halftime. 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, go iu bb said:

NCAA needs to get ahead of things like that. If it gets to the point where players are indeed getting paid by the schools on contracts, the NCAA needs to put very strict limits on how much they can make in that contract and not just crazy free market type stuff. Put a limit on it and you'll still be seeing the same type of commitment trends you see now.

Field of 68 is releasing their Top 25 players of the last decade. They have released their 21-25 shots so far. 

25. Paolo Banchero(Duke)

24. Fred VanVleet(Wichita State)

23. Armando Bacon(North Carolina)

22. RJ Barrett(Duke)

21. Victor Oladipo(Indiana)

So a couple things... It'll be interesting to see if TJD or Yogi are in the Top 20 which I don't believe they will be. Also that Cody Zeller is guaranteed to not be, even though Vic is 21st. For whatever reason, Zeller is just underrated at this point as a Hoosier. 

5 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Field of 68 is releasing their Top 25 players of the last decade. They have released their 21-25 shots so far. 

25. Paolo Banchero(Duke)

24. Fred VanVleet(Wichita State)

22. RJ Barrett(Duke)

21. Victor Oladipo(Indiana)

So a couple things... It'll be interesting to see if TJD or Yogi are in the Top 20 which I don't believe they will be. Also that Cody Zeller is guaranteed to not be, even though Vic is 21st. For whatever reason, Zeller is just underrated at this point as a Hoosier. 

Zeller over Oladipo all day as a college BB player. Both excellent!  Love them both, but if I’m drafting a CBB team, I’m taking Zeller.  

also, Armando BacoN is his new name forever. 

35 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Zeller over Oladipo all day as a college BB player. Both excellent!  Love them both, but if I’m drafting a CBB team, I’m taking Zeller.  

Bacon was definitely an autocorrect lol. 

I think Vic's story definitely boost him up. Not that he wasn't really good, but I think over the last 10 seasons, I'd put Cody and Yogi above him as a Hoosier. But that's just my opinion. They just released their 16-20 as well. 

9 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Bacot is a nice player. Was he a Top 25 player CBB last SEASON? Maybe, but probably not. Top 25 from the last decade? That isn't just recency bias, that is ridiculous.

His career stats: 

GP GS MIN FG FG% 3PT 3PT% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS

100 99 26.7 5.0-8.955.60.0-0.111.13.1-4.766.23.46.610.01.21.30.72.61.7 13.0 

C'mon. 

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Absolutely. He was our best cbb player since Jeffries. Maybe even before that. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yogi ended up being a better college player than Cody or Vic.

#hot take

You can make that argument. I'd still take Zeller. He without a doubt changed the entire program. We won 12 games before he got here and then won 26 his freshman year. And we can all thank him for Yogi coming in. But Yogi definitely has that argument and 2 B1G titles under his belt. 

Yogi ended up being a better college player than Cody or Vic.

#hot take

Don't agree he was better than vic and Cody but really wish he was older and was playing his junior senior level with Cody and vic cause even with crean that could have been a championship team

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk