Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I think it’s fine, maybe even a plus to take a home grown low ceiling kid. But taking too many of them at once can really water down a roster.

Purdue will have Waddell, Brandon Smith, and Benter at the same time for three years. That’s a lot of low ceiling players to float.

With so many low ceilings, they need to stop recruiting seven footers.

Interesting little poll for the more……uh, sophisticated, ok, old, around here:  How far down the list do you get before you hit that 1st “who”?  I’ve got nothin’ on Frantz Volcy or Bob Erbst, other than feeling fairly certain they probably weren’t as good as Kendall Gill. 

44 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

Interesting, none from Indiana and none to Indiana.

Yep clearly because of a lack of in state talent that Hoosier team was doomed to a decade of mediocrity…..because as we all know we aren’t able to be good unless it’s a team of primarily players from Indiana and you have to have a top recruiting class every single year 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep clearly because of a lack of in state talent that Hoosier team was doomed to a decade of mediocrity…..because as we all know we aren’t able to be good unless it’s a team of primarily players from Indiana and you have to have a top recruiting class every single year 

Yet our last great teams from 92 and 93 was mainly made up with players from Indiana and Illinois.

Cheaney.

G. Graham 

Bailey

Nover 

Henderson

Evans 

Leary 

P. Graham

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet our last great teams from 92 and 93 was mainly made up with players from Indiana and Illinois.

Cheaney.

G. Graham 

Bailey

Nover 

Henderson

Evans 

Leary 

P. Graham

I can’t tell if you picked up on my sarcasm or not?

On 7/15/2022 at 10:01 AM, Hovadipo said:

Crean being on the illustration for this article is hilariously on-point. The college athletics mindset behind working hours is nuts and not conducive to being productive at all.

I was always told to work smarter not harder.

21 hours ago, Demo said:

Interesting little poll for the more……uh, sophisticated, ok, old, around here:  How far down the list do you get before you hit that 1st “who”?  I’ve got nothin’ on Frantz Volcy or Bob Erbst, other than feeling fairly certain they probably weren’t as good as Kendall Gill. 

I graduated high school that year....where am I on the list?

On 7/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, Stuhoo said:

Purdue takes a homegrown unrated SG for 2024. His first Power 5 offer and the young man jumped on it:

If you want to get a laugh, read the GBI reactions to him.  Everything from 'he's the best high school shooter I've ever seen' to 'he's strong enough to back down Big Ten guards' to 'he has a chance to be a Robbie Hummel clone'.  All of a guy who had offers from Indiana State, Liberty, and Purdue and is unrated.  One guy made the suggestion that his spot is to just be a shooter and the board wanted to lynch him.

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If you want to get a laugh, read the GBI reactions to him.  Everything from 'he's the best high school shooter I've ever seen' to 'he's strong enough to back down Big Ten guards' to 'he has a chance to be a Robbie Hummel clone'.  All of a guy who had offers from Indiana State, Liberty, and Purdue and is unrated.  One guy made the suggestion that his spot is to just be a shooter and the board wanted to lynch him.

I don't know anything about the kid, but CMP has been pretty good at identifying kids who fit what he is trying to do. I'm not going to dismiss or mock Benter until I see him on the court two years from now. I hate all things Purdue with a lifelong passion, but respect CMP more than any other coach in the B1G except ours. He does things the right way and is a class act. I read elsewhere that his dad is 6'8". He could be a completely different player two years from now.

I don't know anything about the kid, but CMP has been pretty good at identifying kids who fit what he is trying to do. I'm not going to dismiss or mock Benter until I see him on the court two years from now. I hate all things Purdue with a lifelong passion, but respect CMP more than any other coach in the B1G except ours. He does things the right way and is a class act. I read elsewhere that his dad is 6'8". He could be a completely different player two years from now.

Yeah, he scored 27 ppg as a sophomore and shot it 44% from 3 on 200 attempts. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt to Painter on this one. Benter could likely be a Stefanovich type player. Painter knows basketball, and recruits to his style.

Smith and Waddell can play too. Curious to see it play out, and hope eventually Painter starts to fail.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I graduated high school that year....where am I on the list?

Egregious oversight. If it’s any consolation, Gary Payton graduated that year and he’s not on there either.. The 2 of you combined to score something like 20,000 points in the League.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:44 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, he scored 27 ppg as a sophomore and shot it 44% from 3 on 200 attempts. I’m going to give the benefit of the doubt to Painter on this one. Benter could likely be a Stefanovich type player. Painter knows basketball, and recruits to his style.

Smith and Waddell can play too. Curious to see it play out, and hope eventually Painter starts to fail.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Stefanovich had his role, but he killed Purdue on defense last year.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:01 AM, Hovadipo said:

Crean being on the illustration for this article is hilariously on-point. The college athletics mindset behind working hours is nuts and not conducive to being productive at all.

Law of diminishing returns. It doesn’t mean it isn’t worth it.  Spending 80 hrs in the office won’t turn Crean into coach Knight, but it might help coach Knight squeeze out a victory over Dean Smith. 

In a zero sum game even diminished returns can be worth chasing, especially in high stakes games.