Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

25 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Dear lord, the dude must be pulling in a boatload of NIL money. How can you improve your stock after winning NPOY?

On the flip side, while I don’t like seeing UK improve, I think moves like this and Bacot make it easier for TJD to return.

Couldn't it have the opposite effect?

Bacot and Tshiebwe are 2 less bigs that would have potentially been taken ahead of TJD now.

26 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Dear lord, the dude must be pulling in a boatload of NIL money. How can you improve your stock after winning NPOY?

On the flip side, while I don’t like seeing UK improve, I think moves like this and Bacot make it easier for TJD to return.

Also is great for college basketball fans. So many familiar faces staying put next year.

3 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Couldn't it have the opposite effect?

Bacot and Tshiebwe are 2 less bigs that would have potentially been taken ahead of TJD now.

Maybe, although I'm guessing neither were mocked in the 1st round.

Purely my opinion, but I think the biggest obstacle to TJD coming back is a sense of failure that comes from not making the pros in a given time frame. I don't think he thought he'd be in college 3 years let alone 4. But moves like Bacot and Tshiebwe lessen the importance of that IMO, and also I'm hoping gets boosters motivated once the number for Tshiebwe comes out.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oscar returning to Kentucky. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oscar returning to Kentucky. 

For approximately 2 million in NIL.   Kentucky gonna Kentucky.  Set the bar high enough to get who they want.

It's curious to me that Kentucky would be NIL champions/runner up.  I've always attributed NIKE money/agent money and WWW/Calipari connections to their recruiting wins.  So if Oscar isn't a bonafide NBA guy, is Nike still paying into this NIL because HE IS a bonafide NCAA star?  Is that enough ROI for them?  Is it boosters?  I don't imagine Kentucky Boosters run the show but maybe I underestimate them.  Lots to ponder.  

13 minutes ago, Trish said:

wow

And, to the surprise of no one at all, Kyle Neptune would replace him. In fact, Neptune’s Wikipedia page already says it. 

7 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

As shocking as the news is, I just hope that Wright isn't stepping down because of family or health issues.  Really admire and respect what he's done.  It's a loss for college basketball that he'll no longer be coaching.

Sadly I gotta imagine it is one of those two things.  Guy seems like two much of a competitor to just say he’s done at such a “young” age

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sadly I gotta imagine it is one of those two things.  Guy seems like two much of a competitor to just say he’s done at such a “young” age

And then again, maybe he's just tired of dirty recruiting going unpunished, having to deal with the portal and the chaos it creates with roster management and with NIL.  Life's too short if you no longer enjoy what you've done for years.

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Wright’s 60, and I gotta be honest: I’m in the first half of my 30s, but if I had his earnings and professional success at 60 — especially in such a time-consuming career — I’d absolutely wrap up.

I'm 43. If I had his earnings today I would retire. I don't mean sit home and watch Judge Judy all day, but definitely would not be working for anyone else. I'd be in complete control of my time and the type of things (work included) that I spend it on. 

29 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And then again, maybe he's just tired of dirty recruiting going unpunished, having to deal with the portal and the chaos it creates with roster management and with NIL.  Life's too short if you no longer enjoy what you've done for years.

Jay Wright seemingly has his ducks in a row muuuuch more than many other coaches. I think you nailed it. No reason to let basketball kill you especially after all he’s accomplished. I doubt there’s a single thing wrong with him. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He has also a 40 year ride of constant travel and a constant life without privacy in the spotlight.

Great leaders are extremely comfortable with change. Recruiting chaos and personnel issues are a constant in the profession. Changes in those issues likely haven’t fazed him. I would expect this is primarily a lifestyle choice. 

Gotta wonder. He wasn’t getting these 5 stars pre-NIL by being completely clean though. He’s got much less sludge on him then other successful coaches. I think the timing is interesting.

Who is replacing him? The players just found out tonight? Something changed imo based on timing.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Gotta wonder. He wasn’t getting these 5 stars pre-NIL by being completely clean though. He’s got much less sludge on him then other successful coaches. I think the timing is interesting.

Who is replacing him? The players just found out tonight? Something changed imo based on timing.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Kyle Neptune is replacing him it sounds like but the current recruits didn’t commit to Kyle Neptune.