Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

42 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'd lean more to the lie. I wouldn't necessarily call it a flat-out lie -- but I think he's just trying to give the perception that he wasn't bothered by it. He's trying to play it down, so to speak. You get dumped by a gorgeous woman and you say, "Meh -- no big deal." But c'mon -- it is. He was very successful at Dayton, but an abject failure at IU -- how can that not bother you? 

At his URI presser, he talked about his time at Dayton, then referred to his "next stop" -- or something like that. Seems to me he's bothered by the fact that he failed at IU, but just doesn't want to admit it. He just never seemed to connect with IU.

I do think he cared about IU hoops and wasn't here just to collect a paycheck. He just wasn't the right fit. The weird thing? I still think to this day, had we night hired him, Ohio State would have once they parted with Matta. I really wonder how that would've worked out. Was coaching in the B1G too much for him, or was it just the fishbowl that is IU that he couldn't handle? 

Clearly Archie Miller was the wrong guy to coach Indiana at that time.  But I do believe that he was hampered by the IU administration in a lot he could do.

First, IU made it clear that the PG he had recruited for Dayton could not be given a scholarship at IU. 

Second, he must recruit inside of Indiana, so he did.  Does anyone think that recruiting outside of the state suffered?  Maybe this was because the IU Administration wanted more control over recruiting.  Remember Crean would extend an offer to any potential recruit that made eye contact.

Third, he could not remove players that caused problems because of the NCAA grade issue that he inherited.  Remember the locker room stuff? And the players that stopped moving on court? And the other issues about well, never mind.

Fourth, take a second and reflect on the difference in support that Woody has.  Matta as IU Assistant AD for Administration. Recruiting expertise both inside and outside of the state...check the assistants.  Woody can use the transfer portal because it didn't exist for Archie.    And Woody's ability to let a player go may be more flexible now...we just have not had time to gain that perspective.

Fifth, the cupboard was not in as bad a shape when Woody came in as it was for Archie.  Archie never really got the right players for his scheme.  At Dayton they were smart, shared the ball, did what was necessary to get the loose ball, they knew how to win.  At IU it was the opposite.  Why?  Well, could it be because of the culture, the players, the IU administration, and the coach couldn't break through all of that?

I'm really glad that Archie Miller is gone from IU.  I wish him the best.  I do believe that he got the short end of the draw from IU.

I'm really glad that the administration is seeming to support coach Woody.  Good for them.

Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel for the IU basketball future.  BDT     (aBout Darn Time)

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

he must recruit inside of Indiana

This is totally wrong and misleading. Nobody instructed Archie to recruit Indiana to the exclusion or detriment of national recruits. What IU fans were frustrated during the Crean era by was missing out on top Indiana high school players, e.g.,  Gary Harris (Michigan State), Zak Irvin (Michigan), Kyle Guy (Virginia), Kris Wilkes (UCLA). Miller came in and recruited three successive Indiana Mr. Basketballs. But he also recruited out-of-state, e.g., top 100 player Race Thompson and top 50 player Jerome Hunter.  Recruiting suffered over time under Archie because the team was underperforming on the court, not because Archie wasn't trying to recruit in both in-state and out-of-state. In fact, we lost out on several top 100 out-of-state players. Out-of-state players are interested in playing for teams that play in the NCAA tournament.  Miller inherited some good players, like Juwan Morgan who is still in the NBA and then recruited top ten player Romeo Langford (also still in the NBA) and then Indiana Mr. Basketball Trayce Jackson Davis. Unfortunately, the one year when it looked like IU would make the tournament was the year it was cancelled because of COVID. But the fact is, Archie's offensive schemes were terrible and his pack line defense didn't work against team that could shoot the 3-point shot. 

On 4/11/2022 at 12:25 PM, Dave from Dayton said:

Clearly Archie Miller was the wrong guy to coach Indiana at that time.  But I do believe that he was hampered by the IU administration in a lot he could do.

First, IU made it clear that the PG he had recruited for Dayton could not be given a scholarship at IU. 

Second, he must recruit inside of Indiana, so he did.  Does anyone think that recruiting outside of the state suffered?  Maybe this was because the IU Administration wanted more control over recruiting.  Remember Crean would extend an offer to any potential recruit that made eye contact.

Third, he could not remove players that caused problems because of the NCAA grade issue that he inherited.  Remember the locker room stuff? And the players that stopped moving on court? And the other issues about well, never mind.

Fourth, take a second and reflect on the difference in support that Woody has.  Matta as IU Assistant AD for Administration. Recruiting expertise both inside and outside of the state...check the assistants.  Woody can use the transfer portal because it didn't exist for Archie.    And Woody's ability to let a player go may be more flexible now...we just have not had time to gain that perspective.

Fifth, the cupboard was not in as bad a shape when Woody came in as it was for Archie.  Archie never really got the right players for his scheme.  At Dayton they were smart, shared the ball, did what was necessary to get the loose ball, they knew how to win.  At IU it was the opposite.  Why?  Well, could it be because of the culture, the players, the IU administration, and the coach couldn't break through all of that?

I'm really glad that Archie Miller is gone from IU.  I wish him the best.  I do believe that he got the short end of the draw from IU.

I'm really glad that the administration is seeming to support coach Woody.  Good for them.

Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel for the IU basketball future.  BDT     (aBout Darn Time)

Then again….Archie went 12-15 with as much talent as Woodson went to the tourney with.

On 4/10/2022 at 9:50 PM, Stuhoo said:

Usps is AD.

Demo is recruiting director.

Josh is head coach, in a crazy but effective Bruce Pearl style.

Old Fart is emeritus bench coach ala Phil Martelli.

Hova is hype man.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:41 PM, Hovadipo said:

Dirty Josh and the boys. 

Press conferences gonna be fire

This post is about Ohio State women's basketball and its problems with the NCAA.  Problems that also extended into its fencing and women's golf programs.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/4/19/media-center-violations-occurred-in-ohio-state-fencing-womens-golf-and-womens-basketball-programs.aspx

24 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This post is about Ohio State women's basketball and its problems with the NCAA.  Problems that also extended into its fencing and women's golf programs.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/4/19/media-center-violations-occurred-in-ohio-state-fencing-womens-golf-and-womens-basketball-programs.aspx

NCAA fencing corruption is out of control.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He's coming back and wants the fanfare.  NIL making huge impacts.

Yep.  I was talking with somebody today and they pointed out that if TJD comes back next year and once again doesn’t have a perimeter shot. Why wouldn’t some donor want to make it worth his while to stick around a 5th year. Probably not realistic but imagine if we got Evans

JHS, Bates, Evans, Reneau, TJD 

^ Once again not realistic. Not a prediction. But damn that would be sweet 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He's coming back and wants the fanfare.  NIL making huge impacts.

Yea I don't see why in the world he would leave. 1. He's not on the NBAs radar. 2. NBA really doesn't like slow big dudes who aren't shot blocking machines or that can't take over offensively (which correlates with 1). 3. He's got the footwork of a newborn deer(which correlates with 1 and 2).