Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Not sure where this belongs, but apparently Juwan Howard's name is being thrown around for the Lakers job when they axe Vogel. 

Kind of hope it happens. Juwan is recruiting great right now and would love for him to jump. 

With his son joining his team at Michigan this fall, I'm pretty skeptical but I do think that once his kid is gone, Juwan will make a move back to the pro game.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With his son joining his team at Michigan this fall, I'm pretty skeptical but I do think that once his kid is gone, Juwan will make a move back to the pro game.

This is the general consensus among informed UM fans, too

32 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an interesting story about Sean and Archie Miller both getting back into coaching this cycle.

I have no ill will toward Arch, but, “I haven’t thought one second about my time there. It came and it’s gone,” is not what I’d want to here as an AD looking for a coach to have learned from his experiences. It’s not what I’d want to hear if I’d played for him. And it’s not what I’d want him to say if he wanted my child to play for him.

It’s Archie’s attitude though. His system was infallible and everybody else was stupid for not being able to see that.  

Which to be fair his system does sound rock solid. I just don’t think we ever saw a group of kids actually got prepared to play it. We saw kids that didn’t seem to be a fit for it being asked to play it and they seemed confused by it to boot.  

None of us will ever miss Archie because of that. If times get bad again we will look past him and dream of Crean and his Sweet Sixteens and Big Ten championships

If I was Archie I would find it hard to think of his time here either. He accomplished nothing. He didn’t appear to grow as a coach at all.  And he left a complete and abject failure and to boot he had to watch a first year coach taking primarily his roster to further heights than he ever knew. 

The fact he ain’t thinking about it certainly means he’s not learning from it. So he’s either convinced he’s the smartest guy in the room and doesn’t need to learn. Or really he’s just checked out on his growth and he will continue to struggle. 

Kind of the opposite of Mike Davis who still talks about what he learned here. And has kept his nose to the grindstone and has become a much better coach learning from past mistakes.  Which is why if Mike Davis ever returns to the building I will cheer for and hope for a good game. If Archie comes back I’ll ignore him and expect us to blow them out. 

14 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Not sure where this belongs, but apparently Juwan Howard's name is being thrown around for the Lakers job when they axe Vogel. 

Kind of hope it happens. Juwan is recruiting great right now and would love for him to jump. 

Agreed.  Besides the recruiting guy can definitely coach. Bad combo 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s Archie’s attitude though. His system was infallible and everybody else was stupid for not being able to see that.  

Which to be fair his system does sound rock solid. I just don’t think we ever saw a group of kids actually got prepared to play it. We saw kids that didn’t seem to be a fit for it being asked to play it and they seemed confused by it to boot.  

None of us will ever miss Archie because of that. If times get bad again we will look past him and dream of Crean and his Sweet Sixteens and Big Ten championships

If I was Archie I would find it hard to think of his time here either. He accomplished nothing. He didn’t appear to grow as a coach at all.  And he left a complete and abject failure and to boot he had to watch a first year coach taking primarily his roster to further heights than he ever knew. 

The fact he ain’t thinking about it certainly means he’s not learning from it. So he’s either convinced he’s the smartest guy in the room and doesn’t need to learn. Or really he’s just checked out on his growth and he will continue to struggle. 

Kind of the opposite of Mike Davis who still talks about what he learned here. And has kept his nose to the grindstone and has become a much better coach learning from past mistakes.  Which is why if Mike Davis ever returns to the building I will cheer for and hope for a good game. If Archie comes back I’ll ignore him and expect us to blow them out. 

Mike Davis did return to the building when he coached at Texas Southern.  He received nice applause.

51 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Usps is AD.

Demo is recruiting director.

Josh is head coach, in a crazy but effective Bruce Pearl style.

Old Fart is emeritus bench coach ala Phil Martelli.

Hova is hype man.

Dirty Josh and the boys. 

16 hours ago, lillurk said:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an interesting story about Sean and Archie Miller both getting back into coaching this cycle.

I have no ill will toward Arch, but, “I haven’t thought one second about my time there. It came and it’s gone,” is not what I’d want to here as an AD looking for a coach to have learned from his experiences. It’s not what I’d want to hear if I’d played for him. And it’s not what I’d want him to say if he wanted my child to play for him.

It's also almost certainly a flat out lie. You got fired from one of the best jobs in America and haven't thought about one second of it? Lol okay, man. Very cool, very edgy!

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It's also almost certainly a flat out lie. You got fired from one of the best jobs in America and haven't thought about one second of it? Lol okay, man. Very cool, very edgy!

yeah if only we didn't have to think one second of it either

8 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Yeah, and I never think about my crazy hot ex that dumped my @$$ because I was a schlub *drinks*

16 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

He’s been fairly positive regarding IU over the last year but there’s always been a sour grapes vibe. And his brother blames IU for him not succeeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprising his slimy brother gives him plenty of slack.....but would love to hear the explanation how IU failed him. Call me skeptical. I suspect Archie continues to regret the day he left Dayton- although probably made more $$, I doubt he ever catches that lightening in a bottle again.  

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

And if not a lie, it clearly means he really didn't care about IU basketball and it was all about collecting a paycheck.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I'm thinking that his wording might be sloppy and dismissive.  Maybe he meant that he doesn't dwell on that episode in his coaching career.  Maybe he doesn't have a lot positive to say about his take on the IU administration's hobbling his recruiting and not allowing him to cut negative players from the team. Maybe he determined that his method of disciplining players had been skewered by the administration.   So, he doesn't discuss it so that writers and fans don't go ballistic when he says something that doesn't match what we want to hear.  And it really would be bad form to throw one's previous employer or players under the bus.  

Maybe being dismissive and cutting off the discussion is a better tactic than talking about it.

Maybe.  I'm probably right.  Usually am.  

That is all I have to say about that./s