Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

McCaffery crying after a big ten tournament title seems a little much. Conference tourneys are a fun way to end the season an all, but if that’s the mountain top for you emotionally I don’t know. 

Iowa hasn't won a Big Ten title since 1979. Their last Final Four was in 1980. Winning the Big Ten tournament is a huge deal for them. They aren't a program that gets 5 star talent, and they only get a legit chance to contend for a league title about every 5-6 years if things line up right. 

McCaffery might be happy he's finally found a way to avoid a huge late season meltdown. Iowa really came on strong the last few weeks. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Iowa hasn't won a Big Ten title since 1979. Their last Final Four was in 1980. Winning the Big Ten tournament is a huge deal for them. They aren't a program that gets 5 star talent, and they only get a legit chance to contend for a league title about every 5-6 years if things line up right. 

McCaffery might be happy he's finally found a way to avoid a huge late season meltdown. Iowa really came on strong the last few weeks. 

Probably gets a hefty bonus too!

Almost every winner of the NCAA tournament has finished with a POM offensive and defensive rating in the top 25.....very few exceptions to this rule.

By that rule, there are only six serious contenders for the title this year:

Gonzaga (offense 1, defense 7)

Arizona (offense 5, defense 20)

Houston (offense 10, defense 11)

Baylor (offense 9, defense 14)

UCLA (offense 15, defense 12)

Auburn (offense 24, defense 8)

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Almost every winner of the NCAA tournament has finished with a POM offensive and defensive rating in the top 25.....very few exceptions to this rule.

That’s good info to know when I fill out my bracket 

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

South Carolina has parted ways with Frank Martin.  Seems like yesterday he was a hot commodity for coaching vacancies.

The hotel rooms the teams don't use in Greenville SC are gonna be filled by $EC athletic directors running interviews.

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

South Carolina has parted ways with Frank Martin.  Seems like yesterday he was a hot commodity for coaching vacancies.

It's crazy how a coach will come out of nowhere to take a team to the Final Four, he's a hot commodity, provides memorable, inspiring quotes about teaching today's youth, then you don't hear about him for a few years, and suddenly, he's out of a job. 

I'm sure his name came up at some point last year in our coaching search. 

12 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It's crazy how a coach will come out of nowhere to take a team to the Final Four, he's a hot commodity, provides memorable, inspiring quotes about teaching today's youth, then you don't hear about him for a few years, and suddenly, he's out of a job. 

I'm sure his name came up at some point last year in our coaching search. 

He strikes me as a guy who can come in and have success but wears out his welcome pretty quickly. 

8 hours ago, str8baller said:

He strikes me as a guy who can come in and have success but wears out his welcome pretty quickly. 

He's a good X and O guy.  South Carolina certainly isn't an easy place to win.  He's averaged 17-15 and 8-10 in the conference over 10 years there but only made the tournament once.

That said, he seems like a very blunt guy and that probably doesn't help on the recruiting trail.  But put him at a place where he gets talent equal to the rest of the conference and he would thrive.

f07514c73400e8da0bc74a2fe5f1b32c.png&key=71f7d7159ae41d0adbbc88eeed8348af8d1860ac720e9c767df9fff1c492669c

NCAA needs to publicly explain how this happened and compensate CSU accordingly. And if they don’t I would fully support CSU going scorched earth on the NCAA and I bet they would have a bunch of other schools in their corner fighting with them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archie and Sean Miller -- along with our good friend, Jeff Goodman -- break down the East.

Archie doesn't hate us -- even picks us to win two games -- but Sean does. Probably protecting little brother a little from our awful fans, and his son is on staff at St. Mary's. Sean has us losing to Wyoming.

Archie throws a little dirt at Purdue -- says they have a tough matchup against Yale and will lose to Texas/Virginia Tech. Geez, Arch -- where was that dislike of PU when you were in B-town? LOL. 

Not surprisingly, both Millers pick Kentucky out of the region -- the family is tight with Cal. 

17 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He’s well liked here in SC but couldn’t keep up the momentum after his final four run. He took the ***** to only one NCAA tournament during his tenure. As Indiana has said since 99, next man up.

23 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I'd add Kentucky to that mix, at 4 and 27 you're basically splitting hairs.

Interesting stats from Pom:

1.  Division 1 teams shot a combined 71.7% from the free throw line this season.  This is the highest percentage in NCAA history.

2.  Home winning percentage of games this season was 57.5%.  This matches last year's home winning percentage of 57.5% with no fans in the stands.  Both these marks are the lowest since Pom has tracked it (1997 on).

3.  Three point percentage nationwide was at 33.7%.  This is the second lowest mark.  Lowest was 33.3% in 2020, which I believe coincides with moving the line back.

4.  While free throw percentage was at an all time high, the rate at which free throws were shot was at an the lowest point it has been since Pom has tracked it (1987).

5.  Two point field goal percentage was at 49.7%.  Since the advent of the three point shot, two point percentages for the season have been between 47.3% (2000) and 50.1% (2019).  Prior to the advent of the three point shot, field goal percentage peaked at 48.1% (no threes, obviously, all twos).

6.  Average player height was up 1/10th of an inch to 6'5.0".  This is the tallest since Pom has tracked it (2007).  Average height in 2007 was 6'4.5".....basically a half increase over the past 15 years.

7.  Percentage of made shots that were assisted was at 50.8%.  This is the lowest mark since it has been tracked (1994).  Highest mark was 55.7% in 2006.

8.  Offensive rebounds continue to drop -- at 28.1% of all rebounds.  Lowest was in 2020 and 2021 at 28.0%.  It has been tracked since 1997;  highest mark was in 1997 when it was 35.6%.

9.  Tempo was down 1.1 possessions per team this year from last but offensive efficiency went up slightly.

10.  Percentage of possessions resulting in turnovers tied for the second lowest mark since its been tracked.  Turnovers are currently 15% less than in 1997 when it was first tracked.