Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

12 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I don’t know how many minorities are actually on this board. I’m one of them and I only speak about myself. For me personally even with graduate degrees and an MBA from UNC/IU and even being financially well off your aware of it 24/7. It’s not always right at ya like a KKK member out to get you but it’s constantly there. There really is no right or wrong, it’s just always there and something I always have to be aware of. When people here say “watch it be about race” I kind of roll my eyes a bit because I just don’t think people get it. As a minority, I always have to think about my surroundings and how to converse with people. It’s “watch it be about race” because as a minority your taught to always know your surroundings and to think about how to engage with people.  As a minority, I have to ask myself the way Gard grabbed Howard, would have he done that to Izzo or Painter? It’s not fair to maybe ask that question but because we live in that world we constantly have to ask that question. Just my point of view and I’m closed on this particular topic.     

Thank you that is what I was trying to say but you said it much better. It's sad that we have to think like this but it's the truth. I was blind to it for about 30 years, then married my wife and had my eyes opened. 

9 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I’m sorry but I completely disagree with your first point and could very easily make the same point using your exact logic. What do you gain by pressing down 15 with 25 seconds left? You’re not going to win and you’re not going to learn much pressing players at the end of the opposing team’s bench.

If you’re going to do it, don’t get pissed when the other team calls a timeout

I understand. In my year's coaching I just always thought it was BS to call a timeout up a lot. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Because if roles were reversed no one would be saying anything about Gard. It's always about race. Black people have been treated differently in this country for the last 200 years.

Seriously Chris, this makes no sense. So you are saying if Gard punched another man in the face after a basketball game, no one would be saying anything? 
he would have already been fired

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Seriously Chris, this makes no sense. So you are saying if Gard punched another man in the face after a basketball game, no one would be saying anything? 
he would have already been fired

I'm saying people's first reaction wouldn't be to fire him. Like I saw all day yesterday with Howard. 

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Quite the teaser from The Field of 68

BREAKING NEWS: A five-star recruit will be making a surprise commitment on The Field of 68 at 4:00 p.m. ET today. Make sure to tune in here, especially if you are a fan of the Big Ten ...

KWAME EVANS!!

jk probably somebody to Ohio State or MSU

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It’s also BS to press a bunch of walk-ons with your starters when you are down a lot 

Exactly what I thought. Don't be PO'ed when a coach calls time out in response to what you are doing. He's got his bench in. He is trying to run the game out.

Believe me, I will never be a Gard defender, but in this case, He called time because Howard decided to press his bench players. Howard was still playing ball, but Gard isn't supposed to?

30 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

As a minority, I always have to think about my surroundings and how to converse with people. It’s “watch it be about race” because as a minority your taught to always know your surroundings and to think about how to engage with people.       

That seems like good, universal advice to me.  If more people thought about their surroundings and especially how they interacted with others before engaging, we'd have fewer incidents like this. Of course, ego, like in this situation, often comes into play to escalate a situation.  

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

Actual basketball history paints a different story. The roles weren't reversed when John Chaney threatened to kill Calipari and tried to strangle him during a press conference. Very few if anyone called for Chaney to be fired, despite it reportedly being at least the 3rd time Chaney had attacked an opposing coach, in fact he was only suspended one game for that incident. IMO, anyone calling for Howard to be fired is more a product of the current time, of a society prone to regular overreaction and constant handwringing over anything or nothing, than anything racial.

Be careful, that doesn't support the narrative some are trying to create.

14 hours ago, Southside said:

The league, and the nation, hell the world for that matters, is way too sanitized. 

Not trying to say violence isn't bad or solves things. What I am saying is that people are both good and bad, and both.... and life overall is grey and always will be despite what utopian ideas you might by in to. 

Human nature.... flaws. And punches lol.... 

Equal rights….. and lefts! 

2 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I don’t know how many minorities are actually on this board. I’m one of them and I only speak about myself. For me personally even with graduate degrees and an MBA from UNC/IU and even being financially well off your aware of it 24/7. It’s not always right at ya like a KKK member out to get you but it’s constantly there. There really is no right or wrong, it’s just always there and something I always have to be aware of. When people here say “watch it be about race” I kind of roll my eyes a bit because I just don’t think people get it. As a minority, I always have to think about my surroundings and how to converse with people. It’s “watch it be about race” because as a minority your taught to always know your surroundings and to think about how to engage with people.  As a minority, I have to ask myself the way Gard grabbed Howard, would have he done that to Izzo or Painter? It’s not fair to maybe ask that question but because we live in that world we constantly have to ask that question. Just my point of view and I’m closed on this particular topic.     

I completely get that but it shouldn't even come to the point we're questioning whether he would do that to another coach. It's a matter if his actions are right or wrong. Period. If he would have done it to Izzo or Painter that doesn't make it right. It's that simple. He crossed a line and should be punished. Howard crossed the line even further and should receive a harsher punishment.

In what situation, was Gard's actions appropriate? No, not even close. Howard mouthed off and was walking past him. Gard felt he could physically stop him and then play the victim card. Several years ago that action (physically grabbing a player and getting in front of him to stop him) might have been appropriate towards your players. I'm not sure that is acceptable anymore. I can't think of a scenario I would do that to someone. I don't think there is a scenario where if someone did that to me I wouldn't create separation between them and me. (Past actions)

23 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

And the Big 1.o celebrates it on the BTN The Journey. They could correct it to protect other players in the conference but they encourage it.

My 2 cents. Our season is so bad the most interesting thing on our board is a fight between two teams we hate and never seem to win against. Howard was definitely in the wrong I mean Bob knight lost his cool all the time and didn't do anything that ridiculous lol

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk