Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Wait what?  Howard said what he said in passing.  It was a classic blow by and you can’t physically grab someone the way Gard did in today’s world.  Nope. Can’t happen. Gard instigated everything that took place by grabbing at Howard.  Let him blow by and that’s the end of it but he chose to put his hands on the man.  

Being in the wrong and talking **** as you walk past someone is the instigation. Can’t do that

you dont get to hit and run

The league, and the nation, hell the world for that matters, is way too sanitized. 

Not trying to say violence isn't bad or solves things. What I am saying is that people are both good and bad, and both.... and life overall is grey and always will be despite what utopian ideas you might by in to. 

Human nature.... flaws. And punches lol.... 

48 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Being in the wrong and talking **** as you walk past someone is the instigation. Can’t do that

you dont get to hit and run

Howard never broke stride.  Didn’t even look at him.  Think what you want about the blow by but everything changes when Gard stopped him in his tracks and put his hands on him.

8 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Howard never broke stride.  Didn’t even look at him.  Think what you want about the blow by but everything changes when Gard stopped him in his tracks and put his hands on him.

It started well before that as has been pointed out. Him swearing at Gard was an escalation no? So your walking out of class and someone swears at you and keeps walking, do you not ask “wtf was that about’”

words matter

and speaking of words matter, he and his big mouth have now led to 3 altercations with opposing coaches and schools in the last year. There is a pattern there.

8 hours ago, Southside said:

The league, and the nation, hell the world for that matters, is way too sanitized. 

Not trying to say violence isn't bad or solves things. What I am saying is that people are both good and bad, and both.... and life overall is grey and always will be despite what utopian ideas you might by in to. 

Human nature.... flaws. And punches lol.... 

Funny how many people sing that tune until they’re the one that gets punched.  Then the song always changes.

First off it was a bush-league timeout by Gard. Your up 15 who cares if they're pressing, their not going to score 15 in 15 seconds. Teach the walk-ons how to break the press in the next 5 minutes of practice.

Howard was going to blow by Gard, He said I'll remember that next year (so what), but then Gard puts his hands-on Howard. Howard clearly says twice Don't touch me. 1 game suspension for Gard right there. 

Howard IMO should get a 3-5 game suspension for doing his part. Wisconsin assistants 1 game for their roles, maybe 2 for the one who his hands-on Michigan players to escalate all of this. 

First off it was a bush-league timeout by Gard. Your up 15 who cares if they're pressing, their not going to score 15 in 15 seconds. Teach the walk-ons how to break the press in the next 5 minutes of practice.
Howard was going to blow by Gard, He said I'll remember that next year (so what), but then Gard puts his hands-on Howard. Howard clearly says twice Don't touch me. 1 game suspension for Gard right there. 
Howard IMO should get a 3-5 game suspension for doing his part. Wisconsin assistants 1 game for their roles, maybe 2 for the one who his hands-on Michigan players to escalate all of this. 
What is sad to me is most people's thoughts are to automatically fire Howard and not say anything about Gard. It's so typical of society these days. The big black coach is mean and has anger issues. The white coach was kind and wanted to talk to the other coach. 
Had Howard stopped when it was broken up with Gard no one would be calling for him to be fired. He didn't...so people are saying it's a pattern with him and he should be fired. I haven't seen anyone bring up the race narrative you just mentioned. Why make it about race when it's not?

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, mbredenk101 said:

Had Howard stopped when it was broken up with Gard no one would be calling for him to be fired. He didn't...so people are saying it's a pattern with him and he should be fired. I haven't seen anyone bring up the race narrative you just mentioned. Why make it about race when it's not?

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Because if roles were reversed no one would be saying anything about Gard. It's always about race. Black people have been treated differently in this country for the last 200 years.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

What is sad to me is most people's thoughts are to automatically fire Howard and not say anything about Gard. It's so typical of society these days. The big black coach is mean and has anger issues. The white coach was kind and wanted to talk to the other coach. 

Honestly, if there is an angle of a UW Coach putting his hands on an opposing player...I'm not sure a 1-2 game suspension is enough. You cannot touch or hit other people, especially not a student athlete from an opposing school. I don't care about the circumstance. 

Being overlooked in all of this also is the players who threw punches. Both teams going to be without some guys for several games likely. Critical seeding and tournament implications. 

If the Big Ten wants to send a message, they would hit each teams coaches and players with some meaningful suspensions. Interested to see what happens. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is not about race though.  If Gard did the "strike" it would be reversed.  I think people are debating Gard's role in all of this.  He's not 100% innocent at all.  He did grab his elbow and stop him.  I'm not sure how to score that violation.  If no "strikes" were thrown, the reaction would be significantly less.

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

Honestly, if there is an angle of a UW Coach putting his hands on an opposing player...I'm not sure a 1-2 game suspension is enough. You cannot touch or hit other people, especially not a student athlete from an opposing school. I don't care about the circumstance. 

Being overlooked in all of this also is the players who threw punches. Both teams going to be without some guys for quite some time. Critical seeding and tournament implications. 

If the Big Ten wants to send a message, they would hit each teams coaches and players with some meaningful suspensions. Interested to see what happens. 

Also, do away with the handshake lines. This isn't youth sports. It's a highly competitive game and emotions run high, no reason for shaking hands

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This is not about race though.  If Gard did the "strike" it would be reversed.  I think people are debating Gard's role in all of this.  He's not 100% innocent at all.  He did grab his elbow and stop him.  I'm not sure how to score that violation.  If no "strikes" were thrown, the reaction would be significantly less.

Agree to disagree. I've live it and see it every day 

14 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Funny how many people sing that tune until they’re the one that gets punched.  Then the song always changes.

I got sucker-punched by a Colorado state football player, (there were 3 of them and me) I went back to work and finished my shift, then got my 9 stitches. My tune didn't change and no one was told who it was who punched me or that there was an incident.

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Because if roles were reversed no one would be saying anything about Gard. It's always about race. Black people have been treated differently in this country for the last 200 years.

I’m the first one to stand up against racial injustice, but you’re wrong on this one.  Further, making something about race when it isn’t diminishes the work that I and others do on real racial issues.  People refuse to listen to the important issues when you falsely make something like this about race.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If Gard threw the punch, I think people would feel the same way about a punishment, and they would most certainly say something.