Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Poor Eric Curry on Minny cannot stay healthy.

Just messed up his ankle badly.

Minnesota hanging tough

I just watched the last few minutes and wondered what happened.  Saw in the handshake line that he was limping and leaning on someone but that he had put up some pretty good numbers in the boxscore.

Minnesota definitely has better players than Curry, but he's one that really can't afford to have gone for any time.  While the Gophers have been much better than expected, they are the thinnest team depth wise in the Big Ten.  They've been playing their other four straters 36+, 36+, 34+, and 33+ minutes per game and then playing Curry 28 minutes and his backup Charlie Daniels 11 minutes.  The only other guy in their rotation subs in and one of the other four starters comes out, so he picks up the 19 minutes or so that they are out.  But that's it -- 7 man rotation.  No one else has played more than 31 minutes all season.  If Curry's out, Daniels is their only player over 6'7", and Daniels is a trasnfer from Stephen F. Austin where he was wasn't even good enough to start.

So MSU is down a point to Minnesota at about the same juncture we were the other day. 

I wonder how many MSU fans are complaining about effort and consistency right now. 

I think when you are 5-0 in conference fans don’t tend to panic. If your team competes for BT titles every year fans don’t tend to get to worried during a close game. If you have a coach that has been to 8 Final Fours you have fans that can comfortably trust the process.

When you have our history and have seen 3 coaches fail then we are probably going to have a hard time not over reacting to success and to failure. Hopefully Woody builds a program that has the level of success of MSU or better.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

49 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Watching a Memphis game is a trip.   They will overwhelm for periods with talent.  They will turn it over faster then i post updates in this thread.  They are so undisciplined they will let every team to stay in it but talented enough to make things interesting. Lol.   They were down 19 cut to 9 then went back down 17 and are currently down 11.   Wild 

Use to hear things like "Coach X has forgotten more about basketball than Coach Y knows."  I'm beginning to think Penny Hardaway has forgotten more about basketball than Penny Hardaway knows.

And know what definitely won't get it done?  6 of 18 from the line.

3 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I think when you are 5-0 in conference fans don’t tend to panic. If your team competes for BT titles every year fans don’t tend to get to worried during a close game. If you have a coach that has been to 8 Final Fours you have fans that can comfortably trust the process.

When you have our history and have seen 3 coaches fail then we are probably going to have a hard time not over reacting to success and to failure. Hopefully Woody builds a program that has the level of success of MSU or better.

True.  That said, I would say that with all the success he's had there, I'm scratching my head thinking it's been 22 years since he won the national title and he's been to the final four 6 times since then without winning one.

True.  That said, I would say that with all the success he's had there, I'm scratching my head thinking it's been 22 years since he won the national title and he's been to the final four 6 times since then without winning one.

Fair points but while winning the championship is the goal I would be giddy if my coach got us to that many final fours. Now if he never won a championship that could hurt his legacy but his body of work is the reason why their fans won’t worry much about a mid season slump because he just has them ready come tournament time.

9 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

MSU first 5 conference games were Minny x2, PSU, NW, and Neb. What a joke! Then, they are playing NW at home so they’ll be 6-0 and won’t even get to break a sweat.

Yes, I know they were supposed to play mich Saturday but still.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Even if you added the Michigan game that is a weak B1G schedule to start out.   I’m guessing that that is the weakest B1G schedule for any team 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Fair points but while winning the championship is the goal I would be giddy if my coach got us to that many final fours. Now if he never won a championship that could hurt his legacy but his body of work is the reason why their fans won’t worry much about a mid season slump because he just has them ready come tournament time.

You would be surprised or maybe not on how they would react.   Just like with any fan base even hall of fame coaches get drilled.   Their premium board was calling for his head after they lost in a tournament game where Jaren Jackson played less minutes then one of their other big guys and last year starting the B1G 4-9 was a site to see over there.  Basically all fan sites are alike in a way 

MSU has had some bad luck with hard conference schedules in the past. Maybe they were due to finally get an easier one. 

ESPN apparently thinks their game with Minnesota ended in a tie. The standings show MSU at 4-0-1 and Minnesota at 1-3-1. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

I rewound and watched it.  I don't think Hoggard traveled, but the pass leading up to that -- from Christie to Hoggard -- Christie reaaalllllyyyy dragged his pivot.

Maybe that was what I was thinking of.