Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I don't recall hearing about this. Sad to see this happens at the college level. I did see it happen at the HS level in a 2019 Holiday Tournament. A team about 30 minutes from me lost a game in OT because the head scorebook didn't mark a FT down in regulation for the school which would have won it for them. Both Team bookkeepers had the FT marked, but the Head bookkeeper didn't see it happen, so she refused to change it. Even the scoreboard operator had put the point on the board, but the Ih head keeper, told him to take it off because she didn't have the point down.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I don't recall hearing about this. Sad to see this happens at the college level. I did see it happen at the HS level in a 2019 Holiday Tournament. A team about 30 minutes from me lost a game in OT because the head scorebook didn't mark a FT down in regulation for the school which would have won it for them. Both Team bookkeepers had the FT marked, but the Head bookkeeper didn't see it happen, so she refused to change it. Even the scoreboard operator had put the point on the board, but the Ih head keeper, told him to take it off because she didn't have the point down.

I keep the book for the school I teach at.....you have to rely on people around you if you miss something and especially communicate with the refs when there is a question.  The number of times a ref gets a number incorrect on a foul would amaze you -- when you see something egregious like that, you simple ask the ref for the number again and they typically will look to check the player's number because the chances are they know who committed the foul and simply got the number wrong.

A scorekeeper refusing to put a free throw in the book because they 'didn't see it'?  Ugh.  At the moment of descrepancy,  you simply call the refs over on the next dead ball.  We are there to record, not decide.

7 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

FWIW, I had heard about this story.  Cal scorekeeper and the scoreboard operator both missed a free throw;  Southern Utah (I believe) bench and bookkeeper brought it to their attention.  Cal did not bring it to the official's attention in a timely manner and by the time it was brought up the officials simply did not remember if the free throw was made.  Game went into overtime and Southern Utah lost.

BTW, another strange case -- don't recall the teams but this was just a couple of years ago at the D1 level:  visiting team made a free throw to take a one point lead with around 30 seconds left.  Time out taken and the scorers keeping the book recording the free throw but the scoreboard operator did not.  After the time out, the second free throw was missed.  Home team takes and misses a shot with about 8 seconds left, visitors rebound....home team doesn't foul mistakenly thinking the game is time.  Visiting team knows they are up one and dribble out the clock.  The announcers and fans didn't realize what had happened.

I keep the book for the school I teach at.....you have to rely on people around you if you miss something and especially communicate with the refs when there is a question.  The number of times a ref gets a number incorrect on a foul would amaze you -- when you see something egregious like that, you simple ask the ref for the number again and they typically will look to check the player's number because the chances are they know who committed the foul and simply got the number wrong.
A scorekeeper refusing to put a free throw in the book because they 'didn't see it'?  Ugh.  At the moment of descrepancy,  you simply call the refs over on the next dead ball.  We are there to record, not decide.
I see it also a lot. I keep the book also. I am constantly talking to the other people at the table to make sure we are on the same page