Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Not possible...it takes 4 years!  lol

Transfers being immediately eligible is a game changer for teams that usually need time to get better.    UNC was terrible last year and they bring in 2 starters from different power 5 conferences.   Different times ahead.   Should be interesting 

19 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Transfers being immediately eligible is a game changer for teams that usually need time to get better.    UNC was terrible last year and they bring in 2 starters from different power 5 conferences.   Different times ahead.   Should be interesting 

Definitely.  Although I quoted you, I didn't mean it as a shot to you.  Just all those basketball savants who said it takes 4 years to build a competitive team.

I hate UNC.  I hope they're terrible although I doubt they will be

34 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Texas is going to be a monster in college basketball with beard.     Marcus Carr commits to Texas and 2 min later 2022 5 Star kid commits as well 

So, we should have paid ‘Brad Stevens’ money to Chris Beard?  

Got himself a Top 5 in country starting lineup from the transfer portal.  Lol

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, we should have paid ‘Brad Stevens’ money to Chris Beard?  

Got himself a Top 5 in country starting lineup from the transfer portal.  Lol

In my opinion IU could of offered him more then Stevens money and as long as the Texas job was open or an option Beard wouldn’t take it or he would accept and jet the minute the Texas job was open.    Texas guy coaching at Texas.  Perfect fit for all parties 

In my opinion IU could of offered him more then Stevens money and as long as the Texas job was open or an option Beard wouldn’t take it or he would accept and jet the minute the Texas job was open.    Texas guy coaching at Texas.  Perfect fit for all parties 

Yeah, I know that’s true. Just shocking (to me) the amount of immediate success he’s having.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, I know that’s true. Just shocking (to me) the amount of immediate success he’s having.

For sure, Beard on paper has killed it on the transfer market at Texas early.   The transfer market seems to be his strongpoint because at Texas Tech that’s how he built his teams.   This 2022 kid his his first major high school kid recruit.    With the right coach Texas was always a school that I thought could be a major basketball power.    Early returns show that they have a chance to become that.  Just has to show it on the court 

13 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

For sure, Beard on paper has killed it on the transfer market at Texas early.   The transfer market seems to be his strongpoint because at Texas Tech that’s how he built his teams.   This 2022 kid his his first major high school kid recruit.    With the right coach Texas was always a school that I thought could be a major basketball power.    Early returns show that they have a chance to become that.  Just has to show it on the court 

I agree.  I believe that IU can/will be in that same position, especially regarding recruiting, by showing success on the court.  That's the key...winning.  It might take more than one year, IMHO.

I agree.  I believe that IU can/will be in that same position, especially regarding recruiting, by showing success on the court.  That's the key...winning.  It might take more than one year, IMHO.

Woodson doesn’t have the luxury of time. He’s not a young sprite. He needs to hit big quickly and hold. If it’s another 3-4 year rebuild situation it’s not going to be a Woodson success imo. If he’s the guy, their is zero reason not to build a winner semi-immediately with NIL and open transfer market. Hit it and hit it hard.

24 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Woodson doesn’t have the luxury of time. He’s not a young sprite. He needs to hit big quickly and hold. If it’s another 3-4 year rebuild situation it’s not going to be a Woodson success imo. If he’s the guy, their is zero reason not to build a winner semi-immediately with NIL and open transfer market. Hit it and hit it hard.

Exactly he filled our glaring holes already we should be a ranked and tourney team.  After a year he should see who isn’t going to cut it and be able to attract the talent to go to the next level.  If going into year 2 we are wondering if we are going to be ranked we are going to have problems 

53 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Never said it was a rebuild.  I was simply responding to what Texas/Beard has done per USPSHoosier in the recruiting area.  Woodson has been fine, but some folks are nervous that recruits like Taylor, Filipowski and others aren't jumping at IU offers.  I think once IU begins winning those recruits will consider us more seriously.  And yes, I think getting that kind of serious consideration from recruits might take more than one winning season.  JMHO....and I think Coach Woodson has plenty of time to achieve this.

Edited by rayl456

Never said it was a rebuild.  I was simply responding to what Texas/Beard has done per USPSHoosier in the recruiting area.  Woodson has been fine, but some folks are nervous that recruits like Taylor, Filipowski and others aren't jumping at IU offers.  I think once IU begins winning those recruits will consider us more seriously.  And yes, I think getting that kind of serious consideration from recruits might take more than one winning season.  JMHO....and I think Coach Woodson has plenty of time to achieve this.

Understand. But differ in opinion on his timeline. I think he needs to capitalize on his selling points now (NBA know-how and connections) to build a winner vs the standard college success building blocks. Granted, he needs success but he needs to be able to sell above having players wait to see his success. So far so good. Tamar Bates was a great addition.

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Understand. But differ in opinion on his timeline. I think he needs to capitalize on his selling points now (NBA know-how and connections) to build a winner vs the standard college success building blocks. Granted, he needs success but he needs to be able to sell above having players wait to see his success. So far so good. Tamar Bates was a great addition.

Just curious... What does Coach Woodson have to accomplish in order to be successful in your eyes and how quickly?  Or am I missing your point and you just feel he need to do a better job selling himself, the program and IU?

Just curious... What does Coach Woodson have to accomplish in order to be successful in your eyes and how quickly?  Or am I missing your point and you just feel he need to do a better job selling himself, the program and IU?

I want Indiana to be a consensus top 10 program. High expectations, I realize.

I worry, Woodson isn’t young and doesn’t have the benefit of time on his side. He needs to strike while the iron is hot because this is a 6 year marriage. He is 63 or 64? He has a lot to sell right now. But, An underwhelming season or 2 will sink him and sink him fast.

So my expectations? Top 25 at end of season. Top 10-15 recruiting class would make me feel good.

I want Indiana to be a consensus top 10 program. High expectations, I realize.

I worry, Woodson isn’t young and doesn’t have the benefit of time on his side. He needs to strike while the iron is hot because this is a 6 year marriage. He is 63 or 64? He has a lot to sell right now. But, An underwhelming season or 2 will sink him and sink him fast.

So my expectations? Top 25 at end of season. Top 10-15 recruiting class would make me feel good.

I agree with this expectation completely and get so frustrated with national idiots who claim we expect national titles right away.

Given the talent on the roster a top 25 team by the end of season is hardly a stretch.

Top 25 at the end of the season is very doable IMO.

I think the roster is good enough, and I feel very confident that Woodson's scheme/coaching will be better than CAM.

We just need to keep rolling on the recruiting trail.

We need some NIL dolla dolla billz yo...