Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

44 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I kind of agree with Davison in that article.  The locker room is sanctuary.  It's too bad the whole team meeting was recorded and even worse someone released it to the press. 

I hate Wisconsin, can’t stand that program or its fans — but gotta agree, the locker room is off limits, that’s the team’s place and all locker room talk should stay there (barring illegality or something like that)

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I hate Wisconsin, can’t stand that program or its fans — but gotta agree, the locker room is off limits, that’s the team’s place and all locker room talk should stay there (barring illegality or something like that)

True, but just think of how much someone must dislike Gard for this to have been leaked. 

While the whole situation is a train wreck from so many angles, it leaves little doubt that Gard has some real foundational issues as an effective leader.

Good news? We play them twice this coming season!   :)

Makes you wonder who in the room had a bone to pick with Gard and decided to leak the conversation to the media. Player comments like that speaks volumes on the kind of culture that UW basketball has with their players. 

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

True, but just think of how much someone must dislike Gard for this to have been leaked. 

While the whole situation is a train wreck from so many angles, it leaves little doubt that Gard has some real foundational issues as an effective leader.

Good news? We play them twice this coming season!   :)

Idk even good leaders can lose a group.  And it sounds like he took ownership. Taking ownership is the key.  Something I honestly can’t remember Archie doing once the wheels started coming off. 

I will even admit for about 4 months at the start of the year I was a pretty lackluster leader at work.  Had some personal stuff going on that affected me. Turned it around though. And I think my team would agree

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Idk even good leaders can lose a group.  And it sounds like he took ownership. Taking ownership is the key.  Something I honestly can’t remember Archie doing once the wheels started coming off. 

I will even admit for about 4 months at the start of the year I was a pretty lackluster leader at work.  Had some personal stuff going on that affected me. Turned it around though. And I think my team would agree

True, but Gard had the exact same problems two years ago. 

Seems like his issues as a leader last year were not a 'situation', they have been a pattern.

22 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Bummer for UW.  No better way to describe it.  It doesn't make anybody look good.  As someone else mentioned, I'm absolutely certain our locker room sounded like that or worse, re:Archie.  So glad we moved on.  

It's more accurate to say that it makes everyone look bad I think. I'm far from a Gard fan and went into it biased against him but after listening to part of the recorded conversation my main thoughts were:

1. Recording then leaking the conversation was pure chicken excrement. 

2. I wouldn't want any of the players I listened to (again, I didn't listen to all of them) being involved in a program I was a fan of or in my employ. 

3. Gard sounds about as I would expect him to behind the scenes based on the players' comments. I won't go so far as to say his days are numbered but he probably better get real serious about winning a lot of games real soon. 

NC State just got booted from the CWS for positive tests brought on by a lack of vaccinated players. Sounds like they got a bit screwed with this, but hopefully it serves a lesson for other teams, including ours, as they gear up for “normal” fall and winter seasons.

12 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

29DB9D22-EF47-429C-85C4-65507E6D2F1A.png

Kind of funny.  The past ten years have been our darkest in a half century, and yet our record is almost the same as our rival who collectively crow about their recent dominance over us.  Now we need to get back to the top in the next 10 years.

The other day I recorded 4 Indiana classic games. 3 of them were against Purdue. I'm watching the 1988 Purdue at IU game and there is a starter I completely forgot about. His name was Magnus Pekowski. If I remember correctly he transfered after the season.

On another note, I would have loved to see the BtownBanners game thread for this game. There would be a lot of B******* after IU blew an 18 point lead. I think Purdue was ranked in the top 5 coming into the game.

Edit- Dean Garrett had a monster game and hit the winning basket with 4 seconds left.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 6/22/2021 at 3:11 PM, Hardwood83 said:

I'm all for discord and chaos in any other B1G program (especially Wisconsin!) but it's pretty chicken$hit to release all the audio of the complaints but not the coaches response. Whatever the case, let's hope UW B-ball AND Football start circling the drain.  

You got that right. I always hate narratives that are based on one side of the story. I have no love for Wisconsin, but one sided stories are the opposite of journalistic responsibility.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

The other day I recorded 4 Indiana classic games. 3 of them were against Purdue. I'm watching the 1988 Purdue at IU game and there is a starter I completely forgot about. His name was Magnus Pekowski. If I remember correctly he transfered after the season.

On another note, I would have loved to see the BtownBanners game thread for this game. There would be a lot of B******* after IU blew an 18 point lead. I think Purdue was ranked in the top 5 coming into the game.

Edit- Dean Garrett had a monster game and hit the winning basket with 4 seconds left.

Off the top of my head, I believe Pelkowski was an artist, and at one point (or maybe still) had artwork in Assembly Hall

7 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Off the top of my head, I believe Pelkowski was an artist, and at one point (or maybe still) had artwork in Assembly Hall

He wasn’t all that much of a ball player.

The first five minutes of that game against Purdue was the single best in-game stretch of his IU time. It ended when he picked up his third foul in the game’s first quarter.

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I thought Magnus graduated.

fun fact: Pelkowski is thought to be the 1st German citizen with an NCAA title.