Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Oh yeah. Perfect hire. This is the match IU and Alford would have been if Alford wasn’t …….Alford  Woodson.

Fixed it for you. 

Seriously though, it kind of feels like there is about to be a sea change in college basketball with Williams and K retiring, Boeheim and Izzo getting close, and now Calipari talking about bolting back to the NBA. It couldn't be much better timing for Beard at Texas and hopefully Woodson here. 

17 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Feeling the heat from the NCAA? 
Feeling the heat from the fans? 
Realizing his opportunities for another crack at this might be running out? 

Boston might be looking for someone that's already a Masshole, he would fit right in. Please make it so.

Supreme Court unanimous decision isn't limited solely to basketball.  

...the NCAA itself can’t bar schools from sweetening their offers to Division I basketball and football players with additional education-related benefits. But individual athletic conferences can still set limits if they choose. A lawyer for the former athletes had said before the ruling that he believed that if his clients won, “very many schools” would ultimately offer additional benefits.

This quote is from the actual court ruling:  "NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels.  But the labels cannot disguise the reality:  The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-supreme-court-alston-college-athlete-benefits-5be12caeaf014da7d71baf0bb60646fe?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25&fbclid=IwAR0QZeIgTicAXHdtAR00gQczpw8JPqC3L_7TStqC5EXWgTEUuOmenb6iuSQ

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Supreme Court unanimous decision isn't limited solely to basketball.  

...the NCAA itself can’t bar schools from sweetening their offers to Division I basketball and football players with additional education-related benefits. But individual athletic conferences can still set limits if they choose. A lawyer for the former athletes had said before the ruling that he believed that if his clients won, “very many schools” would ultimately offer additional benefits.

This quote is from the actual court ruling:  "NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels.  But the labels cannot disguise the reality:  The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."

https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-supreme-court-alston-college-athlete-benefits-5be12caeaf014da7d71baf0bb60646fe?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25&fbclid=IwAR0QZeIgTicAXHdtAR00gQczpw8JPqC3L_7TStqC5EXWgTEUuOmenb6iuSQ

I'm shocked at the 9-0 ruling that is a rarity but good thing they called bullcrap on the NCAA.

Crazy article about Wisconsin basketball today from the Wisconsin State Journal. Players secretly recorded a meeting with Coach Greg Gard and released the recording. Lots of disfunction in BuckyLand.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/wisconsin-men-s-basketball-seniors-confronted-greg-gard-in-secretly-recorded-meeting-here-s-what/article_bf1afb44-c2fe-5983-86fb-4c107e776e15.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

3 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Crazy article about Wisconsin basketball today from the Wisconsin State Journal. Players secretly recorded a meeting with Coach Greg Gard and released the recording. Lots of disfunction in BuckyLand.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/college/basketball/men/wisconsin-men-s-basketball-seniors-confronted-greg-gard-in-secretly-recorded-meeting-here-s-what/article_bf1afb44-c2fe-5983-86fb-4c107e776e15.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Was about to post that, crazy stuff 

36 minutes ago, Its Always Sunny at IU said:

Whoa!

Gard’s days at UW are numbered 

Can't read it without registering. What is the gist of it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Every single player hates Gard.

Not in a Bobby Knight “he’s really harsh but I’d run through a wall for him” way.

More of a “You don’t care about your players and I wish I hadn’t committed here” way. Also they hate him in a “after Kobe King left you said you’d change but you didn’t “ way.

I was able to read the article -- and this quote from the not-so-secret meeting struck me ... 

Later on, there's also quote from Travis Trice talking to Gard about how the players felt a disconnect with him. 

I almost feel like this could've been recorded in the SSAH locker room or the Cook Hall locker room over the past couple of years! 

“I just feel like, coach, we don’t have a relationship,” said Nate Reuvers, a four-year starter. “In my mind, it’s too late for that. I personally don’t think or feel like you care about our future aspirations.

I can’t talk to you. I just don’t want to talk to you. After this, coach, I don’t know what type of relationship we’re going to have, if we have one.”

18 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

You can since I did. Just close that window telling you you need to register and you can still read it.

Every single player hates Gard.
Not in a Bobby Knight “he’s really harsh but I’d run through a wall for him” way.
More of a “You don’t care about your players and I wish I hadn’t committed here” way. Also they hate him in a “after Kobe King left you said you’d change but you didn’t “ way.

Thanks

I'm all for discord and chaos in any other B1G program (especially Wisconsin!) but it's pretty chicken$hit to release all the audio of the complaints but not the coaches response. Whatever the case, let's hope UW B-ball AND Football start circling the drain.