Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can you imagine being a 5*, out of state recruit on a visit to Indiana and you and your parents are sitting in an office reviewing film and talking about your future with Mike Woodson, Thad Matta and Armond Hill? 

I don't mean to not include in-state players, but those guys already have a tie to IU and being interested, this is the first time since probably Bob Knight that IU will have a draw to out of state high-level talent beyond just tradition, fanbase or some direct link an assistant had to the player. 

That doesn't mean we out-recruit UK or something, but I think IU finally has a staff that not only stacks up to anyone, but is also blazing a unique new strategy that others will be trying to mimic. 

For a kid like Banks or Clowney it’s gotta be extraordinary— they already have the close personal connection to Yas, and then when they visit they see that Yas’s peers are hyper-successful NBA stalwarts.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Holy crap … this is kinda huge! Kinda REALLY REALLY REALLY HUGE!!!!

The man was Ivy League player of the year with a degree from Princeton, had an 8 yr NBA career, was a D1 head coach, and for 15 years and recently, an NBA Assistant coach on a playoff and championship team.

If NBA player development is a goal, we may have the single best staff in the nation.

And it’s primarily because they all love being led by Mike Woodson.

I like adding staff with nba connections and all, but Stu nobody can pump like you can.  How HUGE is this?  Lol

It feels so good with Archie gone

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Can you imagine being a 5*, out of state recruit on a visit to Indiana and you and your parents are sitting in an office reviewing film and talking about your future with Mike Woodson, Thad Matta and Armond Hill? 

I don't mean to not include in-state players, but those guys already have a tie to IU and being interested, this is the first time since probably Bob Knight that IU will have a draw to out of state high-level talent beyond just tradition, fanbase or some direct link an assistant had to the player. 

That doesn't mean we out-recruit UK or something, but I think IU finally has a staff that not only stacks up to anyone, but is also blazing a unique new strategy that others will be trying to mimic. 

Good stuff Gleas, and especially considering the NBA coaching and development sitting in that office with the recruit and parents .... There aren’t many (I mean seriously) programs that have close to the NBA pedigree and coaching right there on staff, and then throw in Matta and Fife?? We’re in really good shape right away 

4 hours ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

I’ll throw this in here

Much like Matta, it will be interesting to see what responsibilities Hill will have.

I agree it's a very nice add. At minimum, seems the university is going all in as much as possible on both coaching and the admin surrounding the team. 

And I think we now know a little more why someone in Boston didn't bite on what was rumored to be a very lucrative offer (given his step up). 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Josh said:

I like adding staff with nba connections and all, but Stu nobody can pump like you can.  How HUGE is this?  Lol

It feels so good with Archie gone

I only pump sunshine when I think it’s true.

When I’m quiet (which isn’t all that often lol) that  often means I think it’s a shite sandwich.

Besides, BGleas is pumping just as hard and he knows the guy!

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

For all the stupidity that has occurred in the last 20 years, IU still has nearly 100 more weeks ranked than any other team in the Big Ten. 

That's like 4 or 5 full seasons. Pretty impressive considering the last couple of decades.

It kind of surprises me to see Illinois that high.

3 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

wait, I thought according to Woj no coach would ever consider coaching in college when the NBA is an option? 

Man, the thing with Howard, if he goes on a good long run, maybe hangs a banner while he’s at it, given his stature already within that program’s history, that guy has a chance to be 1 of the all-time beloved guys at any school, ever. Not just idolized, beloved. And that’s fine by me. I love the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

Man, the thing with Howard, if he goes on a good long run, maybe hangs a banner while he’s at it, given his stature already within that program’s history, that guy has a chance to be 1 of the all-time beloved guys at any school, ever. Not just idolized, beloved. And that’s fine by me. I love the guy. 

A friend of my enemy is an enemy of mine.

I hope he leaves or crashes and burns.  But I'm a petty man

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

My guess will be he will head to the nba after he coaches both his kids.  One is already there and the other is a top 50 kid in 2022 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

My guess will be he will head to the nba after he coaches both his kids.  One is already there and the other is a top 50 kid in 2022 

I’m 100% confident you’re right. But I hope not. I think he’d have a chance to be one of the next generation of faces of the game type college coaches. Just not a lot of guys of an age and at a program that really lend themselves to that sort of stature. Even in today’s media environment. Oats? Maybe Cronin? Even Few and Wright and Muss are pushing 60. Izzo, Cal, obviously Boeheim, have to be following Roy and K out the door soon enough. Self’s already 1 of those guys. He’s got, what, maybe 10-12 more years. Will be interesting to see who grows into shoes that big. 

OK, so I'm biased -- and I think SSAH is the best place in the B1G. 

But the more I see from Katz, the more I begin to wonder exactly how much he knows about the conference. This is a guy who rated Northwestern and Minnesota ahead of IU in the BIG's most scenic campuses. Hell, he had us fifth -- that's insane!

This isn't the first time he's blown his nut about Mackey. I just don't get it.