Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

9 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

Now if Hunter Dickinson and Trevion Williams both stay in, that opens some doors of possibility.

Thought I saw last night that Dickinson is staying in.

Edit: Nevermind! "Michigan freshman center Hunter Dickinson has entered the NBA draft while giving himself the option of staying in school."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31516451/michigan-men-basketball-center-hunter-dickinson-enters-nba-draft-freshman-retain-option-staying-wolverines

4 minutes ago, iubb said:

Well, I guess he wont be going to ANY college now

How long will this last, 1-2 years? It is almost unbelievable that a young and successful coach like Stevens would move to the front office when he's only 44.

Brad Stevens is already extremely wealthy. Like--future generations will be wealthy, wealthy. He has a young-ish family. By doing this he can assure one of his ultimate goals--family stability in an metro area they want to remain in.

It isn't always about the money! Especially when you have a lot of it. Players turn down higher salary deals to play where they want to play all the time. It shouldn't be hard to understand when Brad Stevens does so too. 

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Brad Stevens is already extremely wealthy. Like--future generations will be wealthy, wealthy. He has a young-ish family. By doing this he can assure one of his ultimate goals--family stability in an metro area they want to remain in.

It isn't always about the money! Especially when you have a lot of it. Players turn down higher salary deals to play where they want to play all the time. It shouldn't be hard to understand when Brad Stevens does so too. 

People seem to forget that BS graduated from DePauw with a degree in Economics...a three time Academic All-American candidate... worked for Eli Lilly before going to Butler to get into coaching.  I can imagine that he always wanted to end up in the business side of the NBA...or that it became obvious to him that was more interesting than the coaching grind.

48 minutes ago, akumanina said:

Isn't he making too much money for that role? I don't know how much a front office guy usually makes, but probably they earn less than coaches. 

Hire a coach on a cheaper salary and it’ll balance out. 

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told @stadium. Official announcement expected soon. The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

Not looking forward to the media salivating over him and his legacy all season long during broadcasts.  Dickie V is going to need a mute button haha

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told @stadium. Official announcement expected soon. The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

I'm having a drink tonight.

36 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And then there's this guy.  I guess there are a few different ways about things

So, excuse me while I put on my tin foil hat...but I think this confirms that Stevens was reallllllyyyyyyy close to coaching IU.  I believe his wife let him know the constant traveling of the NBA had to stop, and if he was going to continue coaching, it was going to be near her family in Indiana.  I think Stevens accepted the IU position, and then, was informed Ainge would be stepping down and the position was his.  I can't blame him for taking it.  I agree with @rayl456   He's got an Econ background and probably wants to try his hand on the executive side for a bit.  

Of course, Coach K announcing his retirement after next year is interesting....and I hope that Stevens never sets foot on Duke's campus except as IU's new head coach, a decade from now, to continue Woodson's astounding legacy of delivering 5 championships in 10 years.  

So good luck to Duke recruiting players this year when their coach won’t be there when they step onto campus. Even if they name the coach in waiting now, I don’t see that making a big difference. Hopefully we can take advantage kd that.