Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Oh.  So Thad can't coach for us and isn't in charge of recruiting...what does he do?

I’m guessing he is in charge of that stuff just isn’t going have that title.   I’m sure he is in all the meetings on recruiting and his input holds weight.   So much that the coaching staff refer to him as coach still.  

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m guessing he is in charge of that stuff just isn’t going have that title.   I’m sure he is in all the meetings on recruiting and his input holds weight.   So much that the coaching staff refer to him as coach still.  

A Director title usually means you're the one in charge.  Not saying you're wrong at all, just that I'm confused.  Thad's not allowed to have any direct coaching, he's not director of recruiting, I'm just confused of what he does I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just for general reference the only people allowed to coach on the court is the head coach and 3 assistants.  No other member of the coaching staff can do any of that regardless of title.   Elston was on a podcast I listen to and he said that was the hardest thing about being on the staff and not being able to do any on court work with the guys.    Said when Joey originally committed he said he couldn’t wait to get on the court with Elston to work.  He said he would of loved to be able to go on the court and instruct but rules don’t allow it.  

I would look at Matta as a GM type person.  Dolson is breaking the mold for college programs it seems.  Really haven’t seen this done before. But when you hear the numbers dolson was willing to spend on Brad why not take some of that money and surround your program with proven winners in the college ranks to help turn around a program that hasn’t had much success lately.   I would be interested in hearing Matta in a interview before the start of next season. 

Right, that's what I get.  I just don't get what he does do.  Sounds like he's just an advisor/consultant

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

Right, that's what I get.  I just don't get what he does do.  Sounds like he's just an advisor/consultant

Sounds about right. Very expensive one at that.   Until he comes out in an interview with the media no one will know for sure what he does everyday

3 hours ago, jumpshot53 said:

I've heard this mentioned before, does he have ties to Duke?  He had ties to Indiana, which made it seem more realistic.  Duke, other than being great under Coach K,  has no special meaning to Stevens,  unless  I've missed something.  I don't know,  I'm clueless on Duke being mentioned..lol

I don't even know of current staff it ends up being unless they do decide to bring back Capel but they could go out of the program plus it'll be interesting to see who their new AD will be.

13 minutes ago, OliviaPope40 said:

I don't even know of current staff it ends up being unless they do decide to bring back Capel but they could go out of the program plus it'll be interesting to see who their new AD will be.

Heard rumor that Celts owner is DuKe alum, maybe even on the Duke board of trustees. Thought was that he played a major role in blocking Steven’s to IU...matching/beating huge salary numbers, with guarantees to keep in Boston in order to hold him back until K retires. Probably pure speculation, but crazier actions have gone down.

2 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Heard rumor that Celts owner is DuKe alum, maybe even on the Duke board of trustees. Thought was that he played a major role in blocking Steven’s to IU...matching/beating huge salary numbers, with guarantees to keep in Boston in order to hold him back until K retires. Probably pure speculation, but crazier actions have gone down.

https://trustees.duke.edu/trustees/stephen-g-pagliuca-t77

4 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

You are correct, the Owner is a Duke Trustee 

4 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

That seems like a pretty convoluted way to get the next Duke coach. I'm not buying it. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Cockburn leaving. Very nice.

Man...there goes some game time bonding experience with my 15 yr old son on proper pronunciation, and how ‘ck’ never really is ‘soft’ in the English langauge. Guess we’ll have to find something new. What a real stinger it will be.

45 minutes ago, OliviaPope40 said:

Be interesting to see who it ends up being not many have head coaching experience.

Yes, I don’t know what his name is, but one of their assistants may takeover after Coach K retires soon. Pretty sure he has been then for a while and played under him in the 2010s

25 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

There is no way that happened.