Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Interesting piece from the Duke student newspaper. I think this kid does a good job of taking a practical look at what might happen when Coach K calls it quits. He wrote this in the wake of the Roy Williams retirement.

He figures Duke will follow a similar path as those hated neighbors 8 miles away and go with the long-time assistant -- Jon Scheyer. He says while everyone would love Jay Wright and/or Brad Stevens -- they're probably not realistic options. 

I happened upon a podcast/youtube video from a national college basketball "expert" on UNC's search before they hired Hubert. He said they should go after Stevens, Few, Oates and Stevens. Well -- yeah. And if I'm looking for a girlfriend, I would want to go after Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Alba or Kate Upton. 

That same dude also opined on IU -- and was pretty far off base. 

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2021/04/hubert-davis-unc-roy-williams-retires-coach-k-replacement-duke-basketball-jon-scheyer?fbclid=IwAR0l175Aw1vt5e37q4X2wz70RgUJBmNgqvQPPBTd16guk-IOq857cWYPjZM

Great story on Bert Smith, the referee who collapsed during the Gonzaga - So. Cal. game in the NCAA tourney.  Turns out he had a blood clot in a lung.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/04/09/ncaa-tournament-referee-bert-smith-collapse-game-saved-life/7148461002/

Sources: The field for the 2021 Charleston Classic has been finalized.
West Virginia
Ole Miss
Clemson
Marquette
St. Bonaventure
Temple
Boise State
Elon
Rothstein 
St Bonaventure should begin year in the top 20 

Rothstein started his own school?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How will Shaka do at Marquette? I say he will be much better off. Big East is kind of a Tweener when it comes to conference status. It used to be a power conference but I wouldn't consider it one now. But I also wouldn't consider it a mid major. I remember on College Hoops 2K8, there were small, mid major, major and power conferences. I think I'd put the Big East as a "major" conference. Maybe all by itself. It's not nearly as strong as the Big 12 was. It's really just Villanova and some teams that were mid to bottom tier Big East teams. I could see Marquette being a Top 3 Big East team under Shaka. 

25 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sources: The field for the 2021 Charleston Classic has been finalized.

West Virginia
Ole Miss
Clemson
Marquette
St. Bonaventure
Temple
Boise State
Elon

Rothstein 

St Bonaventure should begin year in the top 20 

West Virginia is the only team I have in the Top 25 out of all of those. Teams like St. Bonaventure and Belmont have lots to prove. 

38 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

West Virginia is the only team I have in the Top 25 out of all of those. Teams like St. Bonaventure and Belmont have lots to prove. 

I’m not sure who is in your top 25 but St Bonaventure will start the year out in the Ap top 25 

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

A preseason poll with Purdue #1 might be the funniest, biggest hot take of all hot takes that I've ever seen on this board. 

With what they have coming back and coming in.. it is Painters best shot. They *should* be the best team in the Big Ten. They will definitely be a Top 5 team to start the season. Will be interesting if they can handle being the hunted. 

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

A preseason poll with Purdue #1 might be the funniest, biggest hot take of all hot takes that I've ever seen on this board. 

Where did you see this?

Haha GIFs | Tenor

9 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I believe I've been the only person with the balls to put them at #1. But when you have two guys who will be probably Top 5 players in the conference... You can be #1 for the first time in program history. 

I’m sure there is a whole message board full of people that will have them number 1 over at black and gold. 

at the end of the day polls are for the fans and are a good source of fun.  Why not put them 1.   Sure I will put them 1 on my way to early poll as well ( as long as the Zags, and UCLA are disqualified for whatever reason and are not eligible next year at the beginning of the season)

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m sure there is a whole message board full of people that will have them number 1 over at black and gold. 

at the end of the day polls are for the fans and are a good source of fun.  Why not put them 1.   Sure I will put them 1 on my way to early poll as well ( as long as the Zags, and UCLA are disqualified for whatever reason and are not eligible next year at the beginning of the season)

Zags are losing Suggs and Kispert and maybe more. I have zero reason to put UCLA at #1. 

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I believe I've been the only person with the balls to put them at #1. But when you have two guys who will be probably Top 5 players in the conference... You can be #1 for the first time in program history. 

No, it just means you're the only one who thinks a team that was unranked most of this season and looked inferior to North Texas will be the best team in the country in November. 

I’m fine with them carrying a high ranking. The irony of IU finally breaking the head to head drought against them when they are peak Purdoo would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

They can START the season #1 as long as they don't FINISH the season #1.