Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Just now, HoosierFan1994 said:

Purdue and Ohio State will have a good regular season only to get bounced by another North Texas or Oral Roberts..haha in all seriousness they have loads of talent coming back. 

Yes they will be fine. probably top 4 in the BIG just like this year, but idk about top 10. Painter and Holtmann have the BIG figured out, but until they can win out of conference and in the tournament I am not sure they deserve being in the top 10. just my opinion 

I like Purdoo, Michigan, OSU if/when Liddel stays, Indiana, and Maryland in the B1G next year. Not seeing MSU being greatly improved, and if Ayo and Kofi go I don't see Illinois as a conference contender at all.

Indiana as a legitimate conference title contender? Feels good to say that. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I like Purdoo, Michigan, OSU if/when Liddel stays, Indiana, and Maryland in the B1G next year. Not seeing MSU being greatly improved, and if Ayo and Kofi go I don't see Illinois as a conference contender at all.

Last time Indiana had one of the best players in the Big Ten that season went well for them (Yogi's senior year). I have to think they make a run with some key additions. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

This is where I am at. I just don't see the top of the BIG = top of the country like it supposedly was this year. 

6 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

This is where I am at. I just don't see the top of the BIG = top of the country like it supposedly was this year. 

If IU can keep Franklin OR land Xavier Johnson and Keion Brooks, yes this is a legit top 25 team. How far they go depends on how much each player improves. 

If they can keep Franklin and land those two....

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

If IU can keep Franklin OR land Xavier Johnson and Keion Brooks, yes this is a legit top 25 team. How far they go depends on how much each player improves. 

Yup--one out of Armaan or X Johnson, and one out of Race or Keion and we should be good to go.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup--one out of Armaan or X Johnson, and one out of Race or Keion and we should be good to go.

I don't have a preference on the guards. Think I'll take Keion over Race. I really hope the roster settles soon. Need to focus on 2022 and 2023 classes next. 

First, thank you Baylor. No one is ever taking our undefeated season off the record books, lol.

Second, even leaving my crimson glasses off, I think we're going to see a sea change next season. The handcuffs will be off the offense, and absolutely expect Geronimo and Lander to have big time frosh to soph jumps. Both are immensely talented, and think Hunter will have the green light to shoot that he's needed, and TJD is going to dominate. Imo, our team is already at least solid, it's style of play, spreading the floor with the perimeter, and confidence along with expected jumps in players that is going to significantly change (imo) our outcome.

Relaying a quick story on Geronimo, don't think I've relayed it here (if I have, well, not enough coffee yet) --

A friend of mine scouted players out East. He scouted Vic at DeMatha, told me when he picked IU that Vic, then a double-double player including boards as a guard, would turn into a monster player at IU and was a legit NBA prospect. Told me he'd come in a defense-first player, that his offense was still growing, but that he had good form and was exceptionally quick and strong and would take off at IU. Couldn't have been more right. He scouted Geronimo as well, and when he picked IU told me he was better at the same age/stage as Vic. That's really high praise.

Pretty much every college player's future depends on how they develop / grow in college, but G has all the tools and the drive. He needed to learn defensive positioning and the speed of the college game, but we saw him rounding into form when he (finally) was given decent playing time. He has good form already, his 3-point percentage is high on low volume, but he can shoot and would expect that to continue to improve, much like Vic's shooting did (not calling him Vic, but there are real comparisons, along with OG). This kid has real game, the more he plays, the more I think he'll impress. 

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

It will be so fun when Woody kicks @$$ and this clown never tweets at IU fans again. 

Here's the thing: Had we still not named a coach by now, Goodman would tweet that it's obvious we're going after Scott Drew, then he'd say: "Does Indiana really think Scott Drew would leave the national champions for Bloomington??" 

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Last time Indiana had one of the best players in the Big Ten that season went well for them (Yogi's senior year). I have to think they make a run with some key additions. 

It went fairly well the last time we had the best player in the Big Ten as well.. who was also a center(Zeller).

2 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

No surprise. Indiana is going to have to earn every shred of credit the national media may feel like giving them.

Edit: I didn’t realize this was from Katz. I did see Borzello’s last night so I thought it was his. While Katz is a pretty solid B1G homer, the national media has made it a risk for anyone to admit a positive outlook on IU right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I can’t blame the National media. As excited as I am, in regards to what has happened the past week, if I’m in the media I see a team with key personnel that were around for 2 straight 10th place finishes. I think we will improve but can understand why those without our crimson colored glasses aren’t on board yet.  
If we get the guard from Pitt, a legit stretch 3/4 and an improved offense we could really surprise a lot of people.

Just for the hell of it, I found a Minnesota basketball board to see if there was any dope on Race (BTW, I didn't see anything). 

But I found this interesting: Brian Dutcher (who took over at San Diego State after Steve Fisher retired) was very interested in that job. He, his wife and his sisters all went to Minnesota -- and of course, his dad coached there. He said the AD called him early in the tourney and basically said, "I don't want to bother you because I know you're busy, but when you're finished playing, I wondered if you'd be interesting in discussing this job." Dutcher said, "I'd love to." After San Diego State lost, the AD called back and said, "Sorry. We went in a different direction. We've found our guy."

Kinda interesting. Sounds like Dutcher really wanted the job. His buyout was over $6M, but he insisted there be a clause in his contract that if it were Minnesota, it was just $1M. 

22 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Painter losing another assistant coach.

Rothstein  --  Sources: Texas A&M Corpus Christi is expected to hire Purdue's Steve Lutz as its next head basketball coach.

He’s going to have a staff overhaul but it’s a good problem to have in a way since his guys are getting promotions.

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Illinois junior Ayo Dosunmu will declare for the 2021 NBA draft and forgo his remaining college eligibility by hiring an agent, he announced on ESPN's The Jump today.

Bump up dem Hoosiers.