Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Just now, HinnyHoosier said:

I wasn’t alive so I won’t weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well they played in a smaller conference but they beat everyone on their schedule so they deserve it.  It is not like IU is the only team to ever go undefeated but just the last.  To me it is not that huge of a deal any longer that we are the last undefeated team.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would you have put an * in 1979 if ISU won the championship.

No one is saying their championship isn’t legit. They’re a very good team. But they play in a terrible conference, which artificially raises their seed each year. They stack their record with easy conference wins. Why haven’t they gone the Butler route and joined a better conference? Do you think they’d go undefeated playing in a P5 conference instead of getting to play Pepperdine, University of the Pacific, Portland, San Diego, etc.? Because I don’t. Call it sour grapes or what have you, but their undefeated season will have an * in my mind due to their weak conference and Covid. They got to play against bad teams for most of the year in empty arenas. That’s far different from what IU did in 1976. 

Well they played in a smaller conference but they beat everyone on their schedule so they deserve it.  It is not like IU is the only team to ever go undefeated but just the last.  To me it is not that huge of a deal any longer that we are the last undefeated team.

They also didn’t feast on a smaller conference for two solid decades and didn’t have their toughest out of conference schedule abbreviated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, HinnyHoosier said:

They also didn’t feast on a smaller conference for two solid decades and didn’t have their toughest out of conference schedule abbreviated.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

How do you know you said you weren't alive to see the 79 ISU run

1 minute ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

If Gonzaga plays like this against Baylor it won’t even be close. UCLA played well but you’re not putting up 90+ on Baylor

Nah. Baylor's D is next level compared to UCLA.

Two very very different teams.

Not saying Baylor wins, just saying it will likely be a very different looking game.

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Definitely up there for me.   Purdue/Virginia a couple years ago is way up there as well for me 

That game had it all. Buzzer beaters, boneheaded plays, Purdue getting their hearts ripped out...BTN should make that an Indiana Basketball Classic game. 

I would be wary of not giving Baylor a chance. Those guys can score in bunches and are way more athletic than UCLA. Should at least be a great game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The Gonzaga conference argument is played out. Yes they are only challenged by a BYU and occasionally a Saint Mary’s but a school without a football team isn’t going to be able to move to a better conference.

Weak conference or not they’ve been legit for nearly a decade now. Routinely churning out pros, and they’d be a legit threat in any conference they’d play in if allowed to move freely but are just restricted due to their school size and lack of football

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No one is saying their championship isn’t legit. They’re a very good team. But they play in a terrible conference, which artificially raises their seed each year. They stack their record with easy conference wins. Why haven’t they gone the Butler route and joined a better conference? Do you think they’d go undefeated playing in a P5 conference instead of getting to play Pepperdine, University of the Pacific, Portland, San Diego, etc.? Because I don’t. Call it sour grapes or what have you, but their undefeated season will have an * in my mind due to their weak conference and Covid. They got to play against bad teams for most of the year in empty arenas. That’s far different from what IU did in 1976. 

I believe them leaving has quite a bit to do with the school itself. I'm glad they don't leave. Conference realignment has done nothing but hurt college basketball. 

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

The Gonzaga conference argument is played out. Yes they are only challenged by a BYU and occasionally a Saint Mary’s but a school without a football team isn’t going to be able to move to a better conference

All sports for a school don’t have to compete in the same conference 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

All sports for a school don’t have to compete in the same conference 

PAC-10 I doubt would accept a basketball only school. I can’t recall which conference and school it was but when all the alignment stuff was happening years ago there was speculation about which schools couldn’t move where due to similar factors as Gonzaga (size and football)

7 minutes ago, Southside said:

Nah. Baylor's D is next level compared to UCLA.

Two very very different teams.

Not saying Baylor wins, just saying it will likely be a very different looking game.

Ya. So you agree with me. My point was Baylor can easily get 90 on Gonzaga, but Gonzaga isn’t getting 90 on Baylor