Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Zags crush either team. But I want the zags to lose. I’m rooting for “Right/Slime” side of bracket.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

aka the Southwestern Conference. Going back to their pay to play roots.

12 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

When will people realize that Gonzaga is legitimate? It took them awhile to finally get over the hump and into the Elite 8... But once they did...

First 15 seasons(seed)..

Sweet 16(10)

Sweet 16(12)

First Round(6)

Second Round(9)

Second Round(2)

Second Round(3)

Sweet 16(3)

First Round(10)

First Round(7)

Sweet 16(4)

Second Round(8)

Second Round(11)

Second Round(7)

Second Round(1)

Second Round(8)

Then the last 6 tourneys...

Elite 8(2)

Sweet 16(11)

Runner Up(1)

Sweet 16(4)

Elite Eight(1)

Final Four(1) and maybe further. 

They are legitimate, they are a really good program BUT, they are a really good program in a really crappy conference who has done nothing to change that at fact.  Take Butler for instance, they had success and moved to get out of the Horizon to raise the level of their competition and hopefully make a few extra bucks.  Gonzaga's biggest competitor in conference has been what?  St. Mary's?  They play the type of teams 20+ games a year that would be considered cupcakes.   "But they play a hard non-conference schedule Crazy."  Yeah, because they have to.  And that non conference schedule is not a guarantee that you are catching one of those P5 schools in an up year.  

They are guaranteed about 16 wins a year from their conference schedule.  They usually have a few more cupcakes sprinkled in along with some truly tough opponents.  They are a really good program but they have record inflation based on their conference schedule.  Put Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky against that schedule and they dominate as well.  Then they get the luxury of better seeding in the tournament based off of playing mostly dreck after Christmas.  That helps with the tournament record as well.

I would respect them more if they went the Butler route to get in a conference worth a damn.

Gonzaga is legit. Have been for awhile, but their conference schedule each year pads their record. Call me a hater or whatever but, if you gave any of the past 45 champions (or however many there have been since the 76 team) Gonzaga's schedule this year we would have a lot more undefeated champions. 

My mind won't be changed and I will not respect their undefeated record. Good for them, congrats, but nope. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Gonzaga is going to win it all. And it'll be okay. Records have to be broken at some point. Just part of it. The 76 team isn't going to be forgotten. 

I look at it like it’s way past time for it to happen, and maybe we can move on. New coach, new undefeated team, new beginning.

Gonzaga is legit this year. They probably would’ve been at the top of any of the P5 conferences this year. With that said, my sour grape self won’t see their undefeated season as legit for two reasons. First, they play in a weak conference. Second, this was a Covid season. They got to play in a weak conference in empty arenas all season. When you’re just flat out better than your opponents, getting to play on essentially neutral courts all year is a massive advantage. Kudos to them for showing up every night, but an undefeated season where you got to play in empty arenas against a weak conference is just different than an undefeated season in normal year of playing in a P5 conference and going on the road in hostile environments, imo. 

Gonzaga is legit. Have been for awhile, but their conference schedule each year pads their record. Call me a hater or whatever but, if you gave any of the past 45 champions (or however many there have been since the 76 team) Gonzaga's schedule this year we would have a lot more undefeated champions. 
My mind won't be changed and I will not respect their undefeated record. Good for them, congrats, but nope. 

Gonzaga is a very good team, but if they played home and away games in the BIG, I don’t believe they would be undefeated. Not much of a challenging environment for away games this year because there are no fans, but in a typical year, I would expect them to lose a game or two on the road in the BIG.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Baylor can get hot man.  I love Few and Gonzaga, but I personally thought Kentucky the year they lost to Wisconsin was more likely to go undefeated.  Weird things happen in a single elimination tournament.  I would still only give the field at this point 20%.  Great team in a weak conference.  Few might be one of the smartest men alive.  

53 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

Gonzaga is a very good team, but if they played home and away games in the BIG, I don’t believe they would be undefeated. Not much of a challenging environment for away games this year because there are no fans, but in a typical year, I would expect them to lose a game or two on the road in the BIG.

I doubt they would have lost more than 1 or 2 games. They took it to teams like Iowa and West Virginia. They have 3 dudes that would be Top 5 players in the Big Ten. I know people want to act like the Big Ten is amazing, but it was super overrated this season. I wouldn't have been surprised if they still undefeated with a Big Ten schedule. Early in the season they beat Kansas 102-90, Auburn 90-67, West Virginia 87-82, Iowa 99-88 and Virginia 98-75. 

I doubt they would have lost more than 1 or 2 games. They took it to teams like Iowa and West Virginia. They have 3 dudes that would be Top 5 players in the Big Ten. I know people want to act like the Big Ten is amazing, but it was super overrated this season. I wouldn't have been surprised if they still undefeated with a Big Ten schedule. Early in the season they beat Kansas 102-90, Auburn 90-67, West Virginia 87-82, Iowa 99-88 and Virginia 98-75. 

I would take Iowa off that list. IU beat them twice.

I think Gonzaga will win but there is always the possibility that the pressure will get to them. They're going for their school's first NC and the first undefeated season in 45 years. I'm sure they'll be asked about those things many, many times over the next week. All it takes is one off game or, at this point, just a few bad plays to end the run.

I don't think it happens though and they win it all.

28 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The teams you mentioned (5 Teams) went 3-4 in the tournament with 1 not making it... the 4 that did all got "upset" by lower seeds the 1st weekend.... Plus as mentioned they played them early in the season without fans being present...

I am 100% NOT on the bandwagon that is Gonzaga.... yes they are good, especially this year and in recent years, but they are no where near true undefeated good, and they most certainly don't play a tough schedule overall comparatively....

There's absolutely no chance Gonzaga could have gone through a BIG schedule and more importantly BIG refs without 2 losses. Every team has a bad night from time  to time and there were only a handful of games Gonzaga could have slept through in the BIG this year. On the other hand, they only had to show up for one or two games all year in the WCC and that is being extremely generous. 

It bothers me less that Gonzaga would go undefeated if they do than the way they would do it, ie. a down year in college basketball, limited fan attendance, and being from a terrible conference. It just doesn't compare to Indiana not only doing it from a major conference but beating the national runner up for the 3rd time to do so. Michigan being the national runner up and IU beating them 3 times has always been the most impressive part of the undefeated season to me. 

9 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

The teams you mentioned (5 Teams) went 3-4 in the tournament with 1 not making it... the 4 that did all got "upset" by lower seeds the 1st weekend.... Plus as mentioned they played them early in the season without fans being present...

I am 100% NOT on the bandwagon that is Gonzaga.... yes they are good, especially this year and in recent years, but they are no where near true undefeated good, and they most certainly don't play a tough schedule overall comparatively....

They were still Top 25 teams outside of Auburn who is more on par with Northwestern and Indiana types. Iowa was a top team in the Big Ten. Virginia was a top team in the ACC. West Virginia and Kansas were top teams in the Big 12. All of that comparable to what they would have seen in the Big Ten and they averaging over 90 ppg on them.