Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

OSU is the most overrated team in the conference. I have no idea why they're projected to be a 2 seed. 

Because all their Q1 wins are away from home.  6 on the road (5 of those wins against projected tourney teams) and 1 on a neutral site against a projected tourney team.  

Last time Duke and Kentucky missed the tournament in the same year was 1976 when a certain team ran the table.  No Duke or Kentucky this year so does another team run the table?   As good as I think the Zags are I feel they won’t run the table 
I'm still leaning toward Michigan winning it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

I'll say it again: is there a more overrated team in this conference than OSU? 

I can’t help but feel that way as well.  I’ve tried to get on board with the notion of them being an outstanding team but I just don’t see it.  They have a loss to Northwestern, got swept by Purdue, lost four in a row to end the season, and if not for that burst at the beginning of today’s game they would have gotten beat by the 13 seed in our conference tournament.  They are also a fairly average shooting team and I don’t know that they have a go-to bucket getter.  That doesn’t sound like an NCAA tournament 2 seed to me. 

And, as I believe it was USPS that pointed out earlier, their resume is heavily boosted by so many of their Q1 wins being on the road in a year where winning on the road isn’t as difficult as it is any other year.  The opponent NET cutoff for a quad 1 win on the road remains 2.5 times lower than that for a home game (not that I expected them to adjust it for this one year).  Credit to them for getting those wins since none come easy in the conference, but they are kind of gaming the quad system to likely get a NCAA tournament 2 seed. 

Not to mention they likely won’t benefit from the B1G style of officiating in the NCAA tournament.  Having their games officiated by crews from other conferences might result in early foul trouble, and Kyle Young won’t be allowed to be a pro wrestler on the court in the NCAA tournament.

Sorry for the rant, I’ve thought the same thing for a few weeks now and thought I was the only one.