Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

It was mentioned during the Michigan/Rutgers game that the Big Ten has STILL not determined what to do with the games that have been postponed by covid.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me at this point to not have a plan.  I've already stated that I don't think those games should be made up -- can't think of a reason to force a team into playing extra games leading up to the Big Ten tournament, where teams are going to be forced to go back-to-back if they keep winning.  At most, I would only try to make up games IF the matchup that was postponed before was the only time that the teams would have played each other.  

If the Big Ten were to follow that format, the only games that would be made up would be Illinois at Michigan and Nebraska at Iowa.  Every other missed game was between teams that will have played each other at least once already.

Let's face it, the Big Ten schedule has always been unbalanced anyway.  Let's not try to force games into a tight space just for the sake of playing them.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Depends on the situation. Before the minute mark stops the clock. Good teams with solid bball IQ can waste a solid 7 seconds after a made basket.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

And if you see a high school coach do, the clock never stops even inside a minute.  You can waste a good 10 seconds after a made basket as well -- refs will give you about five seconds to get to the ball and then five seconds to inbound it.  You technically can take five to get it and then throw the ball toward the other end after four seconds.....you'll waste 9 seconds + the time it takes the ball to go to the other end.

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Depends on the situation. Before the minute mark stops the clock. Good teams with solid bball IQ can waste a solid 7 seconds after a made basket.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That makes sense. Now that I think about it, I've seen countless high school games this year where a team scored with 5-6 seconds left in  a quarter/half and the clock ran to zero before the other team even got the ball inbounds. 

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It was mentioned during the Michigan/Rutgers game that the Big Ten has STILL not determined what to do with the games that have been postponed by covid.

Seems pretty ridiculous to me at this point to not have a plan.  I've already stated that I don't think those games should be made up -- can't think of a reason to force a team into playing extra games leading up to the Big Ten tournament, where teams are going to be forced to go back-to-back if they keep winning.  At most, I would only try to make up games IF the matchup that was postponed before was the only time that the teams would have played each other.  

If the Big Ten were to follow that format, the only games that would be made up would be Illinois at Michigan and Nebraska at Iowa.  Every other missed game was between teams that will have played each other at least once already.

Let's face it, the Big Ten schedule has always been unbalanced anyway.  Let's not try to force games into a tight space just for the sake of playing them.

To point out how ill planned this is....Nebraska had a home game postponed against Maryland and then gave up that home game later and played back-to-back nights at Maryland.

8 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Wichita State is very underrated and Houston is overrated.  Wichita State was 10-4 coming in with half of their games being Quad 1 or Quad 2.

I recognized a bunch of dudes that had grown up from the team that beat us in the NIT. That coach may get a full time look there. 

10 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I wish somebody would ask coaches why they call timeouts after their team scores. 

As it's mentioned it depends on the situation. 

1) Get the defense set / draw up the next offensive look

2) General coaching

3) Subs

12 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Seems pretty ridiculous to me at this point to not have a plan.  I've already stated that I don't think those games should be made up -- can't think of a reason to force a team into playing extra games leading up to the Big Ten tournament, where teams are going to be forced to go back-to-back if they keep winning. 

My fear is that's exactly what will happen to us.  Currently we have a scheduled home game against Michigan on the 27th and then our season finale at PUke on March 6.  B1G tournament starts on the 10th. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see us get games crammed down our throats between the 27th and the 6th.  Another example of poor leadership at the top of the conference.