Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Looking like Justin Smith might have made the right choice. Maybe. 

Not if we are to believe that he transferred to help his 'pro prospects' and get to show off his 'guard skills'.

He's still the same player he was when he was here......good on ball defender when he wants to be, can't hit any kind of jumper.  I hope for his sake he's happy there, because here it seems he wasn't a particular fun guy to be around.

Northwestern got a big deficit (I think it was 17 at its largest) down to 1 once late in the second half, and to 2 another time, but Illinois just kept hitting huge shots. Dosunmu hit the dagger -- about a 30-footer -- to stem the tide once and for all. Illinois wins by 7 -- 73-66. 

Relatively entertaining game. 

29 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Northwestern -- bless their hearts -- is giving Illinois a helluva battle to try and end that skid. They were getting poleaxed early, but keep fighting back only to see the Illini pull away. It's down to 1 now. 

The first time they played was as weird a game as I'd seen.  Northwestern dominated them in the first half and was up 43-28 at the break.  The second half Northwestern played the worst half of basketball I've seen from a Big Ten team and got outscored 53-13 in an 81-56 loss.

9 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Not if we are to believe that he transferred to help his 'pro prospects' and get to show off his 'guard skills'.

He's still the same player he was when he was here......good on ball defender when he wants to be, can't hit any kind of jumper.  I hope for his sake he's happy there, because here it seems he wasn't a particular fun guy to be around.

Well Arkansas is ranked 24th. They are 17-5(9-4). So I'd say he is having fun actually winning for once. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well Arkansas is ranked 24th. They are 17-5(9-4). So I'd say he is having fun actually winning for once. 

Seems like he found a program where he can enjoy basketball--a much softer/Crean-like schedule and a good team. Justin and Archie obviously did not connect, and I always thought he was not part of the primary group of close friends, largely kids from Indiana, at IU. 

Seems like he was a drag on program culture at IU, and is not at Arky.

A win/win.

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

His stats are almost exactly what they were here. I mean, good for him if he's happy, but he was supposed to be going to this free flowing offense that was going to let him break out. Admittedly, I haven't seem him play at all, but his stats don't represent anything different.

16 minutes ago, bigrod said:

His stats are almost exactly what they were here. I mean, good for him if he's happy, but he was supposed to be going to this free flowing offense that was going to let him break out. Admittedly, I haven't seem him play at all, but his stats don't represent anything different.

Every game I've watched, he's played exactly the same way he played here.

14 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Justin Smith and Devonte Green are a year removed from the program and still getting dragged through the mud on this board and quite frankly weren't treated very well when they were a part of the program. I don't know either personally and doesn't "seem like" many know them here either. I can't count how many times I've read here that we'd be better off this year without them and seeing some of the results, I'm not sure how accurate that is - we did win 20 games after all with those 2.

Lots of talk also about how poor the characters are of the players from the NBA factories of Kentucky, Duke and UNC, yet folks would gladly take Keion Brooks in a transfer scenario to IU. Just confusing to say the least.

Rant over, go IU. Beat Minny - I just get a bit squirmy when people's characters are questioned without any concrete evidence to back it up or a personal relationship with the person/player.

Realize I might be taking on a mod or powers that be here, but don't really care. Players that never put on an IU uniform are getting treated better than some that didn't. I'll criticize a player for his play, but I don't like to get into questioning their character. Different strokes for different folks, perhaps. Feel free to remove mods, just my take on some of the stuff I read.

I think the bigger problem with Smith was all his dad’s public Twitter comments. It’s not good for the team culture when someone’s parent is online trashing their kids teammates and coach. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think the bigger problem with Smith was all his dad’s public Twitter comments. It’s not good for the team culture when someone’s parent is online trashing their kids teammates and coach. 

Wasn't Keion Brooks Sr combative with IU fans/IU's play on social media during his son's recruitment and subsequent commitment to Kentucky? It's been a few nights I've slept since that and could easily be mistaken. I'd happily take him at IU if he can help, that's not my point, what I'm driving at a is a player can have a desire to get to the league and still have a solid head on their shoulders (read character). I, personally, don't believe those two things are mutually exclusive. Just my take. And I think we'd all agree that Romeo's character was unquestionable (perhaps not Rob Phinisee if I'm to believe some of the rumors there, but that's a conversation for another thread).

May have woken up on the wrong side of the bed and coming in to hot, just been stewing on this thought for a while.

Justin Smith and Devonte Green are a year removed from the program and still getting dragged through the mud on this board and quite frankly weren't treated very well when they were a part of the program. I don't know either personally and doesn't "seem like" many know them here either. I can't count how many times I've read here that we'd be better off this year without them and seeing some of the results, I'm not sure how accurate that is - we did win 20 games after all with those 2.
Lots of talk also about how poor the characters are of the players from the NBA factories of Kentucky, Duke and UNC, yet folks would gladly take Keion Brooks in a transfer scenario to IU. Just confusing to say the least.
Rant over, go IU. Beat Minny - I just get a bit squirmy when people's characters are questioned without any concrete evidence to back it up or a personal relationship with the person/player.

Realize I might be taking on a mod or powers that be here, but don't really care. Players that never put on an IU uniform are getting treated better than some that didn't. I'll criticize a player for his play, but I don't like to get into questioning their character. Different strokes for different folks, perhaps. Feel free to remove mods, just my take on some of the stuff I read.

I don’t miss either one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, Bowhunter said:

I don’t miss either one of them.

Nor I. They were still Hoosiers though and felt like speaking up to say their characters shouldn't be continually questioned. Justin Smith at the least was an excellent student and that had to reflect well on the university. Considering some of the academic records of some of Crean's players, that was a welcome change I think most would agree.

Nor I. They were still Hoosiers though and felt like speaking up to say their characters shouldn't be continually questioned. Justin Smith at the least was an excellent student and that had to reflect well on the university. Considering some of the academic records of some of Crean's players, that was a welcome change I think most would agree.

Can’t argue against a good student. That is a great point. However, watching Justin’s interviews and body language, it seemed like he wasn’t entirely invested in the basketball side of things . His dad was a major contributor to that. I actually preferred Green light Devonte out of the two on the court. He just turned it over way too much.

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

Realize I might be taking on a mod or powers that be here, but don't really care. Players that never put on an IU uniform are getting treated better than some that did. I'll criticize a player for his play, but I don't like to get into questioning their character. Different strokes for different folks, perhaps. Feel free to remove mods, just my take on some of the stuff I read.

Smith and Green won us a few games. And from I remember, it was Smith and Durham who were the problems, even though it was always Green and Davis getting dragged through the mud. And Al Durham instead has an fan club. Is what it is. People want to throw blame at someone and it's always the guys leaving just to make themselves feel better. Always forgetting the motto "Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier."