Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

25 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Their resume is non existent until they get above .500. Luckily for them, they play Michigan State and Nebraska the next two games. Unlucky part, is that they are the exact team who can lose both. 

In a way, Penn State and Maryland are like IU, but not quite as 'there' yet. We need to hold steady; win at the same pace, and if we improve we're playing for seed line; if we digress it's time to get really nervous. They've got work to do to get enough wins.

That's life in a conference which is 50% ranked teams.

23 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Their resume is non existent until they get above .500. Luckily for them, they play Michigan State and Nebraska the next two games. Unlucky part, is that they are the exact team who can lose both. 

Maybe to casual college basketball fans their resume is non existent until they get to .500 but to people who project the field for a living (and those who do it for fun) and the college basketball junkies who watch the games their resume is definitely not non existent until it’s .500.  They are very much in the conversation for an at-large bid 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

In a way, Penn State and Maryland are like IU, but not quite as 'there' yet. We need to hold steady; win at the same pace, and if we improve we're playing for seed line; if we digress it's time to get really nervous. They've got work to do to get enough wins.

That's life in a conference which is 50% ranked teams.

Life in a conference where 11 out of 14 are legitimately in the conversation for an at large bid.   B1G is a blessing and a curse.  You are a 4 game losing streak from taking yourself out of the equation for a bid or you are a 4 game winning streak away from solidifying your bid with a better seed.  Sparty could go on a run and get back in the mix.  IU or Minny could hit a losing streak and be out of the projected field 

I can't shake this feeling that it is going to come down to IU needing to get 1 more win to get on the good side of the bubble, and that 1 win is going to have to come @purdue on the final game of the season. 

That doesn't bode well for a very happy ending. I hope I am wrong!

42 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe to casual college basketball fans their resume is non existent until they get to .500 but to people who project the field for a living (and those who do it for fun) and the college basketball junkies who watch the games their resume is definitely not non existent until it’s .500.  They are very much in the conversation for an at-large bid 

If you're projecting the field with Penn State being that close, you're not doing your job very well. Penn State is just an outlier as of now. Nothing more. 

39 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I can't shake this feeling that it is going to come down to IU needing to get 1 more win to get on the good side of the bubble, and that 1 win is going to have to come @purdue on the final game of the season. 

That doesn't bode well for a very happy ending. I hope I am wrong!

I absolutely hate that @ PU is our last game of the season. But if it truly does come down to needing one more win, we can at least think of it like this.....a loss @ PU doesn't hurt the resume and there is a very high likelihood that we'll have a opportunity for a quad 1 win at the Big Ten tournament. So we'd still have a chance to get that one needed win. 

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I absolutely hate that @ PU is our last game of the season. But if it truly does come down to needing one more win, we can at least think of it like this.....a loss @ PU doesn't hurt the resume and there is a very high likelihood that we'll have a opportunity for a quad 1 win at the Big Ten tournament. So we'd still have a chance to get that one needed win. 

Yeah I thought about the BIG tournament. So I guess it would be IU needing to count on getting a win in Mackey or in the BIG tournament...

yikes. Lets avoid that scenario and go on a run of  4 straight wins here!

Really wanted to "like" it but couldn't figure out whether I was 'confused', 'laughing', or 'crying.' I guess everyone doing brackets, whether for fun or getting paid, isn't doing their job very well..

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

I feel like these annual discussions are like reading a transcript of a dad talking to his toddler.  When my nephew was younger we would have discussions about "knowledge bubbles."  There are somethings you just can't understand until you educate yourself on them. 

"Nephew, if you don't know, seek knowledge to understand.  Taking a stance on something you don't know and opening your mouth will prove to others your ignorance on that subject.  Don't be an idiot, nephew."

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

North Carolina

UCLA

Duke

Michigan State

Syracuse

All unranked right now.. what is going on with college basketball? 

Probably a rhetorical question, but I've been of the belief that at least in the case of Kentucky and Duke and their reliance on freshman have been greatly affected by the pandemic with an abridged non-conference slate and altered preseason. Being thrown to the wolves of conference games after 8 or so games is tough. We've seen with our own eyes how long it's taken Lander to get up to speed. As for the others, I can't really say. UCLA is top 25 though, no?

26 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

If you're projecting the field with Penn State being that close, you're not doing your job very well. Penn State is just an outlier as of now. Nothing more. 

There's a lot more to it, actually. The more significant outlier in this situation is that nobody played a full non-conference schedule. PSU played 4 non-conference games. A normal season has what...10? 12? non-conference games. So add 6 or 7 wins against cupcakes and boom! 13-8, 14-8....well over .500 with some really strong wins. The outlier/strange scenario is that a 7-8 team this season can have the same strength of resume as a 14-8 team did last season at the same point. It just doesn't include all of the wins that don't actually count toward a resume. 

33 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Probably a rhetorical question, but I've been of the belief that at least in the case of Kentucky and Duke and their reliance on freshman have been greatly affected by the pandemic with an abridged non-conference slate and altered preseason. Being thrown to the wolves of conference games after 8 or so games is tough. We've seen with our own eyes how long it's taken Lander to get up to speed. As for the others, I can't really say. UCLA is top 25 though, no?

UCLA just dropped out. They are 29th and the highest "ranked" of all those teams. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

UCLA just dropped out. They are 29th and the highest "ranked" of all those teams. 

Ahh, saw them on the bottom line Sunday, but clearly didn't look at that final score close enough. Thanks for setting me straight

25 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Borzello - 

Before today, the last AP poll without Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas or UCLA was Dec. 18, 1961.  For the first time in almost 60 years, all five are officially unranked at the same time.

What’s really sad is we weren’t even included in that Tweet even though we could have been without changing anything 

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What’s really sad is we weren’t even included in that Tweet even though we could have been without changing anything 

Each of the 10 schools with the most total AP Poll appearances all-time are not ranked in this week's AP Poll:

928 North Carolina
920 Kentucky
841 Duke
796 Kansas
699 UCLA
656 Louisville
560 Indiana
550 Arizona
550 Syracuse
476 Michigan State

IU has been in the wilderness for the last 20 years and is still in the top 7. Ahhh the good old days. 

Question is this just a one year, COVID fueled anomaly, or a paradigm shift? Roy, Boeheim, K and Izzo are in their twilight years.....who knows?  

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Each of the 10 schools with the most total AP Poll appearances all-time are not ranked in this week's AP Poll:

928 North Carolina
920 Kentucky
841 Duke
796 Kansas
699 UCLA
656 Louisville
560 Indiana
550 Arizona
550 Syracuse
476 Michigan State

None of the 13 winningest programs in D-I history are currently ranked in the AP Poll

1. Kentucky
2. Kansas
3. North Carolina
4. Duke
5. Temple
6. Syracuse
7. UCLA
8. Notre Dame
9. St John’s
10. Indiana
11. Arizona
12. Utah
13. Cincinnati

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

928 North Carolina
920 Kentucky
841 Duke
796 Kansas
699 UCLA
656 Louisville
560 Indiana
550 Arizona
550 Syracuse
476 Michigan State

Do Louisvilles still count after all that was taken away? Wonder how that would work. 

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think the media has just gotten used to us not being ranked anymore.