Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

UMass men’s basketball and women’s tennis handed two-year probation and fines, UMass to appeal

The announcement of UMass getting handed a two-year probation and $5,000 fine came mid-day on Friday. Earlier in the morning there was a tweet regarding the potential of a decision being made on a UMass sport, but nothing specific was mentioned regarding what team.

According to the report from the NCAA, Massachusetts gave out “more than $9,100 in excess of full cost of attendance on 13 occasions over a three-year period.” The report went on to state that Massachusetts did comply with 98% of its cases regarding financial aid, although failed to correct the overpayment of financial aid to student-athletes. UMass self-reported the incident, which in the NCAA’s report went on to mention that the overpayment of financial aid was unintentional.

As a result of the investigation, the NCAA determined this incident to be Level II-mitigated and handed three punishments to UMass. They consisted of a two-year probation from Oct. 16 of this year to Oct. 15 of 2022, a $5,000 fine and a removal of records made when the student-athletes who were deemed ineligible through the investigation participated in. This means both teams would have to vacate their records, which consist of 46 wins over the last three seasons for the basketball team and the women’s tennis team would have to vacate their tennis victories along with its 2016-2017 Atlantic 10 Championship.

UMass came out with a statement shortly after the news was made regarding the NCAA’s decision and said it would be appealing the punishments. Athletic Director Ryan Bamford said in a statement, “As an athletics department we accept that we made administrative mistakes in the distribution of athletic aid through our financial aid process. However, we do not believe that the penalties imposed by the NCAA are appropriate, nor proportional to the violations that occurred.” UMass said in the statement they had no intention of gaining a competitive advantage with this error.

Never self report. Vacating 46 wins for an administrative error. UNC? Louisville? Duke? LSU? Crickets.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

Kansas forward Silvio De Sousa announces he is opting out of the basketball season and leaving the Jayhawks.

Adidas got themselves one helluva return on that particular investment.

15 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Must be a good story behind this since the NCAA pretty much hands out waivers like it was Halloween candy.

Jeff Goodman -

Ohio State’s Jimmy Sotos had his waiver denied, and will appeal, source told @Stadium. Transferred from Bucknell.

Sotos was destined to be a rotation piece on a team that is already thin at guard. He is a catch and shoot two guard who was Bucknell's leading scorer last year.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Sotos was destined to be a rotation piece on a team that is already thin at guard. He is a catch and shoot two guard who was Bucknell's leading scorer last year.

That's a shame! I hate the capricious and arbitrary NCAA rules....unless they screw the right people! 

From David Jones columnist for http://PennLive.com and The Harrisburg Patriot-News, the Penn State bible.

1. Patrick Chambers has been the subject of Penn State internal investigation for the past several months, led by PSU athletics integrity officer Robert Boland, PennLive has learned. Interviews with many former players and coaches have centered around Chambers’ treatment of them.

2. Sources have indicated it was launched after recent public comments of former PSU and current Iowa State guard Rasir Bolton and those of graduated guard/current Dallas Maverick Josh Reaves. Those interviewed have been asked questions about possible recruiting irregularities.

Could it be a death penalty case?

Could this be the end of Sean Miller?

The University of Arizona was served with nine allegations of misconduct, five of which are classified as Level I violations, in the Notice of Allegations that the NCAA sent to the school on Oct. 21, The Athletic has learned. The Level I allegations, which fall in the most serious category, include a lack of institutional control and failure to monitor by the university; a lack of head coach control by men’s basketball coach Sean Miller; and a lack of head coach control by Augie Busch, the women’s swimming and diving coach.

18 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The University of Arizona was served with nine allegations of misconduct, five of which are classified as Level I violations, in the Notice of Allegations that the NCAA sent to the school on Oct. 21, The Athletic has learned. The Level I allegations, which fall in the most serious category, include a lack of institutional control and failure to monitor by the university; a lack of head coach control by men’s basketball coach Sean Miller; and a lack of head coach control by Augie Busch, the women’s swimming and diving coach.

5 level ones.  Ouch

Serious rhetorical question- if Sean Miller gets fired, how would you feel if Archie hired him as assistant (again, totally rhetorical, assume IU would let him and Sean was interested)?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Serious rhetorical question- if Sean Miller gets fired, how would you feel if Archie hired him as assistant (again, totally rhetorical, assume IU would let him and Sean was interested)?

I'd probably quit IU basketball until our next coach was hired. 

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don’t want to make it look like the revenue sports only. So let’s also bust the women’s swim coach for lack of head coach control. I can’t stop laughing at that. The highest paid state employee in Arizona.......and some other dude.

44 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Hard pass.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Didn't Kansas get the same violations at the end of last season? They'll unite to thwart the NCAA and the numbskulls they have for lawyers.

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

Heck no. Sure he will head to the pros anyway so that he can underwhelm with the pros 

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

For those who say “no way,” did you get super angry & give up IU basketball from 1990-2000 when Bobby Knight had Norm Ellenberger on the IU staff?