Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

10 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Obligatory (from Grantland):

• Indiana got its first win in East Lansing since 1991 with a hard-fought 72-68 win over the Michigan State Spartans. Missed free throws down the stretch hurt the Spartans, as they went 2-for-6 from the stripe in the final two minutes of the game. “I could just feel [Indiana head coach] Tom Crean looking at me as I was at the line,” said MSU guard Gary Harris, who missed a chance to tie the game at the line after being fouled on a 3-pointer. Harris went on to explain, “I’m from Indiana and the guy recruited me hard, and I really wanted to go to IU, but then you see him smile, and it’s not a real full smile, it’s like a creepy half smile. And you start looking at his hairline, and the way it goes way back but he still gets all that volume in his hair, and you start realizing something ain’t right. And then you realize Tom Izzo looks kind of the same, and so does Calipari, and so does Pitino, and you start to wonder whether your trapped in some sort of nightmare, where all of the best college basketball coaches out there are the same guy. Or maybe avatars of the same demigod? And that maybe there is no free will, and you’ll always end up playing basketball for Tom Crean, or whatever it is that Tom Crean represents, assuming it’s supernatural, which I now do. So, yeah, I missed some big free throws, but I had a lot on my mind.”

While this quote is not real, the amazing thing is ... it feels like it could be!

And therefore ... it is awesome.

On 10/6/2020 at 3:36 PM, IUc2016 said:

SIAP,  but expected that NCAA gives additional year of eligibility to winter sports like they did with fall sports. Thoughts on whether this is a good thing for IU in particular or no?

two notable players that would have the option for another year are Joey Brunk and Al Durham. Would you want to take another year of either/both of them? Joey would help the frontcourt issue slightly imo. 

If the new crop of guards are what we hope they are, then no, Al wouldn't be that much help. 

Brunk though? I think he'd be a huge asset assuming TJD bolts. Unless a grad transfer makes an appearance IU is gonna be super thin in the post: 1 Freshman Center in Duncomb and 1 Sr PF in Thompson.....and that is about it. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

If the new crop of guards are what we hope they are, then no, Al wouldn't be that much help. 

Brunk though? I think he'd be a huge asset assuming TJD bolts. Unless a grad transfer makes an appearance IU is gonna be super thin in the post: 1 Freshman Center in Duncomb and 1 Sr PF in Thompson.....and that is about it. 

I agree on Al. I could see the staff telling him it is time to move on but keeping Joey to help the frontcourt depth. 

Here's to hoping Trey Kaufman decides to be a Hoosier. 

7 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Oh, what could’ve been...

Man, could you imagine the absolute storm that would hit if we hired him and then this came out. 

i’s imagine/hope that some stuff came up during the search the turned IU away from him 

I think that largely, a program looks to move 180 degrees away from what is not working.

Tom Crean was, at his lesser moments, far too intense and manic. Marshall apparently very much has no filter and is inappropriately over the top.

After Crean, we were looking for sane and professional. While the jury may be currently out on how successful Archie will be at IU, there is universal agreement that he is a 180 degree personality turn from Crean.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:04 AM, Treesh said:

I demand those who wanted this man to come forward and apologize. 

He's a clown. Archie > 

Well, since you demanded...

I'm very disappointed in Marshall.  Had we hired him, I'm sure we'd be firing him right about now.

But in the previous 3 years, we would have had significantly more success than we've had and would be in a better situation than we will be in another year or two when we're firing Archie for underperforming yet again.

11 hours ago, Josh said:

Well, since you demanded...

I'm very disappointed in Marshall.  Had we hired him, I'm sure we'd be firing him right about now.

But in the previous 3 years, we would have had significantly more success than we've had and would be in a better situation than we will be in another year or two when we're firing Archie for underperforming yet again.

I wanted Marshall too. But Archie was on the list. I’m not ready to jump ship on Arch. This is a big year for sure. Need to make that jump. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:04 AM, Treesh said:

I demand those who wanted this man to come forward and apologize. 

He's a clown. Archie > 

Why? This wasn't public knowledge then- wanting a long-term winner with a recent FF run was hardly shameful. 

For the record I wasn't for Marshall, but don't fault them. Or was this sarcasm and my meter didn't detect it? 

3 hours ago, MoyeNeeded said:

Impact on recruiting? Go!

I'm ready!

We have the extraordinary luxury of two open rides for this year. We fill those in January with Kaufman and Mohammed.

EVERYONE else stays, except ,one of Joey or Al leaves, and we fill that slot with Duncomb.

Heavy Rotation:

TJD, Lander, Mohammed, Kaufman, Durham, Thompson, Hunter, Phinisee.

Done...perfect!!  ;)

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm ready!

We have the extraordinary luxury of two open rides for this year. We fill those in January with Kaufman and Mohammed.

EVERYONE else stays, except ,one of Joey or Al leaves, and we fill that slot with Duncomb.

Heavy Rotation:

TJD, Lander, Mohammed, Kaufman, Durham, Thompson, Hunter, Phinisee.

Done...perfect!!  ;)

Call me greedy but I want Mason Miller too.  But the chances of someone transferring in this day and age is pretty high.  It would work itself out.

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Because it’s fun:

1. Lander. -Phin, Franklin
2. Muhammad. -Leal, (Durham)
3. Hunter. -Geronimo, Galloway
4. Kaufman -Race
5. TJD. -Duncomb ( or Brunk)

National title contending talent.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

So let’s talk reality for next year:

No TJD. 

Race is gonna be a starter minutes player this year and next year.

As long as Al Durham is at IU he will start and play full minutes.

And...still a national title contender roster.

So let’s talk reality for next year:
No TJD. 

Race is gonna be a starter minutes player this year and next year.
As long as Al Durham is at IU he will start and play full minutes.
And...still a national title contender roster.

Don’t ruin my fun, Stuhoo.

But since you did.

Agree, TJD is gone.

Disagree about us being a title contender with TJD gone and Race and Al getting starter minutes.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

UMass men’s basketball and women’s tennis handed two-year probation and fines, UMass to appeal

The announcement of UMass getting handed a two-year probation and $5,000 fine came mid-day on Friday. Earlier in the morning there was a tweet regarding the potential of a decision being made on a UMass sport, but nothing specific was mentioned regarding what team.

According to the report from the NCAA, Massachusetts gave out “more than $9,100 in excess of full cost of attendance on 13 occasions over a three-year period.” The report went on to state that Massachusetts did comply with 98% of its cases regarding financial aid, although failed to correct the overpayment of financial aid to student-athletes. UMass self-reported the incident, which in the NCAA’s report went on to mention that the overpayment of financial aid was unintentional.

As a result of the investigation, the NCAA determined this incident to be Level II-mitigated and handed three punishments to UMass. They consisted of a two-year probation from Oct. 16 of this year to Oct. 15 of 2022, a $5,000 fine and a removal of records made when the student-athletes who were deemed ineligible through the investigation participated in. This means both teams would have to vacate their records, which consist of 46 wins over the last three seasons for the basketball team and the women’s tennis team would have to vacate their tennis victories along with its 2016-2017 Atlantic 10 Championship.

UMass came out with a statement shortly after the news was made regarding the NCAA’s decision and said it would be appealing the punishments. Athletic Director Ryan Bamford said in a statement, “As an athletics department we accept that we made administrative mistakes in the distribution of athletic aid through our financial aid process. However, we do not believe that the penalties imposed by the NCAA are appropriate, nor proportional to the violations that occurred.” UMass said in the statement they had no intention of gaining a competitive advantage with this error.