Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/wednesday-s-leftovers-uk-s-first-2021-commit-syracuse-targets-2023-stars

Not posting this for any IU information. Posting it because it refers to the “grandson of Milt Wagner.” Not sure I’ve read anything in my entire life that has made me feel older than that.

5 minutes ago, Demo said:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/wednesday-s-leftovers-uk-s-first-2021-commit-syracuse-targets-2023-stars

Not posting this for any IU information. Posting it because it refers to the “grandson of Milt Wagner.” Not sure I’ve read anything in my entire life that has made me feel older than that.

Yea, thanks for that. Man, I am old.

Jerry Sloane, father of IU BB player alum, Brian Sloane, and Basketball Hall of Fame coach passed away.

This past February our girls played in the Supersectional in his hometown. I met his cousin at the game. The gym is named after him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jerry Sloane, father of IU BB player alum, Brian Sloane, and Basketball Hall of Fame coach passed away.

This past February our girls played in the Supersectional in his hometown. I met his cousin at the game. The gym is named after him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sloane was a good player in the NBA and at the University of Evansville.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

323SGrant

IMHO he was a good player 

________

Jerry Sloan was a good enough college basketball player to be selected 4th in the 1965 NBA draft. So I suppose in your opinion you have to be selected in the top 3 in the draft to be better than just a "good" college  player.

323SGrant
IMHO he was a good player 
________
Jerry Sloan was a good enough college basketball player to be selected 4th in the 1965 NBA draft. So I suppose in your opinion you have to be selected in the top 3 in the draft to be better than just a "good" college  player.

No need to get upset because we have a difference of opinion. Did you see him play at U of E?

I'm not going bother discussing this with someone who obviously is unfamiliar with the subject and is just trying to be annoying.

Seems to me you’re annoying. I already told you we can have a difference of opinion, but apparently you’d rather resort to name calling. I saw him many times. I would take him on my team any day, however, once again, you describe him as a great player. I only reserve that description for a very small percentage of players.

As a two guard, in his senior year of college Jerry Sloan averaged 17.6 points per game, and 14.7 rebounds per game, (as a guard!) which led him to being the #4 overall pick in the NBA draft. To put that in perspective, no player in 26 years at any position has averaged more rebounds than Sloan did that year as a guard.
In his ten year NBA career as a two guard he averaged 14.0 points per game and 7.4 rebounds per game. To put that in perspective, he is the second highest rebounds per game average for a guard in the history of the whole freaking NBA! Oscar Robertson is barely higher at 7.50 rebounds per game. Also, in a 10 year career he was 1st team all-NBA defensive player four times, and 2nd team all-NBA twice. NBA Hall of Famer. Jersey retired at Evansville. 
That’s pretty great is you ask me.

Again, I saw him play many years in college and I would take him on my team any day. IMHO he was not great. I guess it depends on what you call great. Do you know who Evansville College played in those days? I saw who they played. Stat’s don’t tell everything Stu. I know you know that. He averaged 15 pts. per game at EC, but like I said, stats., aren’t everything. I saw the teams they were playing. You should be ashamed comparing him to Oscar Robertson. Ha! Are you going to say he was comparable to Jerry West next? Lol! You said he was pretty great. Additionally, as I mentioned previously, I’ve been referring to college participation only. I’d give him an A defensively, an A in rebounding and a C in shooting, especially from the outside. He was tough as nails and Larry Humes was a good friend of his and I would take Jerry Sloan on my team in a heartbeat. I loved his play. I rooted for him throughout his career. I only put a very few in the “great” category.

11 minutes ago, 323SGrant said:

Again, I saw him play many years in college and I would take him on my team any day. IMHO he was not great. I guess it depends on what you call great. Do you know who Evansville College played in those days? I saw who they played. Stat’s don’t tell everything Stu. I know you know that. He averaged 15 pts. per game at EC, but like I said, stats., aren’t everything. I saw the teams they were playing. You should be ashamed comparing him to Oscar Robertson. Ha! Are you going to say he was comparable to Jerry West next? Lol! You said he was pretty great. Additionally, as I mentioned previously, I’ve been referring to college participation only. I’d give him an A defensively, an A in rebounding and a C in shooting, especially from the outside. He was tough as nails and Larry Humes was a good friend of his and I would take Jerry Sloan on my team in a heartbeat. I loved his play. I rooted for him throughout his career. I only put a very few in the “great” category.

I’m biased.

My first basketball heroes were Norm Van Lier, Bob Love, Chet Walker, Tom Boerwinkle, and Jerry Sloan.

I’m biased.

My first basketball heroes were Norm Van Lier, Bob Love, Chet Walker, Tom Boerwinkle, and Jerry Sloan.

You got to be kidding Stuhoo. I loved that team! Including Jerry Sloan. He took E’ville College, to Division 2 National Championships. Sloan and Norm Van Lier would not give up easy buckets. IMHO, Sloan was a great defensive player and rebounder! Good discussion, btw. I’m bummed to hear of his passing.

Since you’ve mentioned it several times.. who would be in your list of “great” college basketball players?

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Jalen Coleman Lands .... DePaul——> Iowa State

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wow, how many years has that kid played? Saw this and the 1st thing I thought of was Bluto saying, “7 years of college down the drain.”