Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

I have to give Painter credit for his successful deflection, I just can't believe how many seem to be falling for it though. 

Calling the player out after he decides to leave is nothing more than sour grapes. If Eastern was such a huge detriment to the team(and I don't doubt that he was a detriment at times) then it is the coach's responsibility to solve that problem one way or another. If a detriment to the team decides to leave voluntarily, then you celebrate quietly, be thankful you didn't have to make a tough decision and most importantly, you don't say a word to the media!

Don't have an issue with his comments if they are becuase of Nojel.

If he is insinuating that Haarms, who got a degree and played his heart out for you, is somehow not a "Boilermaker" because he elected to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule (something that Purdue has used to its advantage many times) and explore opportunities elsewhere, that makes him look like a hypocrite and a jackass. 

1 minute ago, hoosierbgh said:

I have to give Painter credit for his successful deflection, I just can't believe how many seem to be falling for it though. 

Calling the player out after he decides to leave is nothing more than sour grapes. If Eastern was such a huge detriment to the team(and I don't doubt that he was a detriment at times) then it is the coach's responsibility to solve that problem one way or another. If a detriment to the team decides to leave voluntarily, then you celebrate quietly, be thankful you didn't have to make a tough decision and most importantly, you don't say a word to the media!

Your post is excellent.

I guess Painter's response to that would be that he was doing everything possible to motivate these players to stick it out and concentrate on their improvement, and when they left anyway he was incredibly disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

Don't have an issue with his comments if they are becuase of Nojel.

If he is insinuating that Haarms, who got a degree and played his heart out for you, is somehow not a "Boilermaker" because he elected to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule (something that Purdue has used to its advantage many times) and explore opportunities elsewhere, that makes him look like a hypocrite and a jackass. 

Bingo

Here’s my thing judging by Nojels mom on their board. There’s no way he went to Purdue without being sold on fitting the offensive system. 

He clearly doesn’t fit.  So either A) Don’t mistakenly recruit kids bad for your system. The don’t get pissy when they leave B) Don’t sell a kid load of **** then get pissy when they leave

I have no problem with Painter's comments. These were two seniors that left the program after it had invested so much time in them. NOW I don't fault Nojel or Haarms for wanting to leave either, that is their decision and if it is what is best for them I can't judge that. 

What is funny though is I know if this were Archie making these comments, those supporting Painter right now would be all over Archie. And don't give me the crap that Painter has somehow earned it, he has been to 1 elite 8 in like 15 years. Either way, I can't wait to watch Purdue have to rely on Trevion Williams for 30+ minutes/night. 

I agree with the second thing he said. Which I’m assuming is about Eastern. The first thing is clearly about Haarms. That I don’t agree with. But that’s why I’m happy to be an Indiana fan. Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier. You just don’t seem to get that anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

14 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

I have no problem with Painter's comments. These were two seniors that left the program after it had invested so much time in them. NOW I don't fault Nojel or Haarms for wanting to leave either, that is their decision and if it is what is best for them I can't judge that. 

What is funny though is I know if this were Archie making these comments, those supporting Painter right now would be all over Archie. And don't give me the crap that Painter has somehow earned it, he has been to 1 elite 8 in like 15 years. Either way, I can't wait to watch Purdue have to rely on Trevion Williams for 30+ minutes/night. 

Hot take: Next year's Purdue team is a Trevion Williams sprained ankle away from being Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hot take: Next year's Purdue team is a Trevion Williams sprained ankle away from being Nebraska.

Not to mention he averaged less than 22 minutes last year and not due to a lack of ability. 

For 10 or more minutes a game they are going to be a line up that lacks defense, guard play and interior scoring. 

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Your post is excellent.

I guess Painter's response to that would be that he was doing everything possible to motivate these players to stick it out and concentrate on their improvement, and when they left anyway he was incredibly disappointed.

Thanks!

I'm sure Painter's response would be almost exactly along those lines and the frustration would be understandable to a point. The problem is a coach can't have it both ways publicly, either he is disappointed and leaves it at that or it is a frustration removed in which case he doesn't say anything. 

Painter's comments would be much more understandable and even laudable if Eastern were the first  player to leave this year instead of the most recent of several. Also, it would help if Painter hadn't used a similar deflection a few years ago when he talked about getting back to recruiting "Purdue type players" to excuse a poor season. 

Not to mention he averaged less than 22 minutes last year and not due to a lack of ability. 

For 10 or more minutes a game they are going to be a line up that lacks defense, guard play and interior scoring. 

They won’t be worse than last year. At worst, the same.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Painter is one of the better coaches in the Big 10 and usually has his teams outperforming their talent level. I suspect he will be fine. What he said needs to be said more by coaches. 

I think so too. I didn't hear anything I disagreed with (other than him saying "I like the Purdue players"!)

There are several coaches I detest, Painter isn't one of them. I think he runs a clean program and teaches a good brand of basketball.

I enjoy watching his team fail, but I think he's a decent human being. Lots of P5 coaches don't qualify for that, IMO. 

I agree with the second thing he said. Which I’m assuming is about Eastern. The first thing is clearly about Haarms. That I don’t agree with. But that’s why I’m happy to be an Indiana fan. Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier. You just don’t seem to get that anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
That is where I am at. His second remark is spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk