Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, Hoosier1984 said:

Well so much for being in the top 7 for the transfer from SF, Chris Minlend. Louisville $woop$ in and gets him. They weren’t even in his top 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We're not on Haarms' list of 25. Maybe he'll end up in Bloomington! 

5 hours ago, Hoosier1984 said:

Well so much for being in the top 7 for the transfer from SF, Chris Minlend. Louisville $woop$ in and gets him. They weren’t even in his top 7.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This potentially helps w Aminu?

I don't know why a shooting guard or a small forward would even consider transferring to IU. We will have four shooting guards on the roster next year (Al Durham, Armaan Franklin, Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway).  Plus assuming Kristian Lander re-classifies, we will two more guards who might on occasion play in the shooting guard slot (Phinisee & Lander). At the small forward slot we have three players--Jerome Hunter, Justin Smith and Damezi Anderson. Even were Anderson to transfer--as has been speculated (somebody would have to leave if we gain a grad transfer assuming Lander re-classifies)--that's still 8 players for 3 positions already on the roster. The grad transfer would have to be a truly great shooter to warrant it--either by IU or the player. If we're going to get a grad transfer, it needs to be a big to replace D'ron Davis or a really good 3-point shooter. Minlend shot 37% from 3-point range last year which is slightly less than what Durham shot (38.3%). Decent but not great.

I don't know why a shooting guard or a small forward would even consider transferring to IU. We will have four shooting guards on the roster next year (Al Durham, Armaan Franklin, Anthony Leal, Trey Galloway).  Plus assuming Kristian Lander re-classifies, we will two more guards who might on occasion play in the shooting guard slot (Phinisee & Lander). At the small forward slot we have three players--Jerome Hunter, Justin Smith and Damezi Anderson. Even were Anderson to transfer--as has been speculated (somebody would have to leave if we gain a grad transfer assuming Lander re-classifies)--that's still 8 players for 3 positions already on the roster. The grad transfer would have to be a truly great shooter to warrant it--either by IU or the player. If we're going to get a grad transfer, it needs to be a big to replace D'ron Davis or a really good 3-point shooter. Minlend shot 37% from 3-point range last year which is slightly less than what Durham shot (38.3%). Decent but not great.

That’s the fun with positionless basketball. There will be a couple of PG. A couple of true bigs. And a lot of wing type players that can play/guard multiple positions. Al can play 1-3. Jerome Hunter can play 2-4. Leal and Galloway will play mostly 2-3 as freshman. Anderson isn’t playing. Lander is a 1-2. Smith is 3-4. TJD is a 4-5. Brunk is a 5. I am with you we need more shooters. My guess is if we go that route they will be a 2-3. Starting next year for a couple of years we will go after bigs and it already started. I guess in 2022 we will go after another big. Probably another PG too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That’s the fun with positionless basketball. There will be a couple of PG. A couple of true bigs. And a lot of wing type players that can play/guard multiple positions. Al can play 1-3. Jerome Hunter can play 2-4. Leal and Galloway will play mostly 2-3 as freshman. Anderson isn’t playing. Lander is a 1-2. Smith is 3-4. TJD is a 4-5. Brunk is a 5. I am with you we need more shooters. My guess is if we go that route they will be a 2-3. Starting next year for a couple of years we will go after bigs and it already started. I guess in 2022 we will go after another big. Probably another PG too.

Anyone can play any position, but you need to at least be good at it to be considered a multi position player. Phinisee is a point guard solely. Durham can play the 2-3 but should never be playing the 1 or be a primary ball handler. Hunter can play the 3. Don’t think we’ve ever gotten to see him play in a lineup where he’d be the 4. Smith is a 3-4. TJD is a 4-5. Brunk a 5. Franklin a 2-3. Leal a 2-3. Galloway a 2-3. Geronimo a 2-3. Lander a 1-2.

We’re going to have Durham, Franklin, Leal, Lander, Galloway, Geronimo(6 guys) who can all play the 2 and Smith, Hunter, Durham, Franklin, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo who can all play the 3(7 guys). That sounds like an Archie type of roster. We have two guys who should be playing the 5 and the 5 only in TJD and Brunk. I think Smith and Hunter need to be getting a lot of time at the 4 for athleticism and versatility. But if say Smith is at the 4 then you have 6 guys basically to choose to play the 2 and 3 at any given time. Depth won’t be an issue.

Some Indiana Mr Basketball stats from their freshmen years. Hulls, Harris and Guy shoot better from 3 than anyone on our team from last season. Compared to our best shooter Durham who shot 38.3% on 2.9 attempts. Hulls did it on 3.8 attempts, Harris on 4.6 and Guy on 3. Had Durham shot 49.5% like Guy, he’d have scored 36 more points which would have put him at an average of 10.9 points per game. So a full point more per game.
IMG_3218.jpg

5 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

List of those who have declared for the Draft.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Two random observations:

-Goodness the SEC had a lot of early entrants. Mizzou sending three early from a team that wasn’t .500??

- Arizona with four leaving early. To me, they have been an example of a program trying to play the one and done game unsuccessfully. They churn five-stars, but never really get the one-year results to make it worth it. 

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And they’ll still be a Top 15 team next season.

Maybe to start the season. Why? I have NO idea whatsoever.

Riddle me this; how often is UK's end of season ranking as good as their pre-season ranking? I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "almost never."

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Richards and Quickley leaving UK too. 

Quite literally, it’s looking very much like UK will have exactly one player who has ever played for them; Keion Brooks.

I wish, somehow, some way he wouldn't be able to field a team due to everyone leaving.

28 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Maybe to start the season. Why? I have NO idea whatsoever.

Riddle me this; how often is UK's end of season ranking as good as their pre-season ranking? I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "almost never."

Okay ...I looked it up.

For the past ten years UK's pre-season AP rankings have been:

11, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 2, and 2.

For the past ten years UK's end of season AP rankings have been:

11, 1, Not Ranked, Not Ranked, 1, 10, 6, 18, 7, and 8.

Nothing to sneeze at, but nowhere near the pre-season hype.

Okay ...I looked it up.
For the past ten years UK's pre-season AP rankings have been:
11, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 2, and 2.
For the past ten years UK's end of season AP rankings have been:
11, 1, Not Ranked, Not Ranked, 1, 10, 6, 18, 7, and 8.

Nothing to sneeze at, but nowhere near the pre-season hype.

From what I looked up
2020: Pre- 2, End- 8
2019: Pre- 2, End- 7
2018: Pre- 5, End- 8
2017: Pre- 3, End- 5
2016: Pre- 2, End- 10
2015: Pre- 1, End- 1
2014: Pre- 1, End- NR(ended up in weird title game)
2013: Pre- 3, End- NR(Lost to Robert Morris in NIT. LOL)
2012: Pre- 2, End- 1
2011: Pre- 11, End- 11

So they’ve started every year except 2011 in the Top 5. Which is wild. And they’ve only ended outside the Top 10 3 times and one being 11th. Also wild.
To go a little further...
2010: Pre- 4, End- 2(Cals first year)
Gillespie years....
2009: Pre- NR, End- NR
2008: Pre- 20, End- NR
Last 2 Tubby years...
2007: Pre- 22, End- NR
2006: Pre- 9, End- NR