Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s certainly interesting to see with all the guys transferring that Brooks isn’t one of them.  Perhaps he’s counting on PT next year due to a short bench. 

I found it mildly interesting that it was daddy doing all the talking.

We are worried about TJD leaving after his sophomore year because he was good as a freshman and averaged 13.5 points and 8.4 boards... but when do you get a guy like Tyler Hansbrough again? He averaged 18.9 and 7.8 as a freshman at UNC. That UNC team was 23-8 and lost in the 2nd round. His Sophomore year he averaged 18.4 and 7.9 and UNC went 31-7 and lost in the Elite 8. Junior year averaged 22.6 and 10.2 and UNC went 36-3 and lost in the Final Four. Senior year averaged 20.7 and 8.1, UNC went 34-4 and won a national title. How did he stick around for 4 years? Did he just have that kind of mentality? He was called Psycho T for a reason and is probably in my Top 10 for favorite players all-time. Seems now if a freshman averaged 8 points then they better be looking at their draft status. Hansbrough was a beast from day 1, was a Top 10 recruit and stayed. And yet we are worried about TJD leaving early? A kid who clearly has a ton to still work on. How did it get to this point?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

26 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

.....How did it get to this point?

Probably a few factors, but it's almost entirely the NBA's fault. In my opinion there shouldn't be any constraint on when a player can get drafted. Kobe, LeBron, Moses Malone, etc SHOULD be drafter out of high school. The problem is the NBA has no discipline and started gambling on guys that were a stretch. Instead of allowing them to mature and develop it became about potential and measurables. Who cares if this kid can't shoot and doesn't know how to wipe his own butt? He has really long arms! It's pathetic and embarrassing. The NBA is supposed to be the adults in the room and instead pander to the lowest common denominator so some GM can look like the smartest guy in the room for taking 19yr old "next Fill in the blank" when they usually turn out to be the next Greg Oden. The NBA product has suffered (again, IMO) as a result too. They should be able to draft kids, just shouldn't do it very often, but they are too smart for that. 

It’s been a slow rebuild, but I really think we’re headed in the right direction. There’s many big “ifs”, but mainly (imo) if TJD stays, 2021 might be IU’s return to national prominence (not necessarily a national championship, but final four/elite 8 run), and I think we’d be set up well for sustained success

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How did it get to this point?

I've been asking that multiple times in the last few weeks. TJD hasn't appeared in any mock drafts that I've seen, yet so many of our fans were convinced he'd be gone this spring, and the idea of him being here as a junior is dismissed as unrealistic. 

Garza from Iowa is another example. Somebody on another board said he should leave this year because his stock will never be higher. I pointed out he isn't projected to be drafted, so he really doesn't have any "stock." (that's another word that I'm seeing a lot, in addition to "potential")

It used to be that guys only left if they were lottery picks. Then it became first round, then it became appearing anywhere in the draft, now guys are being mentioned when they aren't likely to be drafted at all "because their stock will never get higher." I hate what it's done to basketball, and it makes it harder to enjoy the success our players achieve, because there's a perpetual fear that we'll lose someone and be scrambling to fill the void. 

Some players, like Juwan Morgan and Yogi Farrell, who aren't projected to be drafted stick around for 4 years. Others, like James Blackmon, who don't think they will get anything more out of college leave after 2 or 3 years. Not sure why some think this is a big deal. Schools usually know what they are getting when they recruit these players.

I've been asking that multiple times in the last few weeks. TJD hasn't appeared in any mock drafts that I've seen, yet so many of our fans were convinced he'd be gone this spring, and the idea of him being here as a junior is dismissed as unrealistic. 

Garza from Iowa is another example. Somebody on another board said he should leave this year because his stock will never be higher. I pointed out he isn't projected to be drafted, so he really doesn't have any "stock." (that's another word that I'm seeing a lot, in addition to "potential")

It used to be that guys only left if they were lottery picks. Then it became first round, then it became appearing anywhere in the draft, now guys are being mentioned when they aren't likely to be drafted at all "because their stock will never get higher." I hate what it's done to basketball, and it makes it harder to enjoy the success our players achieve, because there's a perpetual fear that we'll lose someone and be scrambling to fill the void. 

That’s what doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re a second rounder or worse, return to school. If you’re a freshman, return to school. You can move up if you put the work in. If you’re a sophomore, the same. If you’re a Junior, you’re a junior and you averaged 24ppg and still aren’t in any mock drafts? Return to school or if you’re at best a second round round pick. I’ve brought this up before but Dean Smith has the rule that if you’re not a lock for the lottery, to return. I could see now that being a lock for the Top 20. Leaving to be a 2nd round pick just isn’t worth it because you can continue being a star and king on campus if you just return. Kendrick Nunns story isn’t the normal. That’s rare.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Do we have a running list of all which team is losing?

Don't know that you can readily find such a list by school.  Site below will bring up schools by conference but you'll have to further click on each school in the conference for details.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/TransferPortal/#Big-Ten

I think Inside The Hall  has been publishing a list for the B1G on a periodic basis.

In the B1G you have to think OSU and Illinois are the big losers. Props to Underwood for getting that extension when he did.