Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Regardless of who gets in I will be enjoying every minute of it each year. I was in Dayton when the Bonnies beat UCLA and it was awesome and I was there win Michigan beat Tulsa and it was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just because you enjoy it, doesn’t mean standards haven’t dropped.

Just because you enjoy it, doesn’t mean standards haven’t dropped.

Not my problem or concern if some people think standards have dropped. If they don’t like the product then they don’t have to watch but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they will watch anyway. Enjoy the next 2 weeks fellow hoops junkies

Not my problem or concern if some people think standards have dropped. If they don’t like the product then they don’t have to watch but I’m going to go out on a limb and say they will watch anyway. Enjoy the next 2 weeks fellow hoops junkies

I’d say the majority would say college basketball has went down recently and for whatever reasons. Yea we will enjoy it, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t acknowledge the product isn’t as good.

Is the increase in losing conference records indicative of lower standards or the recognition that a team that goes 9-11 in the big ten is probably still better than 95%+ of the non power 5 schools 

Are we talking about just like eye test being better or performance in the NCAA tourney better? Because those teams will get compared to those at large mid majors seeded in the same area. Back in the early 2000’s from 2000-2005 there were 3 teams with losing conference records and 34 mid majors selected in the same seeding area. Was the tourney any worse then?

Is the increase in losing conference records indicative of lower standards or the recognition that a team that goes 9-11 in the big ten is probably still better than 95%+ of the non power 5 schools 

Those mid majors that have gotten in, have performed pretty well. But recently we are seeing less get in. I think the big problem and the biggest difference is conference realignment. Bigger conferences makes it more watered down. More teams with more losses. ACC has 15 teams, Big Ten and SEC have 14. Honestly I wish the Big Ten was back to 11. Would be great with this 20 game conference schedule.

Teams under .500 getting in since 2000

2019: 4
2018: 5
2017: 1
2016: 0
2015: 2
2014: 1
2013: 1
2012: 1
2011: 0
2010: 1
2009: 1
2008: 1
2007: 2
2006: 0
2005: 2
2004: 0
2003: 1
2002: 0
2001: 0
2000: 0

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

To expand on this By decade
60’s-1
70’s-0
80’s-7
90’s-15 (including IU in 1990)
2000-2009-7
2010-2019-17

60’s-1
70’s-0
80’s-7
2000-2009-7
2010-2019-17

first year in 1939 the field was 7 teams
In the early 50’s 16 teams, then from 53-74 around 22-25 teams
32 teams in 75
Field expanded to 64 in 1985
In 2011 68 teams

2 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

If you like missed 3’s you should tune into this Miami/Clemson game. Teams are a combined 8 for 39 from distance. Loser becomes ineligible for the NIT, so kind of an appropriate display by the two. 

Good post. Made me laugh with that last sentence. It’s the absolute truth though

60’s-1
70’s-0
80’s-7
2000-2009-7
2010-2019-17

I tried explaining a few weeks back that the world didn’t begin when he was born and what he is complaining about now isn’t new. Still hasn’t sunk in yet. Sorry about Dayton USPS.

I tried explaining a few weeks back that the world didn’t begin when he was born and what he is complaining about now isn’t new. Still hasn’t sunk in yet. Sorry about Dayton USPS.

Thanks. Stinks not being able to go because it’s such a great time and our little trip away from the kids for a couple of days. Glad they will still be playing them and I’m able to watch them at home

16 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Nail being hit on the head.

18 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Vitale continuing the rant:

”You gotta be above .500. Otherwise you’re below the Mendoza line!”

Um Dickie V ...

The Mendoza line was named for a weak hitting Pittsburgh Pirates 1970s infielder named Mario Mendoza. His career batting average was below .200; hence the Mendoza line describing teams and players that are below 20% at something.

Heard that, Vitale must have been thinking nobody knew what the Mendoza line was or he didn't know.